Lap band surgery

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Has anyone had this done?

I'm at a sort of desperate point where Im considering this, but my dieting/exercising regimens over the years, and I'd say between the time I turned 25 to now @ 38, have been an absolute failure. I've got a wife and a small child at home and frankly, I look and feel like shit and its killing my motivation.

Really considering this and yes, I know its drastic.

BattleSnail

Banned
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Has anyone had this done?

I'm at a sort of desperate point where Im considering this, but my dieting/exercising regimens over the years, and I'd say between the time I turned 25 to now @ 38, have been an absolute failure. I've got a wife and a small child at home and frankly, I look and feel like shit and its killing my motivation.

Really considering this and yes, I know its drastic.
I know a couple people who've had it done. They're both still huge. One, a guy, figured out how to continue overeating anyway. The girl I know who had it done lost a bunch of weight and within a year of the device coming out she was huge again.

Have you met with nutritionists? Considered a personal trainer? If you can learn how to eat properly and learn out to exercise efficiently and correctly, you might have a better chance. Of course these aren't cheap options and I'd wager a bet that insurance would cover the lap band but not the other, healthier alternative, but if you look at it like an investment it might be one that has a great return. Of course I know nothing about your finances or if this is even possible for you.

Maybe you could get a personal trainer to work with you 2 or 3 days a week and you could then use their plan and exercise alone for the other 2 or 3 days a week with a day or 2 off. maybe add support groups?

Struggling with weight sucks, I've had the problem my whole life. Not morbidly obese or anything but I could stand to lose a good 50 pounds or more. I can never seem to get there though and the one time I did (got down to 197 from like 260) I gained it all back in a matter of months.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm 35 with a wife an two small children . My well being and fitness went to $hit after getting married and having kids so I know where your coming from. The last straw was having to rock myself off the couch at 340 lbs. I looked into the lap band and decided it wasn't for me due to the risks and side effects. That day I decided to clean up my act.

I got an account on myfitnesspal and started honestly tracking what i was eating and I promised myself it would exercise. and it worked.

You sound like your on the edge of being motivated. Just take that next step and hold yourself accountable.

This was taken a couple of months back at my gym... I'm down another 10 or so lbs since then.

Garys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
80   0   0
Tufts Medical Center does a lot of them. From people I know who have had it done, the first thing you have to do is prove you are committed to the program by losing weight without it. In the case of one guy I know, it was 50 pounds. You also have to have pre surgery counseling and attend the support group meetings after the surgery. It can work, but the patient has to be 100% committed to it. I know some people who have had fantastic results with it, and some that have lost weight and then put it all (and more) back on.

The first thing I'd recommend is talking to you primary care physician. If you don't have one, get one.

My wife didn't need to lose that much weight, but her doctor recommended the Dukan Diet. In fact, her doctor used it to lose over 40 pounds. It's a high protein, low carb diet. It worked great for my wife. The hardest part is once you reach your goal, maintaining it.

Good luck. Losing weight gets much harder as you get older.

bfm

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Of the two people I know that had it done, one is doing great three yeasrs later and is still way down on wieght. The other rebounded and put back on half of what was lost, and that is with the band still in.

I also work with someone who went from over 400 to under 200 with doctor supervised diet and exercise. He took in 1200 to 1500 calories a day and got several hours of exercise a day. He also rebounded a little, but is still around 200. He is 5'9". So far, he is going on over two years at his lower weight and seems to be doing pretty good at it.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I know two people who had this done. For both of them, the weight came off incredibly quickly. For both of them, within a few years their weights went back up. The thing that the surgery does is enforce a diet, but it is only a temporary change. If you can manage to change your diet without surgery, you are more likely to keep the weight of in the long run.

boilermaker

NES Member
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Tufts Medical Center does a lot of them. From people I know who have had it done, the first thing you have to do is prove you are committed to the program by losing weight without it. In the case of one guy I know, it was 50 pounds. You also have to have pre surgery counseling and attend the support group meetings after the surgery. It can work, but the patient has to be 100% committed to it. I know some people who have had fantastic results with it, and some that have lost weight and then put it all (and more) back on.
My BIL's ex wife had it done. Just like Garys mentions, she had to attend pre surgery classes and had to lose some weight prior to the surgery to prove she was vested. She had it done and it did provide some result although she does not stick to the no booze and dietary requirements like she should. The results are up to you and how dedicated you remain to it.

rjh200

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Might be far from you but the people here are awesome: http://www.skillofstrength.com/ Amanda runs a very realistic online nutrition program that I really enjoyed and their trainers are some of the best I have ever seen. Mike and Steve are able to work with individuals like no others I have ever worked with before to the point that they have people from High school age to people in their seventies with disabilities working side by side. Even if you don't go work out with them, just talking to Mike and Amanda can be very beneficial because they understand fitness is not a lifestyle for everyone.

Rating - 100%
15   0   2
I would start with www.myfitnesspal.com. It's been working for my wife. It allows you to track what you eat and how "balanced" your diet is. My wife discovered that her's was carb heavy which was slowing her weight loss down. She's now done 70 pounds in the last 12 months. She's also doing T25 workouts (same guy that does Insanity) and has added 10 strength training videos. It's a committment but she's doing it.

You have to realize too that it isn't just you adjusting, it's a family committment. When she started trying to lose weight, I agreed to do it with her. We both started with Weight Watchers Online. We both had to adjust what we ate and how we prepared meals, including for the kids. We agreed to get rid of a lot of the junk in house and worked together to keep each other on track. We've both agreed that if only one of us was doing it, we'd have failed long before now.

Also realize that you can't change instantly everything. You need to start small. You'll lose more and keep it off if it's a slow, steady life-style change. If you try to give up everything right away, you'll revolt and go back to the way you were before. So allow yourself some flexibility. I have a serious sweet-tooth. I could put away a bag of double stuff Oreos in a heartbeat. So I stopped getting oreos and switched to the Little Drummies Snack size ice cream cones. It's just enough to take the edge off the sweet tooth, but prevents me from going crazy. Small changes to start.

Good luck,
Aloha

natf

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
My wife had it done five years ago. She's lost quite a bit of weight but still hasn't reached her goal. I consider the drastic increase in her exercise the real reason for her success so far. The lap band isn't going to change your life, you need to. In fact at one point my wife had gained back 50 pounds before she got back on track and lost it again. The band can act as a reinforcement mechanism to improve your eating habits but it's also very easy to work around it and continue bad habits. It also seems to have a high failure rate. Two other people I know have also had it done. One person I haven't seen in a few years but she had reached her goal weight then gained it all back before begining to lose weight again last time I saw her. The other I saw just the other day and has gained all the weight back after losing a considerable amount over the years.

It's not a panacea - it's a tool that can help you but it's not going to work without a huge amount of discipline and additional effort on your part. I've considered it myself, and I know that I need to change my habits before it will work for me.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had an RNY gastric bypass when I was 30 it was the best thing I have ever done for myself when I went for my first appointment with Dr. Kuhn I weighed 404 pounds I had the surgery 4 months later and within the first year I dropped my weight to 210 it is now 6 years later and I am maintaining a weight of 225-230 for me it was the right choice and I have had 0 complications bay state has a really good weight loss program you should look into one of their support group meetings to get a feel for what it is like

beaker

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
If you haven't tried the Atkins diet you should buy the book and give it a try. It is the sugar and carbs that do it to you.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro - typos are from the GD auto correct unless they are funny substitutions those I'll take credit for.

Big_Red

NES Member
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
He took in 1200 to 1500 calories a day and got several hours of exercise a day.
^ This right here is the key to ALL weight loss. You cut down your caloric intake and burn stored calories by exercising. If you are not into exercising, just cutting down you calories will cause you to lose weight. A few years ago I was at 250 pounds. Lost 50 pounds in about 8 months by only cutting down my calories. Had I been exercising I would have lost it faster. I gained about 30 pounds back over a period of 2 years because I got lazy and didn't care what I ate. I am losing weight again by not stuffing my face as much. I try to keep my calories between 1200 and 1400 a day.

Garys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
80   0   0
Keep in mind that muscle weighs more than fat. Muscle is also hydropscopic, while fat is hydrophobic. If you exercise and eat properly, you might in fact put on weight, but lose fat. You'll look and feel better, but the scale will say you weigh more.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
would it be rude to ask what weight you are at now and where you want to be?

I have been overweight since 12-14 years old, I recently dropped 30 pounds with slight dietary changes and exercise. before that i had dropped 30 pounds with just slight diet changes
at my heaviest I was 275+, I am now 208. and I thought I would never be able to change my diet.

