Large cap mags?

Naz

I've heard some say that in Mass if you have a Class A LTC, you can own ANY high cap mag, not just pre-1994.

I was under the impression that a class A only allowed you to own pre-ban large cap mags, i.e. pre-1994.

I have my LTC class A, can I have post-1994 large cap mags?

Section 131M. No person shall sell, offer for sale, transfer or possess an assault weapon or a large capacity feeding device that was not otherwise lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994. Whoever not being licensed under the provisions of section 122 violates the provisions of this section shall be punished, for a first offense, by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000 or by imprisonment for not less than one year nor more than ten years, or by both such fine and imprisonment, and for a second offense, by a fine of not less than $5,000 nor more than $15,000 or by imprisonment for not less than five years nor more than 15 years, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to: (i) the possession by a law enforcement officer for purposes of law enforcement; or (ii) the possession by an individual who is retired from service with a law enforcement agency and is not otherwise prohibited from receiving such a weapon or feeding device from such agency upon retirement.

140 M.G.L. 131M.

Remember that it's never up to you to prove that the magazine is post-ban, but up to the prosecutor to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that it's post-ban. Still, if you're uncertain, note the potential penalty carefully. Even though you'd most likely get off with the minimum fine and no jail time, you'd still be federally disqualified from ever possessing any firearm or ammunition for the rest of your life.

Ken

As the web site says; "A rebuild kit is a magazine that has been disassembled into parts and is only to be used to rebuild a damaged magazine that the customer already legally owns."

I have many old magazines (Glock, etc) and have replaced parts such as springs and followers. All perfectly legal.
If you play with fire, you might get burnt. Don't.

As the web site says; "A rebuild kit is a magazine that has been disassembled into parts and is only to be used to rebuild a damaged magazine that the customer already legally owns."

I have many old magazines (Glock, etc) and have replaced parts such as springs and followers. All perfectly legal.
If you play with fire, you might get burnt. Don't.

Thanks for the reply. I am by no means looking to play with fire. I was thinking about purchasing some pre-ban mags, but I have heard some varying reviews on the reliability of these older magazines with a newer 3rd generation Glock. I am just wondering as to whats considered "rebuilt". Such as how many parts could I replace with newer parts.

There is nothing wrong with using older mags with newer Glocks. Just be aware some of the older mags don't drop free.

If the springs are weak (most common problem) you can get packs of them from Wolff gunsprings.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom