• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Language for "Reason for Issuance" on LTC application

I'm in the process of completing my first Class A LTC application and wondering if there is any "recommended" language for the Purpose/Reason for Issuance section.

I'd expect to use this firearm primarily for target/sport but most certainly want to reserve my right to carry for personal/home protection. Though, I live in about as safe a town as you can find.

I just don't want to have this come back as Class A - Restricted.

Any thoughts?

Don't give them an excuse to restrict your license. NEVER put "sporting and target" on there for them.

The accepted answer, with no other explanation, is "FOR ALL LAWFUL PURPOSES" [wink]

Is it really acceptable to have such a short to the point answer to what I assume they see as one of the most pivitol questions on the application?

Seems to me they'd be looking for much more....but again, I'm new to this.

Sorry one more thought-

I'd think that as you sit with the Chief to review the application they'd dig a little deeper on that one would they not?

Is it really advisable to respond with a poker faced, "For All Lawful Purposes sir" ?

Seems in MA it's almost as much a personality thing to get an LTC with no restrictions - I just don't want to come off as being a punk.

Well, I don't sit with my cheif and do an interview. I just dropped off the app, did the fingerprints, pictures, and was out the door.

Someone that had to sit through an interview with thier cheif would be better suited to answer that one...

Saint194 said:
Is it really acceptable to have such a short to the point answer to what I assume they see as one of the most pivitol questions on the application?

Seems to me they'd be looking for much more....but again, I'm new to this.
I applied for my license in Somerville, which is one of the harder towns to get a license in. When I filled out the application I put down a whole list of reasons why I needed a Class A. They took one look at my application and wrote down "For All Lawful Purposes."
Of course I still wound up with a Sporting and Target, but yes, writing "All Lawful Purposes" is enough. However, if you want to expand on that, there is no reason not to.

"Since in Massachusetts you need the license to do EVERYTHING with a firearm, the only language that covers every use defined in the law itself is 'All Lawful Purposes'. Anything else could be interpreted differently by whatever person happened to be reading it."

Again, as C-fer said, it comes down to where you are applying.

Saint194 said:
Sorry one more thought-

I'd think that as you sit with the Chief to review the application they'd dig a little deeper on that one would they not?

Is it really advisable to respond with a poker faced, "For All Lawful Purposes sir" ?

Seems in MA it's almost as much a personality thing to get an LTC with no restrictions - I just don't want to come off as being a punk.

And depending on what town you're in, you'll never even see the Chief. They have other officers who run the Licensing section. Those are the guys you'll see and talk to, they just have the Chief sign off on you after they've decided what license to give you.

If you WANT an unrestricted license, then why would you use a "poker face" to tell them that? My reason for application is to have unrestricted use of a firearm for all lawful purposes...

Thoughts on this language?

Reason for Issuance:
"I am applying for a Class A LTC with an Unrestricted or For All Lawful Purposes designation. I expect to use this firearm primarily for target practice at local ranges but would like to reserve the right to carry for personal/home protection in the event the need arose. "

Saint194 said:

Reason for Issuance:
"I am applying for a Class A LTC with an Unrestricted or For All Lawful Purposes designation. I expect to use this firearm primarily for target practice at local ranges but would like to reserve the right to carry for personal/home protection in the event the need arose. "

Without knowing what town you live in, I would really be apprehensive about using the word "target" in there if you want an unrestricted license. The first sentence alone sounds fine. I can't say it enough, that if you tell them you want a license for target shooting, they will give you a Sporting and Target license unless you live in a town that only gives out Class A LTC- ALP (knock on wood, wouldn't that be nice?).

What town are you in?

Saint194 said:
I'm in the process of completing my first Class A LTC application and wondering if there is any "recommended" language for the Purpose/Reason for Issuance section.

I just don't want to have this come back as Class A - Restricted.

Any thoughts?

This has been addressed - at length and in detail - in the law section. This should have been brought to your attention at least a six posts back. Go here:

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1784

Good luck.

SiameseRat said:
[laugh2] I secretly have a crush on Scrivener because of his overuse of what I have dubbed "the [sic] slap" [laugh]

Oh, Lord, no! Now we'll have him digging through every post on any topic, acting like a damn 8th grade English teacher on crank, proofreading and correcting every spelling and grammar error.

Everybody get a spell checker and use it.

Learn to distinguish between and use properly the following:
  • "to", "too" and "two";
  • "their", "there" and "they're";
  • "for" and "four";
  • "imply" and "infer".

Excuse me, but I think I'm going to be sic.

Ken

[laugh2]

don't forget "your" and "you're" or "then" and "than"

Those are two of my biggest peeves. [rofl] Too funny. But now that we've completely hijacked this thread, back to the original topic.

Yep- remember to put "All Lawful Purposes" not "All Awful Purposes"

KMaurer said:
Oh, Lord, no! Now we'll have him digging through every post on any topic, acting like a damn 8th grade English teacher on crank, proofreading and correcting every spelling and grammar error.

And what, exactly, would be different? [devil]

As for being a "spoilsport" on this thread, why are so many people wasting their time re-inventing the wheel? The answer to the OP's question is readily available. As he/she did not bother to look, the simple solution is to provide the link.

I did.

Last edited:
Scrivener said:
And what, exactly, would be different? [devil]

As for being a "spoilsport" on this thread, why are so manyh [sic] people wasting their time re-inventing the wheel?
I, for one, have nothing better to do. [laugh]

(edited to add a "[sic] slap" of my own! Ta-da!)

Saint194 said:

Reason for Issuance:

I don't like it.

It's too tentative. You should be able to come up with at least one situation in your life where you might find yourself facing a deadly force threat.

I find it is better to be concrete rather than vague when stating one's reasons for needing to carry a gun. Do this on a separate sheet of paper rather than trying to cram it into the few lines given on the form.

Darius Arbabi

Saint194 said:

Reason for Issuance:

It sounds unnatural. Did you read it out loud to yourself?

How about this rewording:
"I am applying for an unrestricted Class A LTC for All Lawful Purposes. I expect to use this firearm primarily for target practice at local ranges but would like to reserve the right to carry for personal/home protection in the event the need arose."

I'd recommend shortening it to just this:
"I am applying for a Class A LTC for All Lawful Purposes."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom