L1A1 Sling Clasps

• Thread starter Deleted member 67409
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 67409

On a L1A1 or a later Lee-Enfield sling, there's two clasps that have oval-shaped prongs. The prongs are used to link up the sling (clasp goes through the sling swivel on the rifle and attaches to the canvas sling on the inside).

Lil' buggers look like this:

GreenNylonWeb.JPG

Enfslnkbk.JPG

Here's my question and problem: the sling itself is 1.25" wide and fits fine through standard American 1.25" sling swivels. The clasp prongs don't. The prongs are about 1/10-1/8" too wide to fit through the sling swivel. I have three solutions in mind:

*Take a hammer and flatten out the prongs to get them to fit, then hammer them back into place once I get the sling inside the swivels
*Do the same as above but with pliers
*Try to remove the clasp altogether and then re-attach once the sling is in the swivels - problem with this is I think the clasps are held onto the sling with pressed copper studs. I'm not sure how I can remove them and then put them back into place.

Suggestions before I ruin a sling?

On a L1A1 or a later Lee-Enfield sling, there's two clasps that have oval-shaped prongs. The prongs are used to link up the sling (clasp goes through the sling swivel on the rifle and attaches to the canvas sling on the inside).

Lil' buggers look like this:

GreenNylonWeb.JPG

Enfslnkbk.JPG

Here's my question and problem: the sling itself is 1.25" wide and fits fine through standard American 1.25" sling swivels. The clasp prongs don't. The prongs are about 1/10-1/8" too wide to fit through the sling swivel. I have three solutions in mind:

*Take a hammer and flatten out the prongs to get them to fit, then hammer them back into place once I get the sling inside the swivels
*Do the same as above but with pliers
*Try to remove the clasp altogether and then re-attach once the sling is in the swivels - problem with this is I think the clasps are held onto the sling with pressed copper studs. I'm not sure how I can remove them and then put them back into place.

Suggestions before I ruin a sling?
i will assume your trying to use these on a none enfield rifle ? how about a USGI web sling ?
You cant "walk" the hooks through?
I dont have a enfield sling to try

i will assume your trying to use these on a none enfield rifle ? how about a USGI web sling ?
You cant "walk" the hooks through?
I dont have a enfield sling to try

*Correct, this isn't going on an Enfield or L1A1
*Not trying to buy another sling, there has to be a way to make this work without spending more money
*Can't finagle the clasp through on its sides, etc. I can get one in but not both if I try putting them in diagonally. Metal on metal - not much give

I've put these slings on all sorts of rifles and I've never had a problem threading the hooks through...

If they're the usual brass, you can deform them to get them through and then get them back into shape with pliers, maybe.

*Correct, this isn't going on an Enfield or L1A1
*Not trying to buy another sling, there has to be a way to make this work without spending more money
*Can't finagle the clasp through on its sides, etc. I can get one in but not both if I try putting them in diagonally. Metal on metal - not much give
I would try to bend the swivel before the sling?
USGI slings are still very cheap.

how about these ? they are 1 3/8 you can run the sling through this and hook the hook onto the swivel ?
Sling Hook (1-3/8") | Gun Parts Corp.
I know its more money but bending always leads to nothing good.
can the rifles swivels be split ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom