• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lake City ammo plant allegedly to stop sales of excess M855 to civilian market

Not quite. They fly better because of their boat tail shape at the back and not having an exposed lead divot on the back that causes drag. The open tip is just a result of the manufacturing method for being able to form that boat tail.

But still, the external ballistics of a bullet that has been spun to stabilization with the rifle twist is going to be a whole lot different than the external ballistics of an arrow.
Fascinating subject. Thanks for bringing this up. A lot of reading about center of gravity and center of pressure available online, some of it an uneducated guy like me could actually understand.
Anyhow...it appears we do agree the most accurate bullets manufactured do indeed by design have the weight in the back.

As far as the boattail.....the teeny tiny groups shot by the real benchresters? Flat base.

Fascinating subject. Thanks for bringing this up. A lot of reading about center of gravity and center of pressure available online, some of it an uneducated guy like me could actually understand.
Anyhow...it appears we do agree the most accurate bullets manufactured do indeed by design have the weight in the back.

As far as the boattail.....the teeny tiny groups shot by the real benchresters? Flat base.
The boat tail is for reducing drag and increasing ballistic coefficient. Being able to maintain velocity and buck the wind better, which increases accuracy potential over range. Not necessarily increasing outright precision.

Last edited:
Is there some reason he is going after LC? I know they sell to the military, so is that the leverage he is using?

Lake City is owned by the Government and operated by Winchester/Olin under contract. They can only sell commercially after filling government orders. That makes the rumor somewhat more plausible.

Back
Top Bottom