KY accidental shooting

As a gun owner we do not need this crap, but as a father of 2 (which I do plan on getting our oldest a rascal) I'm saddened by the stupidity of the parents of these children. I know the whole gun storage law from this state gets knocked around here a lot, but when having kids you do really need to use a little bit more sense to help prevent these accidents. Don't care what you others say or think, but the parents here should be charged with the death of their own child, even though how it's going in this country where you can kill your own child and get away with it!

Charles.

As a gun owner we do not need this crap, but as a father of 2 (which I do plan on getting our oldest a rascal) I'm saddened by the stupidity of the parents of these children. I know the whole gun storage law from this state gets knocked around here a lot, but when having kids you do really need to use a little bit more sense to help prevent these accidents. Don't care what you others say or think, but the parents here should be charged with the death of their own child, even though how it's going in this country where you can kill your own child and get away with it!

Charles.

Would a law have PREVENTED this? Or just provide for punishment afterwards?

As a parent, keeping little ones from harm goes far beyond firearms in the home!

My 4 year old can cause serious damage with a pencil, screwdriver, pretty much anything in the kitchen, garage, or basement.

Exactly. If someone is stupid enough to let their kids do this, a law would not have changed their behavior. Losing a child's life should be enough of a deterrent.

With the smallest amount of common sense this could have been prevented. Always keep gun aimed away from you and others, and check the damn chamber every time you pick the thing up!

No just some common sense. This is the garbage that the idiotic anti's are using against us cause some people just don't get it. Now if it was just the gun owner doing something stupid and doing it themselves, than what ever have at it, but this was a 5 and 2 year old that really have no understanding yet. It's like anything else responsible parents try to do to protect children. Even though it was an accident, the child didn't go out and buy that him self, it was given to him as a gift like it was a play toy.

Charles.

Who, in their right mind, would GIVE a 4 year old a firearm and then just leave it in the corner of a room???? When I was growing up, we had guns in the house (not locked in a safe, since the stupidity hadn't gotten to that point yet), that were not easy to just grab. When I was old enough to handle them (about 8) my father started taking me to the range (after teaching me gun safety from I don't know when). I NEVER picked up a gun without checking it's status. If the slide was locked back, it was easy to check the chamber. Same with revolvers. Rifles were always checked to be sure they were clear BEFORE coming off the firing line.

IMO, this is 100% negligence on the part of the parents (and 5 year old to a degree). To assume it's not loaded is just begging for someone to get hurt.

I wouldn't wish this event on any parent, but maybe it will help wake others up to teaching the safety rules to the children that are using firearms.

Charles.

I agree with Charles here. His point is that the law would not have prevented the death, but the fact that the law exists would at least be a reminder to the parents to store your firearms properly to prevent the accident in the first place. The argument that the law wouldn't have stopped it is a stupid one.

The logic would go that we have thieves who steal regardless of the law, so why have theft laws in the first place? The answer is, it provides a mechanism for punishing bad behavior. The parents must be held criminally responsible for this.

I really hate it when children get the short end if the Natural-Selection-stick. Those parents should be in the hole.

No just some common sense. This is the garbage that the idiotic anti's are using against us cause some people just don't get it. Now if it was just the gun owner doing something stupid and doing it themselves, than what ever have at it, but this was a 5 and 2 year old that really have no understanding yet. It's like anything else responsible parents try to do to protect children. Even though it was an accident, the child didn't go out and buy that him self, it was given to him as a gift like it was a play toy.

Charles.

Don't put laws on others because someone is an idiot. That's what liberals do.

Should he have taught his kids better and kept an eye on them, yes. Should there be storage laws or should he be punished? NO.

His kid is dead, that's punishment enough. Don't support nanny state laws because you don't approve of how other people are raising THEIR CHILDREN. Know why? Because there's lots of other people who don't like how you raise yours either.

People need to stop with this law and punishment nonsense.

Don't put laws on others because someone is an idiot. That's what liberals do.

Should he have taught his kids better and kept an eye on them, yes. Should there be storage laws or should he be punished? NO.

His kid is dead, that's punishment enough. Don't support nanny state laws because you don't approve of how other people are raising THEIR CHILDREN. Know why? Because there's lots of other people who don't like how you raise yours either.

People need to stop with this law and punishment nonsense.

Well said. Like always.

This story popped up on my newsfeed on facebook. (i know, i know i should delete my fb)
I started reading the comments, which i shouldn't have and it angered me but i let it slide.
It ate at me for not saying anything so i obviously had to jump in, man thewse people are ****ing sheep.

Expectant wife got to this article before I did. She basically said that with people out there who are this stupid, its hard to justify the second amendment.

While naturally...and almost loudly, I disagreed with her, it really doesn't help US when complete morons like this have access to so much as a frisbee, let alone a firearm.

Expectant wife got to this article before I did. She basically said that with people out there who are this stupid, its hard to justify the second amendment.

While naturally...and almost loudly, I disagreed with her, it really doesn't help US when complete morons like this have access to so much as a frisbee, let alone a firearm.

What's 2A got to do with stupidity ? Or irresponsibility ? Ugh.

It really doesn't help when people buy into this sort of bigoted thinking or can only muster a half hearted defense of liberty... That is what has allowed our rights to erode as far as they have. Not just the second either.

- - - Updated - - -

What's 2A got to do with stupidity ? Or irresponsibility ? Ugh.
His inner progressive elitist bubbled up.

C'mon Angel, you can do better than that.

The consequence of freedom is that bad things might happen.

The consequence of not having freedom is bad things will always happen, repeatedly.

Back
Top Bottom