• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

KSG reviews..? anyone got experience

turbo38gn

NES Member
Like the title says.. anyone own or shoot one and can share any info with me... Just purchased one last night on GB.. I had the UTAS-15.. loved it, performed excellent but let it go.. looking forward to the KSG.. although noticed the guy who purchased my UTAS has it for sale... I was going to make an AR-15 offer, but didn't have the one he wanted..

overall nice shotgun. i'm NOT a keltec fan in general but i feel the KSG is well built. i picked mine up like a year ago at whatever gun show was in may/june, i don't recall which one. got a crazy good price couldn't say no.

anyway it shoots nicely. very easy to shoulder, nice ergos. slapped flip-up sights on it and off we go.

Two major issues with the KSG, at least for me, are:
1) short shucking the action will inevitably create a jam. it feeds/ejects via the same port, similar to an ithica, so you really gotta run the action like you mean it.
2) the crossbolt safety is reversed. pushing from the R -> L engages the safety....uh WTF? this is backwards from what i'm used to.

so ultimately why i do like the KSG, it will NEVER replace my trusty mossberg/remington pump-action...no way.

Thanks Squib,,, pretty much the same as my Utas was.. don't mess up racking it..... but I think the safety was more in line with an AR on the Utas.I think I got a smoking deal on my KSG.. just have to wait till wed for it to get here, it's bronze...

KSG is nice only thing I don't like is it is a pain in the ass to load compared to a typical pump. If there was an analogy, it'd be like "Being a zookeeper trying to put suppositories up an elephant's ass. " It sure is fun to shoot once loaded, though. might be wise to put a VFG on it, too, taking care to keep it back from the muzzle.

Yes agree on the VG for sure.....it would be mighty easy to slip ones racking hand in front of muzzle. I also put a magpul VG on might right away for this reason. Honestly i wouldnt shoot mine w/o it.

Thanks guys, I already have one sitting on the work bench waiting for it's new home... But I can tell you, I saw the article about the guy that blew his hand off using one. It isn't a cheap plastic VG with a plastic pin to secure it. It's the ole nut and through bolt fastener.

780.00 plus $25 for shipping... $805 in my hands, new in the box

Price is finally back to normal. [wink]

Hope you like it. I got one and it's been good to me. No problem since day 1. 3" slug is a hoot to shoot if you a recoil junkie like me.

<CALayer: 0x17784e50>

If there was an analogy, it'd be like "Being a zookeeper trying to put suppositories up an elephant's ass. "

Yeap, that sounds about right, maybe even like trying to artificially inseminate a cow. Friend brought home an unused glove from her animal husbandry class...

I had a KSG for a while, sold it, and just bought another to support Precision Point Firearms pledge of transfer fees to Comm2A! Snagged a tan one this time although I have now read they are just Cerakoted which I am not crazy about.

Unless you like bruising and sore shoulders buy some Fiocchi Low Recoil slugs or buckshot. I have shot a case of the slugs in one sitting and wasn't sore at all the next day. They still make cans and jugs dance.

Chris

oh boy... been a while since I bought a new gun I didn't trade for... I'm anxious... I picked up a set of Diamondhead low profile sights yesterday.. got a red dot I may try as well.... sheeeeit.... I may go back and get a set of the offset sights from Diamondhead so I can use the red dot... hmmmmmm also talking with one of the guys at the gs... he said the 13\4 nshells work great... and I gots a bunch O dem!!!

I had a KSG for a while, sold it, and just bought another to support Precision Point Firearms pledge of transfer fees to Comm2A! Snagged a tan one this time although I have now read they are just Cerakoted which I am not crazy about.
Chris

Precision Point donates the transfer fee to Comm2a? How much do they charge for the transfer? I'm looking to buy one of these off Gunbroker but would need a FFL to handle the transfer. it sucks that dealers are still $100-200 above what they sell for nationally here in Ma.

