• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ladies, help me in breaking the news to the Wife ...

I know that most of us here only have to worry about the wrath of a wife learning about the purchase of yet another firearm. My marriage of 20 years is a good deal more complicated than that.

I love my wife in spite of her being an Obama loving / gun hating liberal.

There, I said it. In spite of these inconvenient truths, I have to work on completing our move to PRMA and preserving the marriage.

A thousand posters here have already warned "don't move!!!" but the die is cast. I'll be moving to PRMA because that's where her big new job is. We'll also have a big new house that she'll pay for with her big new paycheck.

For almost the entirety of our marriage, firearms have been locked up on one sort of gun safe or another. I never felt the need to go gun shopping in North Carolina or Rhode Island because I knew I could pretty much have whatever I wanted whenever I wanted it.

That's all going to change in PRMA, so I've done a lot of shopping in prep for the move for stuff I won't be able to purchase when I get there (which is about everything worth having ...)

That was the easy part, because I've simply not told her about the purchases. Out of sight, out of mind.

Once we get to PRMA, things will be different. We're moving to a "Green" town (Ludlow), and I've got the basic gun course training and paperwork all planned. She knows that I have to get the training and the LTC-A just to have the 15-round Ruger P85 which I purchased in 1989 back in North Carolina.

What I have to figure out is how to manage the meltdown that's coming when she realizes that I plan to try out some concealed carrying.

There's been enough shouting over the move itself to wreck more than one marriage. Telling her in advance of my plans ... I don't even want to think about it.

I'm waiting until after the move to spring this on her because then she'll be so busy with the new job and the distraction level will be so great that I might be able to pull this off and still be married.

So this very long post has laid the groundwork to get to this point, which is the point where I ask for ideas as to whether there is any way to "ease into" this subject with her.

I thought about wearing an empty holster around the house to begin with. That would certainly get her attention. I could say that I was just "practicing" wearing a holster.

Then I could move up from there to a real but unloaded gun. Or maybe I would have to go with a water-pistol as an intermediate step?

Having a holstered and loaded firearm in the house would be the last step before going out in the world CCW with one on your hip.

At some point I have to tell her that I want to be one of the 1,000+ people in Ludlow walking around concealed. She's not going to like it, and I don't know if there are any diplomatic concessions that would make a difference.

It's not going to be pretty, but I'm trying to come up with some way of making it manageable.

I thought about wearing an empty holster around the house to begin with. That would certainly get her attention. I could say that I was just "practicing" wearing a holster.

Then I could move up from there to a real but unloaded gun. Or maybe I would have to go with a water-pistol as an intermediate step?

Really? Leave the toilet seat up a few times to start the conversation.

Wait until the move is done and the stress level is back to normal before saying anything. Tossing this into the mix right away would be a mistake.

When I carry it is a S&W 642, either in my front pocket or IWB. She has never noticed.
Concealed means concealed... To everyone.
I had a discussion early on with the wife. I told her it was my responsibility for her safety and that I could never forgive myself if something happened to her/me and I had the means to protect us sitting at home in a safe.

I have one of those, too. Know how I fixed it? I didn't ask her permission. If she couldn't handle it, then she wasn't for me, no matter how long we've been together.

I also made her pay for dinner, because Equal Rights. She earned the right to pay her own way [wink]

Being a female (last time I checked) it's hard to have your husband not on the same side as you. I am pro gun and pro concealed carry, so clearly me and my husband are singing the same tune. Even though I am pro, it was a bit weird to get used to my husband conceal carrying. But now, I forget all about it. It's just so normal for him to carry, and I never see it. If you conceal properly, no one will know, not even your wife.

A way to maybe approach the situation is not to beat your chest and say I'm the man and I protect you, but more of a "always hope for the best, but plan for the worst". You don't buy car insurance because you're going to get in an accident, you get it incase you do. You're prepared if it happens. Same thing with concealed carrying. You hope to never have to put your had on your firearm, but if something happens you can protect her, you & your family.

It's tricky when us women make up our mind about something and then get very stubborn. Easing into it, it the best way IMO.

First things first, follow all the steps in order to obtain your license. That is key. Having a class A LTC will allow you to possess/buy/sell firearms, regardless of plans to carry. That in all honesty is a 3-6 month ordeal in PRMA as of now. Once license is obtained, you will have had some time to consider how to begin that conversation. I don't envy your position in the ensuing argument.

