• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lake city ammo layoffs

It also says they spent 400 million dollars, technically of our paid tax money, to make the plant more efficient, which probably means automation. If they automated a lot of the machinery and quality control that would mean they can lay off tons of people but produce the same amount of ammo or more, as before.

That plant only makes ammo for the army.

Sent from my mom's basement. Using Samsung GSIII

Well , I am currently cleaning,decapping, trimming , swaging , about several thousand pieces of Lake City 5.56 brass that I bought and shot in local gun shops.

I find it hard to believe anyone couldn't sell a full freight train of LC ammo pretty last and still end up with a waiting list these days.

I agree, and the LC brass you get is left over from this plant but sent to others for manufacturing. This particular plant only builds cartridges for the army. It is actually ran by army brass, the army owns all the tooling.

Sent from my mom's basement. Using Samsung GSIII

Maybe it's posturing and bullshite over this sequestration thing. They are laying off cops and firemen , letting prisoners out - and - oh no - reducing ammo supplies ..... And that one actually hurts.

It also says they spent 400 million dollars, technically of our paid tax money, to make the plant more efficient, which probably means automation. If they automated a lot of the machinery and quality control that would mean they can lay off tons of people but produce the same amount of ammo or more, as before.

It says that right in the little article, so no need to guess why they are going to lay people off. Really sucks this day how robots and computers are used to make just about everything, yet prices go up and the quality is going in the toilet. would be nice to see something really drastic happen in this country to where we got kicked back a few years in technology!

Charles.

maybe we could buy it (the fully upgraded factory) from them with a pork filled sweetheart deal? :) Now that they don't need it any more...

Sort of makes you wonder why DHS needs to buy ammo from an "outside" source. Military action may be winding down, but DHS is buying more ammo than even the Army was using.

Tell Obama that well turn it into a solar powered ammo plant and he would write you a check faster than you can say "solyndra".

And, sadly, they destroy any runs that don't meet 100% QC. (you have one cartridge out of a sample of 100 that has a bad seal around the bullet, and they will reject the entire 10,000 round batch. Even though that ammo is probably perfectly serviceable. We used to be able to buy these 'rejects' for just pennies. Thanks to Klinton they now have to destroy it instead of selling it. We waste millions of dollars destroying ammo rather than sell it to civilians. You can be sure THAT will not be cut by the sequester.

That plant only makes ammo for the army. ...

I don't think there is anything special about this ammo. This can and should be changed.

I think this is the reason for a LOT of the unemployment now, especially in industrial and manufacturing settings.

It says that right in the little article, so no need to guess why they are going to lay people off. Really sucks this day how robots and computers are used to make just about everything, yet prices go up and the quality is going in the toilet. would be nice to see something really drastic happen in this country to where we got kicked back a few years in technology! ...

I thought robotics and automation were supposed to take the human errors out of the production.

I wonder if we could buy the plant cheap at .gov auction, put all of NES to work and be able to get inexpensive ammo?

Now that is thinking outside the box, or maybe INSIDE the (ammo) box!

Here: Poll: What ammo would you buy if it were from a MA factory?

Not really. Our tax dollars are paying for something we bought years ago. Our children's' and grand-children's tax dollars will be used for the stuff we're buying today.

Hi guys newbie here.
Here is a good idea, maybe if we were allowed to buy ammo from the goverment, the folks here could take a chunk out of the gov. deficit.

Automation frees up humans to gossip at work...

Hi guys newbie here.
Here is a good idea, maybe if we were allowed to buy ammo from the goverment, the folks here could take a chunk out of the gov. deficit.

They don't want that, the want us as slaves to the .gov and if we have ammo it makes it that much more difficult for them to do what they want, there was a time when the unions fought against the Company store the federal gove has now assumed that role

It would be nice if all that ammo could go to CMP, to be sold off as surplus. That is, if it even exists. I have my doubts that there was any ammo bought at all, and it was all done on paper, and somebody's brother-in-law made a bunch of money on paper without making or delivering a single thing.

if the army owns the tooling it cannot be used for any other purpose.

Not necessarily true...a lot of deals involving government owned equipment simply guarantees you can meet a certain capacity demand for them. We have a lot of equipment in this category.

Also, civilians can buy lake city manufactured ammo (not just lake city brass) that is if you can find it. I bought some first quality bulk M855 Lake City.

Back
Top Bottom