Land for shooting in MA/NH

Sparing the details,

Does anyone know of any public land in MA Or NH that can be used for target shooting? Other than a public range like firing line or original bond

Martin burns in ma
You need to send a copy of your ltc /fid with a envelope and stamp so they can mail you your permission slip back .

They have a 50ish yard target range and a clay field .
Most of the time you need to bring your own target stands .

Why not just join a range?

While that is the best method in MA, some clubs make it quite difficult to join. Many make you get a sponsor (some require two), and if you don't know anyone in the area that generally means you need to go to the monthly meeting to mingle, which can be rather inconvenient to those who commute for work. It took me months to join my club since my work schedule can change and if I missed one meeting there wasn't another until the following month. Many clubs also have wait lists at the moment. And lets face it, sometimes it's better to just find a patch of vacant land to be alone and practice.

There are a lot of ranges that only charge like $35/year. I am in the middle of 100's of acres of undeveloped land and I prefer to drive 3 miles to the range in town when shooting rifle and magnum calibers. No pissing off the neighbors, no lead on my property, good backstop, etc, etc.

For shooting 22lr you can make a box filled with rubber landscape mulch....works great in the backyard.

There are a lot of ranges that only charge like $35/year.

List please.
I've never seen any in MA for this cheap. Basic places like MFS and the new Weston facility are several hundred a year. Most regular clubs are anywhere from $150-$200ish (with many offering work hours).
Supposedly there is a place near Uxbridge that is nothing more than a glorified sandpit where you can get a "membership" for about $50/year, but I could never find out who to contact..

Brookfield Rod & Gun club was $35.00 this past yr. and there are probably others around central and western ma. that are probably around the same.

List please.
I've never seen any in MA for this cheap. Basic places like MFS and the new Weston facility are several hundred a year. Most regular clubs are anywhere from $150-$200ish (with many offering work hours).
Supposedly there is a place near Uxbridge that is nothing more than a glorified sandpit where you can get a "membership" for about $50/year, but I could never find out who to contact..

You're in Beverly so why not join cape ann sportsman's club in Gloucester? I'm there basically every weekend so I could help show you around.

List please.

Norwootuck in Amherst ma 35 a year

Norco in princeton is 60 dollars with 12 work hours a year. 120 a year if you dont work.

350 acres, 100 yd rifle, 25 yd pistol outdoor ranges. Fishing pond, skeet and trap ranges as well. Gated access with members only having keys.

Nimrod in holden is a similar set up. North worcester fox and coon as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Gun clubs and there reasonable prices aside I think part of the OPs point is the lack of places to just go shoot. In effect the laws coupled with long standing tradition have created a network of gun clubs where you almost HAVE to shoot. And what if I want 300 or 400 yards? What than? What if I'm a new shooter or i am interested in becoming one do I now have to join a club? Or drive 45 minutes away? see where I'm going...

In a nutshell barriers of entry for shooting in MA are higher than most places.

Last edited:
westminster rod and gun club offers a 50 yard range, with 100 yards available if you close the gate for $40 a year. first year also includes a $40 initiation fee. generally quiet, or youll run into a few pro 2a people. club is at 175 knower rd in westminster, meetings are optional on the first wednesday of the month at 7pm. only basic rules apply, like keep all your bullets in the backstop, clean up after yourself and dont be a douche.

Gun clubs and there reasonable prices aside I think part of the OPs point is the lack of places to just go shoot. In effect the laws coupled with long standing tradition have created a network of gun clubs where you almost HAVE to shoot. And what if I want 300 or 400 yards? What than? What if I'm a new shooter or i am interested in becoming one do I now have to join a club? Or drive 45 minutes away? see where I'm going...

In a nutshell barriers of entry for shooting in MA are higher than most places.

I think its population density and topography more than anything. Even in central ma there arent many places you can shoot 3-400 yards. You just cant see that far with the woods. I only can think of a few spots near my house. Around Boston and metro west pretty much forget it. Guys out there are stuck with joining clubs. West of me, there are plenty of sand pits and private land to shoot on.

I will admit shooting on public land is highly discouraged. But if i wanted to take few shots on public land near me. It would not be a problem. If i made it a habit and shot there all the time/left a mess. It would be. I just came across a bunch of clays scattered all over public land where my son and i did some coyote hunting. Not impressed by that. Nor will a non shooter or non hunter be either that uses that spot to walk their dog or something.

50 dollars a year for a club is cheap money to me for the yearly access, meeting like minded people, having hunting and fishing opportunities that are miles above public land, skeet and trap ranges to use any time.

Last edited:
westminster rod and gun club offers a 50 yard range, with 100 yards available if you close the gate for $40 a year. first year also includes a $40 initiation fee. generally quiet, or youll run into a few pro 2a people. club is at 175 knower rd in westminster, meetings are optional on the first wednesday of the month at 7pm. only basic rules apply, like keep all your bullets in the backstop, clean up after yourself and dont be a douche.

$50 for new members, $40 to renew, no additional initiation fee.

I think its population density and topography more than anything. Even in central ma there arent many places you can shoot 3-400 yards. You just cant see that far with the woods. I only can think of a few spots near my house. Around Boston and metro west pretty much forget it. Guys out there are stuck with joining clubs. West of me, there are plenty of sand pits and private land to shoot on.

I will admit shooting on public land is highly discouraged. But if i wanted to take few shots on public land near me. It would not be a problem. If i made it a habit and shot there all the time/left a mess. It would be. I just came across a bunch of clays scattered all over public land where my son and i did some coyote hunting. Not impressed by that. Nor will a non shooter or non hunter be either that uses that spot to walk their dog or something.

50 dollars a year for a club is cheap money to me for the yearly access, meeting like minded people, having hunting and fishing opportunities that are miles above public land, skeet and trap ranges to use any time.

In Volusia county florida the sheriff's run a public range 10 bucks shoot all day. ...MURICA

Jeez, alot more clubs than I thought. Of course many in cities I've never been to or never want to revisit (Fitchburg anyone) , but still.

Back
Top Bottom