Large asteroid to come within 21K miles of earth in Feb. 2013

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member
http://earthsky.org/space/asteroid-2012-da14-will-pass-very-close-to-earth-in-2013

2012_DA14.jpeg

A near-Earth asteroid – called 2012 DA14 by astronomers – will pass very close to Earth on February 15, 2013. Astronomers estimate that, when it’s closest to us, the asteroid will be about 21,000 miles (35,000 kilometers) away – much closer than Earth’s moon (about 240,000 miles away) – and closer even than some of our own orbiting satellites. Astronomers’ calculations of asteroid orbits can be trusted. After all, even decades ago, they knew enough about calculating orbits to send people to the moon and bring them safely back, and today we are able place our space vehicles in orbit around objects as small as asteroids. So, no, 2012 DA14 won’t strike us in 2013. There was a remote possibility it might strike us in 2020, but that possibility has been ruled out also.

1.Douglas.Henderson_Albert.asteroid1.jpg

http://earthsky.org/space/asteroid-2012-da14-will-pass-very-close-to-earth-in-2013

A near-Earth asteroid – called 2012 DA14 by astronomers – will pass very close to Earth on February 15, 2013. Astronomers estimate that, when it’s closest to us, the asteroid will be about 21,000 miles (35,000 kilometers) away – much closer than Earth’s moon (about 240,000 miles away) – and closer even than some of our own orbiting satellites. Astronomers’ calculations of asteroid orbits can be trusted. After all, even decades ago, they knew enough about calculating orbits to send people to the moon and bring them safely back, and today we are able place our space vehicles in orbit around objects as small as asteroids. So, no, 2012 DA14 won’t strike us in 2013. There was a remote possibility it might strike us in 2020, but that possibility has been ruled out also.

The Mayans were off by 2 months!

Sent from my chimney using smoke signals.

Last edited:
Last edited:
With any luck, radiation from the asteroid will penetrate the earth's atmosphere and gives rise to the zombie apocalypse!

Lucifers Hammer?

Head for the mountains!

That was an excellent book.

I re-read it a couple years ago and I followed the paths of the refugees using Google Earth and MS Maps. You can literally follow them right up to the Senator's ranch. Amazing attention to detail. Well, except for where the girl that was killed halfway through was fighting in the epic battle at the end...

They know it's gonna hit....they know where it's gonna hit.....hence all the .gov ammo purchases for when the SHTF. [shocked] [tinfoil]

Well, given our choices in the upcoming election. I can't say I'd be too disappointed if it hits...

Front row seat, please!

You might be on to something though. If they knew an asteroid was going to hit the earth and there was nothing anyone could do about it, this would be a pretty good cover. Amateur astronomers are going to be able to see it as it approaches. Having already heard that it's going to be a near miss would keep them from sounding the alarm.

Last edited:
Well, given our choices in the upcoming election. I can't say I'd be too disappointed if it hits...

Front row seat, please!

You might be on to something though. If they knew an asteroid was going to hit the earth and there was nothing anyone could do about it, this would be a pretty good cover. Amateur astronomers are going to be able to see it as it approaches. Having already heard that it's going to be a near miss would keep them from sounding the alarm.

'Armageddon' & 'Deep Impact'... Yes, both fictional movies. Both keep the 'masses' in the dark for as long as possible. In one, the more equal people are stocking up for the event because they know. At this point, tinfoil or not, it wouldn't surprise me. Like you said about the amateur astronomers, no alarms & those who do figure it out, they'll be debunked.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Truth is stranger than fiction. It may not be this one but there will be one and we won't be told. [hmmm]

That was an excellent book.

I re-read it a couple years ago and I followed the paths of the refugees using Google Earth and MS Maps. You can literally follow them right up to the Senator's ranch. Amazing attention to detail. Well, except for where the girl that was killed halfway through was fighting in the epic battle at the end...

http://www.onread.com/fbreader/191640/

Found it online

does not matter what would you do any way if some think that big hits this planet just grab your knees and kiss your ass good buy

Hmmm. 1.4 billion rounds of .40 JHP, fired at the same time, ... carry the 7, ... oh, sorry, .40 ain't gonna do it, maybe if they went with .45 it could work but it's too late for that now.

They know it's gonna hit....they know where it's gonna hit.....hence all the .gov ammo purchases for when the SHTF. [shocked] [tinfoil]

Back
Top Bottom