Lake City ammo plant allegedly to stop sales of excess M855 to civilian market

M855a1 is already impossible to get on the civilian market.
a green tip m855 is what i spoke of - it is not exactly a penetrating round by a classification... but it was available, at least i saw it popping up here and there.

a green tip m855 is what i spoke of - it is not exactly a penetrating round by a classification... but it was available, at least i saw it popping up here and there.
Yes, similar characteristics as 5.45 7N6, right? We can't get those anymore...

Until and unless some bureaucrap decides that since AR-15 pistols exist, 5.56mm must be a handgun round, M855 is not considered armor piercing under Federal law.

As I noted in another thread, I don’t trust this report, since it would require a contract renegotiation and Harris would be boasting about it. Between retooling for 6.8 and shipping rounds to Ukraine, there may not be a lot of excess capacity at Lake City.

FWIW, if you own arms to guard against tyranny, relying on ammo produced at a government owned plant may not be the best strategy.

Until and unless some bureaucrap decides that since AR-15 pistols exist, 5.56mm must be a handgun round, M855 is not considered armor piercing under Federal law.

As I noted in another thread, I don’t trust this report, since it would require a contract renegotiation and Harris would be boasting about it. Between retooling for 6.8 and shipping rounds to Ukraine, there may not be a lot of excess capacity at Lake City.

FWIW, if you own arms to guard against tyranny, relying on ammo produced at a government owned plant may not be the best strategy.

I feel like I remember that already happened. 855 is not considered AP, since it is not actually AP. Actual .556 AP is the M995 round which is not available to us due to being "Real" AP ammo.

Edit: After a quick search I may be wrong and it may be legal but some clinton era rule doesn't allow them to release it to civilians, Not sure who to believe.

strictly speaking it is not true.
it will go through some proofed glass - not all, through doors. but proper plates and helmets will stop it.
a proper armor penetrating cored loads in 308 and 7.62×54mmR SVD - will go through all plates. but M855 is not that strong.
He was talking about standard police vests which don't include plates. Your average beat cop isn't riding around with a plate carrying vest with hard armor.

Good point. The adoption of 6.8 may actually ually seriously hurt the 5.56 market. While I was secretly hoping for 6.5 Creedmor, I'm just a wee begger.

While I am placing an order for an M1 Garand from CMP, I think I'm also gonna see if I can score a . 30-06 bolt and 30-30 lever used this summer locally. I have dies to reload both.

I love Brazilians!

1655399559130-png.627297
NES Churrascaria GTG, FTW.

Searched for "Lake City," "Winchester," "M855." How will this not be a dupe?

I find this one from The Hyperbole About Guns questionable, with the only thing giving it credibility being the statement from Larry Keane of the NSSF.

BREAKING: Biden Administration Moves to Cut Off Lake City .223/5.56 Ammo From the Commercial Market

It would be nice to hear from another source.
If prices go up and stock runs out, it must be true! I probably need another case.

Laws are very hard to reverse, EOs much less so. But it’s hard to quietly ‘put deadly cop-killer bullets back in the hands of…’ for any next President. Unless it’s Trump, of course - he’l cancel them all.

The current situation in the Senate, with several Senators retiring and several not up for re-election, points out the hazard of just a few RINOs bumping the vote to 60+. It may well take a 55+ GOP majority to withstand such occasions as the current events.

There will be next mass shootings during the lead up to 2024 elections. School shootings are all the more rare, but race-motivated mass shootings have taken on a special significance too. Nobody is hardening Walmarts in predominantly Black areas.

Post-AWB to Obama was the brief period when arms and ammo were plentiful and cheap - I still have a case of 1000rd steel-cased 556 in the safe with a $99.99 tag on it. I could probably sell the box with tag on GunBroker for $99.99 empty as nostalgia now…

I bought several hundred at the last M855 "steel core" Obama scare threat to ban . The ban never happened but sure as shit the price skyrocket for a few months. That steel core stuff shoots lousy as far as accuracy.

Ummm, if they are transitioning to 6.9837383 Silly, how much M855 are they gonna have anyhow???? I've never shot anything other than a scant few HP's and a pile of 55gr. Ever. LOL
The 6.8 production is going to just be extra. They are building a new section just for 6.8. It is not supposed to take away from other production.

On top of that, at some point they should be switching to M855A1 and the old M855 should dry up naturally, no? This mostly feels like a bunch of nothing.

I doubt there has been much M855 being made at Lake City for a while now anyway. The Army is 100% M855A1, which we can’t get. The USMC and Navy are Mk318, which I don’t think is released to the public as surplus either. So, that leaves the Air Force. I’m not sure what they’re shooting.

The 6.8 production is going to just be extra. They are building a new section just for 6.8. It is not supposed to take away from other production.

I doubt there has been much M855 being made at Lake City for a while now anyway. The Army is 100% M855A1, which we can’t get. The USMC and Navy are Mk318, which I don’t think is released to the public as surplus either. So, that leaves the Air Force. I’m not sure what they’re shooting.
I guess that makes me wonder, where would 855 be coming from at this point? Do they just have a giant back stock of projectiles to burn through?

Also, please forgive me for not doing the research on my own, why cant' we get the 855A1 or the Mk318? Is it just all spoken for, or are there contract/legal constraints?

I guess that makes me wonder, where would 855 be coming from at this point? Do they just have a giant back stock of projectiles to burn through?

Also, please forgive me for not doing the research on my own, why cant' we get the 855A1 or the Mk318? Is it just all spoken for, or are there contract/legal constraints?

I just looked up Mk318 and apparently you can get it as contract over-runs or whatever surplus. It’s listed as T556TNB1 in the civilian market. Whether you can find any is a different matter.

But the M855A1 was developed/designed with government funds and they own the design. They have refused to let manufactures sell the cartridge right from the get go. Maybe that will change in the future. But certain performance characteristics were restricted from public access (not sure of the classification level) and I think that had a hand in the reasoning.

You can still get M855A1 that presumably fell off of supply trucks. But it’s very expensive. And while M855A1 is a great round and way better than M855, it’s not enough better than a lot of civilian rounds to warrant the cost. It has a much better BC and much more consistent terminal ballistics (not dependent on fleet yaw) than M855. But those characteristics are not better than civilian offerings. About the only thing it does better than most civilian rounds is defeat barriers. I’d still love if it were available as affordable surplus though.

Back
Top Bottom