If you and your wife are already able to scream at one another while continuing to stay married, I personally wouldn't sugar coat the issue. Figure out your reasoning for CCW, and do your best to explain it's importance to you.

Then again, this is coming from a single guy. Good luck bro!

When I carry it is a S&W 642, either in my front pocket or IWB. She has never noticed.
Concealed means concealed... To everyone.
I had a discussion early on with the wife. I told her it was my responsibility for her safety and that I could never forgive myself if something happened to her/me and I had the means to protect us sitting at home in a safe.

Haha, my wife's not anti, but isn't into it either. Every once in a while she used to bump the 442 in my pocket and ask "What's THAT?" My response was usually just: "A .38" She never wanted any more details than that. Just play it off like it's no big deal, because it's no big deal[smile]

Concealed means concealed [wink]

This. My wife isn't exactly a fan either, but it is such a normal part of my everyday accessories that she doesn't even notice. Every now and then she will "feel" it when hugging me, or putting her arm around my waist, but she just moves her hand away from that area and it doesn't get discussed, as she realizes it's there. Would she rather I wasn't into guns, or carried them? Sure, but she knows that it is "part of the package", so she deals with it, just the same as there are always undesirable aspects that we have to deal with too. It's called marriage!

What I have to figure out is how to manage the meltdown that's coming when she realizes that I plan to try out some concealed carrying.

At some point I have to tell her that I want to be one of the 1,000+ people in Ludlow walking around concealed. She's not going to like it, and I don't know if there are any diplomatic concessions that would make a difference.

What have you been doing up till now? If you have never carried before, what made you decide to start?

Think about it, because I am sure Why now? will be her first question, well maybe second, I don't know her well enough to know if she will ask if you are nuts first. [smile]

You need to tell her that she needs to get her license as well, take the training and make the application for her license.

She needs to be able to take control of (and responsibility for) the guns in the house when you're not home. Or if they're in your car. She should be able to handle them safely. Take her to a very nice and clean range for the training, such as Mass Firearms School.

First thought upon reading this, "God bless..."
Second thought, yeah don't look for marital advice here.
Finally, just start carrying (when all legalized). I'm not chest thumping but, you do have rights. Even in a marriage. It doesn't mean you don't love and respect her but why does she get to lay down the law to you?
Crap! Totally violated second thought. I'll circle back to first thought and then stop.
God bless...

Her house; her rules--and there will be new ones. Given your trepidation, it sounds as if a gun-owning partner is not what she signed up for. Might as well sell the firearms now.

As others have mentioned... Marital advice on this forum, suspect at best... That includes my advice.

My wife isn't "anti", but like others, aren't really into it either. She is a teacher. After some schools "lockdown" in the past few months the idea of guns in school came up. I told here I believed that teachers, who are licensed should be able to carry guns in school. We entrust them with the lives of our children on a daily basis, they should be capable of defending those children's lives. She thought about that and somewhat agreed, but disagreed with being capable of carrying in the classroom because of all of the interaction she has with the kids. She then said "Why don't you try carrying your gun at work and see how well that goes over...?". I looked at her funny and laughed. She said "what?". I said "I do carry, pretty much every day, for the past 6 months or so." She didn't believe me. I showed her the imprint on my side from the IWB holster I'd had on all day. There was no significant reaction.

Shortly after entering the house I do stow the weapon, so she hasn't stumbled across it while on my, but I don't go out of my way for her to not see it. She knows about my guns. She knows I go shoot with my friends. She's even buying some accessories for Christmas from my list.

If yours is truly "anti" you may have a different situation, but treating it like a big deal will make it into a big deal. Treating it like it's nothing special will make it nothing special.

Honestly. "I am going to carry. Deal with it" Marriage isn't slavery. I am going to guess your opinion and desires had little impact on her decision to move here. Goes both ways

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro - typos are from the GD auto correct unless they are funny substitutions those I'll take credit for.

carry in your free time when you're not with her. dont carry when she is around. when you come home and she is home, take the gun off your hip and put it in the safe. after some time shell realize that you carry without conflict when she isnt around and hopefully will be comfortable with you carrying with her present. good luck

Back
Top Bottom