lack of ammo

Too bad I make my own ammo.

If they restrict powder I will learn how to make it. If they restrict primers, I will also learn how to make them or buy them on the black market. Bullets I already know how to make.

Where there is a restricted market........there will also be a blackmarket.

The more the open market is restricted, the more the blackmarket will flourish, through adaptation and expansion and eventually rendering the open market useless.

Ooops! Sorry for giving you positive rep for this post, my intent was to give you negative rep. My bad.

Feel free to ask a mod to change it. However, for the time being, he's incorrect about additional taxation and the topic of how the market is driving ammo shortages has been discussed ad-nauseam. The least he could have done was be less terse.

Noobs shouldn't be discouraged from posting something useful but they shouldn't be encouraged to post uselessness like this either.

Another warm welcome

3048959298_40db5c7bcf.jpg

A friend of mine has a friend that works for Remington. He told him they were working 24/7 up to a couple months ago but have since cut back work to 2 days a week. He also told him that the government is putting restrictions on the manufacturers to slow down the amount of ammo that gets to the public. If that is the case I was at my PD the other day speaking with a woman who does my permits. I live in NJ. She also does acqusitions for the PD and told me that the PD is so far backed up on their ammo orders they have no idea when they will get delivery.

A friend of mine has a friend that works for Remington. He told him they were working 24/7 up to a couple months ago but have since cut back work to 2 days a week.

If this is really the case, why haven't we heard about this sooner?
This is a pretty well informed group, how did this news slip by us for so long? [thinking]

A friend of mine has a friend............

Nothing personal but whenever a post begins like this (and many have here) I've already determined that it can not be believed. [wink]

But then again, my father always said: "Half of everything you hear is true, the challenge is figuring out which half." [smile]

The dipsh!t owner of a gun store up here was telling me about his "friend of a friend" that has it on good authority that all of the major ammo manufacturers are shutting off the reloading supplies to redirect to their ammunition manufacturing. [rolleyes]

If this is really the case, why haven't we heard about this sooner?
This is a pretty well informed group, how did this news slip by us for so long? [thinking]

So how does what the government does at Area 51 slip by us so long?

The dipsh!t owner of a gun store up here was telling me about his "friend of a friend" that has it on good authority that all of the major ammo manufacturers are shutting off the reloading supplies to redirect to their ammunition manufacturing. [rolleyes]

and I was told at Bass Pro last week that places like Winchester were moving people out of making ammunition in order to help keep up with firearms orders......

and I was told at Bass Pro last week that places like Winchester were moving people out of making ammunition in order to help keep up with firearms orders......

Evidently you are listening to morons.

The Winchester that makes ammunition and the Winchester that makes (and imports) firearms are two COMPLETELY different companies. Winchester Repeating Arms, in fact, licenses the name Winchester from the Olin Corporation (makers of Winchester ammo).

Remington's ammo plant is in Lonoke, Arkansas. Their firearm manufacturing operations are in Ilion, New York and Mayfield, Kentucky. How easy do you think it is to move people around between three states? Not to mention that the machinery used to mass produce ammo is VASTLY different from the machines used to make gun parts and that the skills needed to correctly assemble firearms (which is mostly hand work) at a pace fast enough to meet demand are not really transferable from ammo production (which is mostly automated)

Last edited by a moderator:
I call bullshit on that one.

I tend to agree with you. I never believed that there were nazi death camps either. Wake up Jack!!!!!

You guys really make me laugh. You sit and complain about the ammo shortage. Then do something about. LEARN TO RELOAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can crank out an easy 300 rounds per hour. And don't tell me you don't have any free time. Make some.

Last edited:
So how does what the government does at Area 51 slip by us so long?

Ammuntion manufactures are publically traded private sector corporations, which employ thousands of civilians that don't require security clearances.
Top Secret military installations are not.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but by banning importation of ammo from Russia and China, isn't that a way of controling the available supply to us?

This is true, and hardly in line with "free market" ideology that everyone seems to think is prospering under BO.

There is a shortage because people are hoarding. Obama has become their boogyman and they feel frightened. In time this will pass. No need to panic. Have been around long enough to have seen this scenario play out many times in the gun community since the first oil embargo in 73. If you stop talking about it, the problem goes away faster because the more timid stop buying ammo by the case. Just calm down.

There is a shortage because people are hoarding. Obama has become their boogyman and they feel frightened. In time this will pass. No need to panic. Have been around long enough to have seen this scenario play out many times in the gun community since the first oil embargo in 73. If you stop talking about it, the problem goes away faster because the more timid stop buying ammo by the case. Just calm down.

I believe this explanation. I would add that there are probably some who are hoarding for self protection and possibly use for barter in case of economic collapse. But yes, definitely, the shortage is a self fulfilling prophecy.

Actually, I'm okay (except for the inconvenience) with private buyers buying all they want. It will die down eventually, or even better, the demand will be sustained and production will increase. I would have an issue with BO restricting our access.

Would YOU want to be the plant manager that ramped up to meet this demand only to have it fall off in six months and leave you a trillion rounds of ammo to make and nobody to buy them?

Back
Top Bottom