Got it..... wasn't sure how the color would look...... love it..
de91cb40d336de224026e2fc877e9d40.jpg
7858b632f108ec8f8e1344e2d9cd8e74.jpg
403cedcdc18b545b335c8468d57cdc04.jpg

Precision Point donates the transfer fee to Comm2a? How much do they charge for the transfer? I'm looking to buy one of these off Gunbroker but would need a FFL to handle the transfer. it sucks that dealers are still $100-200 above what they sell for nationally here in Ma.

Yeap, for the month of January. Their transfer fee is only $20.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...!-All-Transfer-Proceeds-this-month-to-Comm-2a!

I bought mine from Gunbroker as well, this was the cheapest for the tan one at the time, This was his last one unfortunately.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=462309397

Chris

My understanding from wiki is that KSG Gen 2 had "improvements including a trigger reset, small shell tube peep holes, and a fix of the action release to be easier to use and ambidextrous." Gen 2 have higher serial numbers which start with letters? Another indicator, I think, is color offerings as Gen 1 was only available in black. I have seen Gen3 in some GB listings and wondered what the distinction was.

Hopefully some owners can shed some light.

The "generations" are not supported by KelTec, just made up by owners as Keltec says they are continuously improving the design as they build them.

That bronze one would be called a Gen 3 which from what I have read is just a change to the foregrip over the gen 2.

Chris

I designed the Enforcer muzzle device for the KSG. I also did the T&E of the first KSG's, prior to the release for the public.

Do those minishells actually cycle in that thing without it jamming up? I thought those things only worked in a few pumps or single loaders, or side by sides?

-Mike

I designed the Enforcer muzzle device for the KSG. I also did the T&E of the first KSG's, prior to the release for the public.

Very kewl.... I like the muzzle device... gots to order one of those. So far, haven't shot it yet, but I have one complaint... the metal cheek weld on the butt stock..... daaaaamn that thing is cold!!! I'm working on installing a tight foam rubber pad around it now, just need to find an adhesive that works. So far I'm 0 for 4.. going to the shop and getting some 3M super weather strip adhesive.... that shit will bond anything!!

Looking out the window at the thermometer.... it's up to 4*... I may get to shoot yet...

I shot my cousins KSG, it had the Magpul Afg foregrip which i thought was really nice, blended in with the gun, almost like it was part of it. One other thing... It kicked like a mule, maybe it was the 3" slugs? A muzzle break would help alot. Definitely a cool gun, i think i'll get one some day.

Very kewl.... I like the muzzle device... gots to order one of those. So far, haven't shot it yet, but I have one complaint... the metal cheek weld on the butt stock..... daaaaamn that thing is cold!!! I'm working on installing a tight foam rubber pad around it now, just need to find an adhesive that works. So far I'm 0 for 4.. going to the shop and getting some 3M super weather strip adhesive.... that shit will bond anything!!

Looking out the window at the thermometer.... it's up to 4*... I may get to shoot yet...

I also was able to test the kydex cheek cover for the KSG, works awesome. When I wrote my review and consulted with KelTec some of the early issues were a shallow picatinny rail and the muzzle nut torque spec. The KSG is a simple design, generally speaking, operation of the platform must be conducted with some vigor :). I have some stuff here let me know what you are looking for, via. PM.

4d0acabfab1dae06884cc8cb44ead816.jpg

Ok, so I been poking all day on this gun.... looking on the net for accessories... but in between... I dug out my para cord, a pull ring from a grenade and made a hook up for my single point sling.. [grin]... it'll work for now, till I can get something else..

Ok.... so I had a long conversation with Alpha..... had a bunch of great info. We talked about my sling set up, he nailed it, my set up was kinda tight around my neck, he tried it before. Suggested using the offset magpul RSA ... I had one on another AR... now I have one on my KSG..... IT WORKS AWSOME ! Thanks Greg.
a4d3673dc6d88a92e93d61def905b3c9.jpg

Do those minishells actually cycle in that thing without it jamming up? I thought those things only worked in a few pumps or single loaders, or side by sides?

-Mike

I felt like a retard at the pumpkin shoot this year. They where flipping around and Falling out in my 500 . I should of tested the feeding beforehand.

Back
Top Bottom