L.L. Bean opening second full-size retail store in NH

Wendell

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SALEM — L.L. Bean announced Tuesday it will be opening a retail store in the Tuscan Village development in fall 2020. Company spokesman Eric Smith said this will be the sixth store in the state, but only the second full retail store after West Lebanon. He also said the 15,000-square-foot retail store will offer a full range of sizes and varieties, as well as additional services like their Outdoor Discover Program, which offers in-store clinics and demonstrations on how to use some of their outdoor recreation products. The Salem store will be located right next to an artificial lake, where customers will be able to try out paddle sports equipment. He said there are no plans currently to close any of the outlet stores in the state. Only New England states have outlet stores, which has proven an efficient system given the proximity to inventory at their flagship campus in Freeport, Maine, Smith said.

RDG

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I went to the new one in MA.....[puke2]

not a single piece of any of their hunting gear.
the water bottle display was bigger than their fishing department.
Was mostly jeans, flannels and $200 jackets

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 98%
48   1   0
Their guns and supplies are strictly FUDD! I visited their flagship store once, had a nice conversation with the gun dept. manager and never have a desire to step foot in that store again. For other sports gear they are OK.

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
They know the local demographic.
I happen to like their cotton flannel chamois shirts very much, I've been wearing them for decades.
They are a bit pricey, but I think I only actually purchased one in my life, all the others I've had over the years were all given to me by family members as holiday or birthday gifts.

Woodsy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
In the north woods likely hunting or trapping
SALEM — L.L. Bean announced Tuesday it will be opening a retail store in the Tuscan Village development in fall 2020. Company spokesman Eric Smith said this will be the sixth store in the state, but only the second full retail store after West Lebanon. He also said the 15,000-square-foot retail store will offer a full range of sizes and varieties, as well as additional services like their Outdoor Discover Program, which offers in-store clinics and demonstrations on how to use some of their outdoor recreation products. The Salem store will be located right next to an artificial lake, where customers will be able to try out paddle sports equipment. He said there are no plans currently to close any of the outlet stores in the state. Only New England states have outlet stores, which has proven an efficient system given the proximity to inventory at their flagship campus in Freeport, Maine, Smith said.
Overpriced and underwhelming is what they offer.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I respect how long they held out before going overseas with their manufacturing. From what I hear it almost put them out of business

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Their entire selection is horrible. The one on Legacy Place, Dedham, has almost nothing. They make it look like they have stuff, but look around.

Their prices are also horrible for fairly mediocre clothing.

The quality of their clothing is bad. Their hiking gear (jackets, pants, tents...) is also really bad. And I dont go cheap with hiking gear.

It is more of a store for the Boston warrior that might hike Mount Monadnock once and tell everyone he/she loves hiking and the outdoors and has a selfie to prove it.

Last edited:

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i was driving by the old rockingham park in salem nh, and was surprised to see a shit ton of new stores/restaurants/hotels....i should go check it out when i have the time. Face it, buying stuff without MA state tax is a real bonus, and if there are good shops opening up...i will be up there

Palladin

NES Member
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
i was driving by the old rockingham park in salem nh, and was surprised to see a shit ton of new stores/restaurants/hotels....i should go check it out when i have the time. Face it, buying stuff without MA state tax is a real bonus, and if there are good shops opening up...i will be up there
The plans are on my desk. We're installing the next phase of site lighting in a couple of months. Joe Fero is putting serious money into this place.

bauer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Bean has unfortunately been yuppified. I still camp in a 7 person canvas Bean tent from the early 70’s that’s been passed down to me from a time when Bean was still interested in making gear as a legitimate outfitter. Unfortunate to see the hardiness of the gear where it is today

SKumar

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
LL Bean is fashion over function. For their prices, there are much better options out there. Eddie Bauer is in the same niche and has better stuff and frequent sales. There are a lot of newer startup brands that have surprisingly good stuff.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
L.L. Bean sucks.
12 minutes. TWELVE MINUTES for the first “they suck” reply on a thread. Might be a record.

Their guns and supplies are strictly FUDD! I visited their flagship store once, had a nice conversation with the gun dept. manager and never have a desire to step foot in that store again. For other sports gear they are OK.
I went to Walmart yesterday looking for a dry-aged beef tenderloin. They didn’t have it and would never have it. What a scam. They sell hamburger ergo any and all beef should be sold there.

Bean’s gun and fishing biz is ancillary to their clothing. There is zero reason for them to expand that. And if you are looking to get started in duck hunting or whatever, Bean is the last place to go. Quality and you pay for it.

Some of their clothes are great. Some are meh. Just like every retailer based on your (my) sizing and preferences.

20% off this weekend. I picked up 2 shirts online yesterday.

Waher

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
L.L.Bean is almost indistinguishable from R.E.I. now except for the hunting gear. Orvis is getting to be the same.

They threw away their heritage as an outfitter to become an increasingly generic 'lifestyle' clothing store. Their Freeport, ME store has a larger selection of legit stuff than what's in their catalog, but the rest of their stores are pretty much garbage. Their catalog has also gone from being Sears like to a joke. Another great company watered down into nothing more than a marketing label. =(

I really worry what's going to happen to Cabelas with BassPro now, because BassPro is already on its way to joining these other companies as generic 'lifestyle' clothiers.

Remember that Abercrombie and Fitch used to be an outfitter like L.L. Bean and look at what dreck they are now.

Eventually they'll all be Dicks/SportsAuthority types that go under to catalog sales from Amazon & the like.

Wendell

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SALEM -- Six more retail tenants will be joining L.L. Bean at Tuscan Village next fall, developers announced Monday. The South Village section of the development will include national brands Old Navy, Ulta Beauty, JPMorgan Chase Bank and Chipotle Mexican Grill. Salem-based fitness company Drive Custom Fit and locally owned Pressed Cafe have also signed leases, according to a release. As has been previously announced, Tuscan Market and Tuscan Kitchen will be relocated from their current location on Main Street into the Tuscan Village development.

PaulR

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I went to the new one in MA.....[puke2]

not a single piece of any of their hunting gear.
the water bottle display was bigger than their fishing department.
Was mostly jeans, flannels and $200 jackets
The Hadley store. It sucks.
I walked in out of curiosity opening day, made one loop of the store, walked out.
All overpriced clothing and that's it.
Sam's is the place to go!

RDG

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
The Hadley store. It sucks.
I walked in out of curiosity opening day, made one loop of the store, walked out.
All overpriced clothing and that's it.
Sam's is the place to go!
We stopped in Sams after leaving LLBean. I had never been before.
man they had a lot of stuff for a smaller store, and all stuff I’d wear. I did spend money there And will probably be back without the wife to spend some more.
I only wish their firearms department was a bigger.

PaulR

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Sam's rules.
If you're ever in Brattleboro, it's a must stop. 2-3 floors of stuff, 4x the size of the Hadley store.
It's like a condensed Kittery Trading Post.
They also have a place in Keene, never been there.

Top Bottom