• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

KTP Related-Does anybody remember

in years gone by of some kind of a court case involving the MA Ffl KTP was using getting into trouble and losing his license for not paying the sales tax here?

This was told to me by a gun store owner

I know, I know

Can you clarify? Do you mean the Mass FFL losing their license for not paying sales tax in general in Mass or the Mass FFL losing their license for not charging Mass sales tax of the full price of the firearm being transferred in from KTP?

No Mass FFLs should be charging sales tax on the price of the firearm as it was not purchased here. How would they even know the sale price? You are just paying them to transfer in the firearm, you are not buying it in Mass.

Last edited:
I wish I could clarify

This is all I was told. I was talking with a NH dealer and asking why he was charging me sales tax on the MA transfer and he related this story to me as the reason he won't risk it. It's basically as I told it. It's probably urban myth with a lot of facts mixed up, but he is adamant that it happened and that's why he won't change his policy

Sounds like a rip-off. NH dealers do NOT charge MA Sales Tax unless they have a presence in MA. Ask to see his "ST-1", Sales and Use Tax Registration . . . bet he doesn't have one (required to pay the Sales Tax to the state).

Sounds like he's making a tidy 5% on each transfer and spinning a yarn at the same time.

BTW: There is a LONG thread here on the fraudulent charging of sales tax on transfers. A little searching should turn it up.

Sounds like a rip-off. NH dealers do NOT charge MA Sales Tax unless they have a presence in MA. Ask to see his "ST-1", Sales and Use Tax Registration . . . bet he doesn't have one (required to pay the Sales Tax to the state).

Sounds like he's making a tidy 5% on each transfer and spinning a yarn at the same time.

BTW: There is a LONG thread here on the fraudulent charging of sales tax on transfers. A little searching should turn it up.

I know that's why I brought it up to him in the first place. I really don't think he is trying to rip anyone off. He would do a lot more MA sales without charging that stupid tax. He really believes he is supposed to do it and has that anecdote to go with it.
He says he would be willing to talk to any tax expert about it

Just ask to see his ST-1! [For MA vendors, this MUST be posted conspicuously in any place of business. Mine is on the file cabinet to the left of my desk.]

If he has one, he has to forward the tax to the state.

If he doesn't, he's a fraud and should be reported to DOR!

Back
Top Bottom