• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LA County: Only 197 Concealed Carry Permits for 10.2 Million Residents

Admin

Staff Member
Administrator
NES Member
concealed-carry-gun-AP-640x480.jpg

By AWR Hawkins

An audit by the California State Auditor shows Los Angeles County has only issued concealed carry permits to 197 of its 10.2 million residents.
This works out to about one permit issued per every 50,000 residents and highlights the freedom-crushing danger of hinging concealed permit issuance guidelines on a “good cause” requirement. The danger arises from that fact that such a policy places ultimate approval of a concealed permit application in the hands of a local law enforcement officer who arbitrarily decides who can and cannot exercise the natural right to bear arms.

The Auditor’s report highlighted the arbitrary nature of the “good cause” permitting system not only by discovering the low number of permits issued but also by giving close scrutiny to 25 of the permits and learning that all but one were issued to the “well-connected.”

Read full story here: LA County: Only 197 Concealed Carry Permits for 10.2 Million Residents - Breitbart

I'm amazed there are only 197 very special people there. Many more think they are very special.

There are only 197 very special people that actually want a concealed carry permit. I'm sure there are more who could get one, but that would require them to touch an icky gun.

Don’t be naive. There are many people there that do want a permit, just no chance at getting one. No chance at all.

Don’t be naive. There are many people there that do want a permit, just no chance at getting one. No chance at all.

I think you misunderstood me. Obviously there are lots of people who want a permit but are not special enough to get one.

My point was, there are also plenty of people who DON'T want a permit, but are special enough to get one if they wanted to (e.g. well-connected famous people who think guns are scary).

I would have never guessed that low of a number. That's insanely low.
Bad guys paradise, rob/kill/rape anyone, the chance of someone being able to protect themselves and point a gun back at you are none.

The danger arises from that fact that such a policy places ultimate approval of a concealed permit application in the hands of a local law enforcement officer who arbitrarily decides who can and cannot exercise the natural right to bear arms.

This sounds familiar. Can you say suitability? I realize that most seem to feel that the suitability clause in MA is OK but I see little difference between "broad discretion" and "good cause" and some departments are already using the threat of suitability to add requirements to the LTC application, forcing applicants to show, essentially, good cause. Left unchallenged in MA and you can expect CoPs to follow CA's example.

Ah, but how many carry WITHOUT a permit? I would hazard to guess a LOT. After all, gang-bangers gotta bang......

THIS!

One of them is that guy that did the car-crash videographer reality show for Netflix this season. Actually, I think all 3 of the guys highlighted were shooters and COULD carry. (Not sure if LA County residents or what. I watched it about a month ago.)

I'm sure the rank-and-file feel safer for this.

Would love to see an org find a group of minority and/or female plaintiffs and go after places like LA County and MA and the like from a Jim Crow angle. Like a poll tax or a literacy test to exercise a right. Jump through these hoops and only then does the Constitution apply.

It’s surprising to me just because I would think most cops have one? Or have to have one to carry on the job? Not to mention armored car drivers and the like.

The stat doesn't account for people running under a wallhack. Say you're only "kinda" well off, and you don't quite have the "pull" to get one in LA county... you just buy a house in some county that does issue, and you pull a residency wallhack... not much different from what people do in MA all the time. (Protip: first last and security in some green town is likely cheaper than an attorney for any substantial amount of time....)

IIRC though even with this considered, I think all of CA has less carry holders
than the state of MA has "carry capable" Class A / None / ALP / Protection holders in
it... and MA is the size of a thimble in comparison.

-Mikes

That's awful. Wonder if they have to apply for a "sporting license" or is a drivers license good enough to buy guns.

CA lets any resident with a clean record buy guns as long as they're willing to go through all the DROS poop shit garbage + wait periods, etc. Handguns are infinitely worse than (basic) rifles and shot guns there, though. I think there's a safety course but thats pretty much a sham/flaming hoop thing that the gun dealer can get you through.

The carry license in CA is only for loaded and concealed carry of a handgun, basically.

-Mike

The stat doesn't account for people running under a wallhack. Say you're only "kinda" well off, and you don't quite have the "pull" to get one in LA county... you just buy a house in some county that does issue, and you pull a residency wallhack... not much different from what people do in MA all the time. (Protip: first last and security in some green town is likely cheaper than an attorney for any substantial amount of time....)

IIRC though even with this considered, I think all of CA has less carry holders
than the state of MA has "carry capable" Class A / None / ALP / Protection holders in
it... and MA is the size of a thimble in comparison.

-Mikes

Sure, you can game the system if you have enough money, but no one should have to either move or obtain a residence in another county or town (CA or MA). This is just wrong.

Sure, you can game the system if you have enough money, but no one should have to either move or obtain a residence in another county or town (CA or MA). This is just wrong.

Of course it's wrong, not disputing that. Just making the point that there are likely people carrying in LA county whether the county likes it or not.... and there's not a damned thing
they (the gun oppressionists) can do about it.

-Mike

I'm amazed there are only 197 very special people there. Many more think they are very special.

If you watch the average Hollywood movie - you'd think that every 3rd person is likely carrying a pistol in L.A.

New Years Eve is coming up - so I'm glad this article got posted. Because NYE is typically when I run across moonbat acquaintances and 3 years out of five - I typically get accosted by one of them with yet another argument against guns.

This year I get to bring up the fact that L.A. only has 197 permitted concealed carry licenses - so please stop trying to convince me based on the mainstream media and Hollywood movies that we are "awash in guns".

It’s surprising to me just because I would think most cops have one? Or have to have one to carry on the job? Not to mention armored car drivers and the like.
They probably carry on their badges

Very few outside of the wealthy and connected.
Rumor has it the under the table costs (See bribes) have been as much as ten grand to secure the blessing.

According to intel from our own Rob Boudrie, plus some other people I've encountered WRT NYC, its a hell of a lot more than 10 grand for the "fee for people who are not connected and famous".

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom