• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lab Radar, MagnetoSpeed or Other

Broc

NES Member
SmartSelect_20230207_082753_Chrome.jpg

Looking at a lot of videos comparing several chronographs.

Looks like the MagnetoSpeed seems to be on par with lab radar, usually between 3-10 fps slower, the good reviews I watched charting 10-30 shots showed this trend.

Magneto seems to be easier to carry, you pay once and get everything. The downside seems to be can't use with semi auto pistols unless they have a rail, but I dont care about that and I am not sure how it would work with a revolver (let's say a 5" barrel).

Lab Radar needs a bunch of additional stuff. So let's call it $50-100 over the cost. The positive is the type of gun doesn't matter. But the distance and position relative to the chrono does matter.

Other, cheaper brands, they seem to work OK. I have one, but nothing to compare against and it always s*cks when it throws an error.

So, anyway, what are your thoughts?

I have one of the tripod ones (Caldwell) Works well but stinks when others are around as you have to move in front of the firing line.

I had someone wait while i was setting it up, said the all clear, and i forgot to turn it on.

Someone showed up with a lab radar, puts it on the bench and done. No disturbance to other shooters.

I have a Lab Radar. And oh man. I can't recommend it enough. Don't know what you mean by a bunch of other stuff. But it mounts on a tripod you likely already have. If you don't have one, it attaches to any tripod mount, even one of those cheap bendy arm ones for a phone from the dollar store. I did add the microphone, as the suppressed air rifle isn't loud enough to trigger it. I've grabbed data from rifles, pistols, air rifles, airsoft, compound and recurve bows, and BB guns. When I take it to the range, I just put it on the bench next to me, and plug a powerbank into the micro USB. I don't think I've ever put alkaline batteries in the thing. App on the phone talking bluetooth to it really makes logging data a cinch. I'll even fearlessly lend it to friends. As opposed to an old style crono, that some idiot, (likely me) will accidently shoot. If you set it up really well, you can get the velocity data as far out as the projectile is in the beam.

Get the Labradar. There’s a huge benefit to how it’s set up.

there’s few times you might want to get accuracy and speed data together but hanging something off your barrel would make that impossible.

Labradar can give velocities out to range. Not just at the muzzle. It calculates energy which saves you some calculator work. It’s a nice tool.

You only need a tripod and a backup batter to run it. You already have to backup battery. @Reptile told me something about you and a tripod. It was cryptic but I think he meant camera equipment.

I own none of these but there's no way in hell I would want something I'd have to attach to the gun. Back when I used to do chrono sessions I'd fire the same load a few times through like 3 different pistols and record the difference(s) Having to swap that shit between guns working up a ladder chart would be a pain in the ass, unless the sensors were cheap and you could attach them to all the guns you were using...

new models appear now and then, look at how it supported by apps and how data is stored. it is not that useful without data app.
digital link app is pretty good - it goes with those - see screenshots. That library of results is what matters.
It also reads speed out loud when you shoot.

i have one on the bottom - dlx, it is relatively cheap. and, of course, it is wireless.

Attachments

• 760D9B8F-6E34-4943-A99F-870EA2120BD5.png
    760D9B8F-6E34-4943-A99F-870EA2120BD5.png
    49.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 9B3F434E-9AAF-40A7-983F-77F3622AAD04.png
    9B3F434E-9AAF-40A7-983F-77F3622AAD04.png
    173.4 KB · Views: 10
  • E1DDB3DD-E53A-40D8-A3FA-A54A2127E2EB.png
    E1DDB3DD-E53A-40D8-A3FA-A54A2127E2EB.png
    44.1 KB · Views: 10
I own none of these but there's no way in hell I would want something I'd have to attach to the gun. Back when I used to do chrono sessions I'd fire the same load a few times through like 3 different pistols and record the difference(s) Having to swap that shit between guns working up a ladder chart would be a pain in the ass, unless the sensors were cheap and you could attach them to all the guns you were using...
The attaching part doesn't look like a pain, and I only have 2 or 3 guns I want to chrono and not all in the same range session. Although one being a BPCR gun, I could see the Magneto getting covered in sh*t.

So, typical NES, after the recommendations, I ordered a $70 chrono from Amazon (just kidding, I didnt).

While that can affect accuracy, it shouldn't affect the data the chrono displays.

I am not expecting to shoot groups while I chrono, I am testing for consistency.

Maybe I am thinking about it wrong?
partially wrong, as you do not really separate accuracy from SD consistency, nor do they always correlate one into another. it is a correlation that works - that is what matters.
seating depth, amount of charge, bullet params, low enough SD in a group of 5 and the overall group size, all the parts of the same equation.
hanging anything on the barrel affects harmonics and _may_ shift a working node a bit.

the expensive models will give you - i forgot the name of the system - the speed of the projectile at the barrel exit _and_ at the target.
it is a somewhat important nuance.
mine is, obviously, only measures at the muzzle, but, it is usually sufficient enough.

Last edited:
I've been eyeing the Labradar unit for some time. I had been thinking about a more traditional chrono, but the risks of it getting hit, and the additional mentions about setting it up (and forgetting to power it on) and such has made me hold off so far.

I've also seen the Labradar go available then OOS pretty fast at times. It appears to be in stock at Brownells currently (no idea for how long). Just not really looking to dump $625-$655 to get it right now. Maybe in before summer hits.

