• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

KY accidental shooting

...I would never even consider it myself because I value my freedom, privacy, and feel that I am adequately versed in safety as well as safe storage to protect my children from accidents. ymmv.

Right. You are not in the target demographic.

The target "market" for a service like this would be folks who own guns but are not as well trained as those on this list. If the NRA has 4.5 million members, and over 50 million US households have guns, it would seem that over 90% of US gun owners don't even belong to the NRA. It seems safe to assume that their average level of training is lower than one would find on this site.

My handful of experiences amount to anecdotal evidence, which is why I'm asking the group. I've encountered a number of females who are decidedly not gun enthusiasts but have guns in their homes. Some of these guns have been handed down for generations. Some were bought by another family member. Some were gifts. All of these women were anxious about the guns, particularly regarding kids and/or grandkids. Recent events have heightened that anxiety.

I'm trying to imagine a way we shooting enthusiasts could better reach out to the other 90% of gun owners. They have access to NRA safety courses, but their lack of NRA membership suggests that many of them probably haven't taken the courses.

When I look at what I've done personally, it suggests there might be a market for the kind of Firearms Safety Inspection mentioned above. If we do it right, it will be no more invasive than having your piano tuned. If it helps upgrade the level of basic safety training among non-enthusiasts, I think it would be worth the effort. If people take advantage of the program, it will give them some connection to the NRA and the shooting community, which might lead to them taking courses and/or getting more involved.

This is just brainstorming. Maybe it's not a good idea...

Right. You are not in the target demographic.

The target "market" for a service like this would be folks who own guns but are not as well trained as those on this list. If the NRA has 4.5 million members, and over 50 million US households have guns, it would seem that over 90% of US gun owners don't even belong to the NRA. It seems safe to assume that their average level of training is lower than one would find on this site.

My handful of experiences amount to anecdotal evidence, which is why I'm asking the group. I've encountered a number of females who are decidedly not gun enthusiasts but have guns in their homes. Some of these guns have been handed down for generations. Some were bought by another family member. Some were gifts. All of these women were anxious about the guns, particularly regarding kids and/or grandkids. Recent events have heightened that anxiety.

I'm trying to imagine a way we shooting enthusiasts could better reach out to the other 90% of gun owners. They have access to NRA safety courses, but their lack of NRA membership suggests that many of them probably haven't taken the courses.

When I look at what I've done personally, it suggests there might be a market for the kind of Firearms Safety Inspection mentioned above. If we do it right, it will be no more invasive than having your piano tuned. If it helps upgrade the level of basic safety training among non-enthusiasts, I think it would be worth the effort. If people take advantage of the program, it will give them some connection to the NRA and the shooting community, which might lead to them taking courses and/or getting more involved.

This is just brainstorming. Maybe it's not a good idea...

I follow where you are going now, and it actually sounds like a promising idea which could be beneficial in changing the culture for the better as far as acceptance goes for firearms ownership in general. As long as it doesn't turn into a requirement for gun ownership, I don't think anyone would have an issue with this.

Back
Top Bottom