• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Kydex holsters?

My wife and I each have a safariland 6378. I don't know if it is specifically kydex or not, but it is some kind of hard plastic. I wear it daily while doing all kinds of things around the house and for me it is comfortable and seems very durable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I own a couple, one for my glocks and shield. Buzzards Bay Tactical does made to order kydek holsters. OWB, IWB in many color options and styles. Prices are awesome. Just got my kydek holster for my shield from them and am very impressed with quality and workman ship. I highly recommend them

My wife and I each have a safariland 6378. I don't know if it is specifically kydex or not, but it is some kind of hard plastic. I wear it daily while doing all kinds of things around the house and for me it is comfortable and seems very durable.

does it have the ALS?

how do you like it and does the ALS effect the draw at all?

Comp Tac and Blade Tech make excellent holsters, but don't forget Uncle Mike's $20 Kydex holsters.

does it have the ALS?

how do you like it and does the ALS effect the draw at all?

It does have ALS. The releases is a small lever between the gun and your body. Right where your thumb naturally falls making it very easy to disengage, but just about impossible for anyone else to see. When the ALS is disengaged the draw is very smooth for my glock 22. My wife's Beretta 92 has a little resistance but I think it is just because she hasn't completely broken it in yet. I bought her a shield for her birthday and now that's all she carries. I don't have competition experience but it seems like I can disengage the ALS and draw my gun as fast as I could draw with no ALS.

RAVEN CONCEALMENT

dont want to spend 80$ on a piece of plastic worth maybe 5$.

I orginally had the threat titled KT mech holsters. I was looking for anyone that had one but nothing. i might just bite the bullet and get one i mean for 40$ we'll see.

I also have been looking at the G code OSH's. nantchez had them for 9.99$ but alas no M&P 9/40 in right hand.

Anyone own one? opinions about them.

I want to get a full owb kydex holster for an M&P.

What do you want it for? Competition? Range? Or concealed carry? For concealed carry, get Raven Concealment. For competition, Bladetech, Comptac straight drop, or Ready Tactical.

For the traditional strong side hip (3/9 o clock), there are many good choices including Raven concealment, X-concealment (same quality, less wait), JM custom kydex. The cost is the time and labor not the materials. As with anything else, you mostly get what you pay for. Here's a nice list from an ar-15.com thread:http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_23/9...Alternatives_to_Raven_Concealment.html&page=1

Personally I can recommend x-concealment. Great retention, fit, comfort and concealability.

Last edited:
What do you want it for? Competition? Range? Or concealed carry? For concealed carry, get Raven Concealment. For competition, Bladetech, Comptac straight drop, or Ready Tactical.

Mostly just range and some light competition. I already have a leather holster but it's getting old and i had problems holstering and the the leather getting into the trigger guard.

I'm curious, have you actually used a Raven Concealment holster?

Nope

I havent been able to do any finger ****ing because no shops around here have any kydex holsters. All anyone around here has are the blackhawk serpas and im not too impressed.

Mostly just range and some light competition. I already have a leather holster but it's getting old and i had problems holstering and the the leather getting into the trigger guard.

Nope

I havent been able to do any finger ****ing because no shops around here have any kydex holsters. All anyone around here has are the blackhawk serpas and im not too impressed.

Yeah, Raven is on a whole different planet. They're not cheap, but its part of the buy right, buy once philosophy.

actually I just ordered a

G code OSH (non RTI) for 9.99 and one of their double mag carriers for 14.99. Only down side is the holster is paddle style but if i dont like it i found a link for the universal belt attachment for like 10$ shipped.

once i get it ill be sure to post a review. Everything ive heard about G code is good stuff so we'll see.

Last edited:
i love my kydex, made it myself. Can't beat it for carry of a big gun IWB. Probably cost me $3. cut chopstick to sit between sights and tape into place. heat kydex in oven and form around gun for general fit. use an iron with aluminum foil around it and a pair of mechanics gloves to finish. Adjust tension on trigger guard by heating area with iron and pressing kydex into trigger guard at forward most point. photo.jpg

Nope

Then I suggest that you buy a holster that has a straight drop - that will be faster and easier to use but won't conceal as well as a canted holster. Comp-tac, Bladetec, or Ready Tactical will all work. IMO, Serpa holsters are ergonomically flawed.

Very few shops carry a lot of holsters. Most shops are relatively small and simply don't have the space. If a gun shop carries 50 different handgun models, carrying 5 copies of 5 different holsters for each model simply isn't feasible.

I own holsters from a number of different companies, both in leather and kydex, including Milt Sparks, Lou Alessi, Rusty Sherrick, Kramer Leather, Comp-tac, Bladetech, Crossbreed, and Raven Concealment.

I own and regularly use a Raven Concealment holster. I have another one on order. Your suggestion that it is only worth $5, made without ever having used one, is, to be polite, uninformed. The Raven Phantom is the best OWB concealment holster I have ever used. It is better than the $110+ Milt Sparks 55BN holster for which I waited 10 months.

Yea the holster I got ended up being straight drop, i have no interest in using the rig for CC i already have a crossbreed that does the job.

as for the 5$ comment it's probably less than that if they buy in bulk. call it what you will uninformed,cheap, i dont care i cant justify paying 80-100$ for some plastic.

the only gunshop that carried any good selection of holster is gone now.

the holster will be replacing an old leather one i had. It was a desantis or galco i cant really remember but during a shoot i was having problems re holstering. the leather had gotten soft and started to make it's way inside the trigger guard. Not a good thing

the old holster was straight drop no retention. I am leery about the paddle style but we'll see how it is and if i dont like it i have a source to get the belt attachment for 10$ shipped.

Yea the holster I got ended up being straight drop, i have no interest in using the rig for CC i already have a crossbreed that does the job.

as for the 5$ comment it's probably less than that if they buy in bulk. call it what you will uninformed,cheap, i dont care i cant justify paying 80-100$ for some plastic.

the only gunshop that carried any good selection of holster is gone now.

First, kydex isn't injection molded plastic -- the processes are different.

Second, even if it was injection molded plastic, the cost of injection molded plastic isn't in the materials or in the direct labor -- the cost is in the mold and that cost can be enormous. If you are building a million widgets, then mold cost is amortized over a large enough volume that it is negligible. But that isn't the case here.

Third, Raven Concealment isn't a large company stamping out hundreds of thousands of holsters. It is a small company and the number of holsters that they sell is relatively small.

Fourth, you spent a similar amount on a Crossbreed holster, much of which is also made of kydex, but now you only want to spend $5? Really?

I'm sorry but you're just not making any sense.

I dont think you really are getting it.

Also why are we talking about plastic injection molding?

youre really harping on the 5$ comment huh? it was just a random number i through out there as a basis for materials from what i saw sheets of kydex going for.

i have no problem spending more than 5$, I didnt pay full price on my crossbreed either i got a deal on it.

bravo concealment is an alternative to the cost of raven. very comfortable and a great owb holster that is easily concealable. Add the pancake belt clips and its really concealable. Can be IWB too.

Back
Top Bottom