I have a cheap pos Shooting Chrony , the Magnetospeed , and recently bought the Competition Electronics DLX with the optional lighting kit. Each has some pros and cons. Shooting Chrony is cheap but will be very inconsistent and fussy with varied lighting conditions. The magnetospeed is far more accurate as it reads sound . You can also test in rainy weather if your shooting under a cover. The MS unit can be a pia to mount as theres different spacers and adapters for different barrels. The CE DLX has been awesome (with the light kit) . Shoot through units have the risk of getting shot especially testing handgun offhand. I like to use a fixed rest for testing handgun . The advantage of the magneto speed is once its adjusted , theres no risk for a bullet strike on the sensor deck.

I had a Caldwell, then Magneto Speed and now I have a LabRadar. Caldwell is great when you have the range to yourself and perfect weather or you have the light kit. Magneto is even better, but as said you can’t run it without a rail of some kind. Either of the these will work with a compound bow. I just got a LadRadar as I my son and I got into archery at the start of Rona. It requires more input as far as settings are concerned but beyond that it’s really easy to use and gives a ton more information. I sold other two which got me down the road on paying for the LabRadar. Just buy a LabRadar and call it done. Photo is 40 yard archery target with my LabRadar in the foreground. In this set up I got my arrow speeds and kinetic energy at 20, 30 and 40 yards.

Attachments

• 843AFDE4-26EC-4384-9C6D-4ED01393CDE8.jpeg
    843AFDE4-26EC-4384-9C6D-4ED01393CDE8.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 12
I have the Magnetospeed. I like it, in the sense that I can use it indoors and not have to worry about the fiddly chronos you have to setup down range that require light shining down and have issues with clouds/shadows.

That said, I got it before the Labradar really became prevalent. If I were buying a chrono now, I’d go labradar. The magnetospeed can be a pain to switch between guns when trying to get its offset just right. It also forces me to load/shoot more test ammo if I want to get groups and velocity.

Labradar works great. I haven't used or seen the Magnetospeed so can't really compare. My labradar is older so I'm not sure if it is missing anything compared to the newer ones. Battery power is a pain in the butt.

free shipping
i saw some youtubes like this one on labradar and it kinda turned me off from considering it. dunno how relevant it all is, of course.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUTLt2feV-g

none of chronos out there is perfect, of course. everything has its issues.

Both are great. Both have their benefits and drawbacks. I'm running a MSV3 and love it. The one drawback is that it won't reach the muzzle with a can or a long brake/tuner setup. There are possible solutions, like the MK machining arca mount/extender, but then you lose some of the convenience factor.

That said, I still love the magnetospeed. It is accurate, quick to use, works well with rimfire and centerfire, and literally takes 30 seconds to strap to the barrel and check line of bore. I understand the hesitation to strap something to the barrel but in reality I think the concern or wreaking havoc on accuracy is unsubstantiated. It may shift my POI a hair, but it doesn't affect the velocity data I'm gathering and I'm not trying to zero my rifle with the chrono attached. An accurate load will still be an accurate load. I can repeatedly chrono, tune and zero my rifle in 20 rounds in under 20mins. I'm not convinced a Labradar would save me time or effort, but it is undoubtedly a nice chrono for it's other features. It uses doppler to calculate velocity further from the muzzle, the downside being that it needs to be oriented separately in the direction of your shots, and is more bulky to transport.

Another consideration, if you may need to chrono on uneven terrain, labradar can be a bitch without a stable tripod setup, which will run another $200+. Magnetospeed follows the muzzle and it doesn't matter which direction you're shooting or the kind of terrain you're on.

Last edited:
i saw some youtubes like this one on labradar and it kinda turned me off from considering it. dunno how relevant it all is, of course.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUTLt2feV-g

none of chronos out there is perfect, of course. everything has its issues.

i put mine on a small tripod. works fine that way. Not sure why anyone would think they need to shoot from underneath. How does it change things if you're 12 inches to the left or in this guys case 12 inches below?

well maybe because of the suppressor? But why would we think that it's more sensitive underneath than to the side?
you gotta look for more videos on the topic - of what people do, for 22lr, for suppressed, and it does not seem to be only that.
dunno. i do not own it, so, like i said - i can only speculate based on what i saw. and it all turned me off, somewhat.

That said, I still love the magnetospeed. It is accurate, quick to use, works well with rimfire and centerfire, and literally takes 30 seconds to strap to the barrel and check line of bore. …
30 seconds? Damn. With all the various complications for handguards and such, it’s easily a few minutes of me checking, removing, adding or removing spacers, checking, removing, tightening down spacers, and remounting.

While that can affect accuracy, it shouldn't affect the data the chrono displays.

I am not expecting to shoot groups while I chrono, I am testing for consistency.

Maybe I am thinking about it wrong?
For the money I am pleased with the Magnetospeed. No it does not affect chrono data. I use it for load development and/or calculating my drops for longer distances. Imagine only having a 100 yard range to practice yet in competition being able to drop your first 600 yard shot into the 10-ring or 9-ring at worst. It works great for that.

Yes, something hanging off the end of the barrel may affect accuracy. That doesn't matter to me because once I develop the load with the lowest SD and ES that usually translates into the best groups.

If I see a deal on a Labradar I might grab one but I'm in no hurry and it's more of a 'want' than a 'need'.

Labradar all the way! I would never go back to anything with "sky screens". I've had and used both the Labradar and Magneto speed and for me anyway the Lab is easier and quicker. I just use AA batteries and they will last a shooting session easily and I carry extras in my bag. I also like that I can link it via an app to my I pad or phone.

Back
Top Bottom