I work with a guy who had the surgery done and he lost weight fast, then he put some back on, now he tries to live a healthy lifestyle and works out all the time to stay skinny

I actually eat MORE now than I did when I was 275+, it's just much better quality food and I exercise 4-5 times a week

Queen Bee

NES Member
Rating - 73.9%
17   6   0
As a Surgical Technologist who has done all those surgery.. i am telling you forget the Lap Band surgery. If you are going to do it , go for a "Laproscopic Gastric Sleeve" or Laproscopic Gastric Bypass surgery.. it has a higher success rate and overall better outcome.

If you like .. i can recommend surgeons for you. Pm me if you want .

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have two relatives that have had this done and the results are similar to what others have reported. A lap band isn't a magic bullet that will make you thin. You can still eat terrible things and if you eat them slowly and often you can still overeat easily (just not all at one time). Unless you're willing to commit to a real lifestyle change you won't be able to keep the weight off. You have to either alter your diet, increase exercise or (best case scenario) both. I also recommend a smartphone app (or several). A calorie tracker tends to keep you very honest if you follow through with it. I use Loseit! but there are others out there (my fitness pal, etc). I also highly recommend getting into a routine with exercise... running 3 times a week with a C25K program (Couch to 5k) is a great start. You'll be in better shape because you're burning calories and increasing your cardio.

The biggest thing you need to do to start is to make the commitment to make this change. For those of us not blessed with a high metabolism, it is a commitment. You can/will see results sooner than you expect though... I went from being 250+ and never running to running a 5K within about 2 1/2 months. Once you start exercising, you will start feeling better (although the first couple of weeks will be hard). That's why a C25K program is great... it builds you up gradually.

I agree totally with the person who said this is a family commitment. If you're able to make the commitment but your wife is still cooking mac and cheese and other shitty unhealthy food every night then it's not going to work. It all starts with you being able to make the commitment though. Good luck.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have two relatives that have had this done and the results are similar to what others have reported. A lap band isn't a magic bullet that will make you thin. You can still eat terrible things and if you eat them slowly and often you can still overeat easily (just not all at one time). Unless you're willing to commit to a real lifestyle change you won't be able to keep the weight off. You have to either alter your diet, increase exercise or (best case scenario) both. I also recommend a smartphone app (or several). A calorie tracker tends to keep you very honest if you follow through with it. I use Loseit! but there are others out there (my fitness pal, etc). I also highly recommend getting into a routine with exercise... running 3 times a week with a C25K program (Couch to 5k) is a great start. You'll be in better shape because you're burning calories and increasing your cardio.

The biggest thing you need to do to start is to make the commitment to make this change. For those of us not blessed with a high metabolism, it is a commitment. You can/will see results sooner than you expect though... I went from being 250+ and never running to running a 5K within about 2 1/2 months. Once you start exercising, you will start feeling better (although the first couple of weeks will be hard). That's why a C25K program is great... it builds you up gradually.

I agree totally with the person who said this is a family commitment. If you're able to make the commitment but your wife is still cooking mac and cheese and other shitty unhealthy food every night then it's not going to work. It all starts with you being able to make the commitment though. Good luck.
I agree with all of this, I went from fishing being my most physical activity to doing a spartan race, insanity workout programs, lifting weights, running 5k etc but it took many small steps to get there.
I went from eating horrible foods to a mostly paleo diet, barely cooking to making delicious meals every day

never thought I could do it. A coworker inspired me by going from 315+ to 190

again, I think the surgery is an option worth exploring but regardless what route you go you need to commit to a healthier lifestyle

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Have you met with nutritionists? Considered a personal trainer? If you can learn how to eat properly and learn out to exercise efficiently and correctly, you might have a better chance. Of course these aren't cheap options and I'd wager a bet that insurance would cover the lap band but not the other, healthier alternative,
I would call your insurance and ask. Mine pays for an gym membership, among other things. They make more money if you are slender and healthy, and if they can do it without expensive surgery and potential after-effects, it it would be worth their while. They may have programs for weight loss.

I did weight watchers in 2008, went from 200 to 175 in two months, and kept it off until I left weight watchers. Several people there (all men) lost 100lbs+. Its about cataloging what you eat and how much, more than a diet. I have found success removing sugar from coffee, no soda except on weekends, various things like that.

I have also had success doing exercise groups (like cardio-kickboxing, spinning, etc) at the gym, rather than showing up by myself.

Do you have a house? Set up a heavy bag with pictures of the Joint committee on public safety. Read ten posts in the Deleo thread, you will have the energy to do a boxing workout. Yes, I am (mostly) serious.

Cowgirlup

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know two people who had this done. For both of them, the weight came off incredibly quickly. For both of them, within a few years their weights went back up. The thing that the surgery does is enforce a diet, but it is only a temporary change. If you can manage to change your diet without surgery, you are more likely to keep the weight of in the long run.

Find the right kind of diet and exercise program for you and don't rush losing the weight. Many people who go on extreme diets and exercise programs frequently end up right back where they were once they lose a bunch of weight. Also choose realistic goals and focus on feeling better. If you look at the whole amount of weight you want to lose if will seem impossible. And remember if you are also building muscle it is heavier than fat so don't be completely focused on numbers on a scale. Go by how well your clothes fit and if you are losing inches.

Aim for 15lbs. Cut out 1 bad thing from your diet. Once you get comfortable with that then make another dietary change. Start with some type of exercise that you can do. Even some bicep curls from your comfy chair is better than nothing.

Big thing is to also make sure your family is on board so they aren't sabotaging your diet.

I wish you the best. Of the 2 people who had surgery one got even bigger afterwards. The other is doing OK but she will never be a small woman.. The surgery kept her around 200lbs instead of the 400 potential that runs in her family.

RHJJ

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I know 2 people that had it done. One gained all the weight back, the other kept the weight off. The difference was one changed his eating habits and exercised, the other kept her old life style and gained it all back. Like others have said it is up to you to change your life style.

center442

NES Member
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I did not have the lap-band surgery, I had a "traditional" gastric bypass, done at Tuft's. I weighed close to 500 pounds prior to the surgery. I have to estimate, because my first official weigh-in put me at 475 and I had already lost some weight. The surgery was performed about 8 years ago. My weight as of yesterday was 231, which means I have to cut back over the next couple of weeks. My goal is to keep my weight between 220-230.

Prior to the surgery I was diabetic, had sleep apnea, extensive knee pain and joint deterioration, and generally felt crummy. I have not been diabetic since 24 hours after the surgery. My sleep apnea is gone. I've had one knee replacement and will probably do the second one in the coming year. My remaining bad knee is mildly painful, but nothing like what it was before. I had blood work for my physical last month. My Doctor described the lab results as excellent, and said that he has patients in their 20's with worse results than mine. (I'm in my 60's)

Whether you go with the lap-band or the bypass, I heartily recommend Tufts. They do more of these procedures in one week than most centers do in a month....and they have better results. They will make their statistics available at your request.

They will not take you on as a patient unless you agree, in writing, to follow their program. (They do psychological screening to weed out people who have mental/emotional issues that may be causing the obesity.) Follow their program. I hated driving to Boston for the meetings (pre and post operation) but I am glad now that I did. Resign yourself to the fact that you will have to monitor what you eat and drink for the rest of your life. I still keep a daily log of everything I eat to monitor my calorie and protein intake.

As others have said, you can regain much of the weight you lose if you don't pay attention. If you treat weight loss surgery as an aid to losing weight you will be successful. If you treat it as something that you can "beat" you will beat it...but you'll lose in the end.

I've already rambled on too long, but PM me if you want any info on what my experience was like. I'll be happy to share my experiences with you or anyone else that may be considering lap-band or bypass.

Michele

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Please don't have surgery. Get out and put some time aside to just walk
if you can or...Join a gym. Maybe your insurance will cover the cost.
I joined one and am on my 13th week of five day a week workouts. I hike on the
treadmill and lift weights all five days. Lot of gyms now have free personal trainers
that will help you design a workout for your needs. I made my own and I sort of
follow Paleo style eating...well I try anyway. On the weekends I eat what I want
but I'm finding that the more muscles I develop, the more I crave healthy foods to feed
them. Guys lose weight and build muscle faster than women so you have that on
your side. I think there is a biggest loser thread somewhere on this forum. You should
search for it and subscribe. It is always motivating when you read other peoples
success stories.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
If you reduce your total carb intake to less than 80g a day, you will burn fat, and quickly. No need for surgery or being hungry all the time.

Buy the book Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf. In addition to being the most useful book you may ever read, it is also quite entertaining.

Top Bottom