• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Kriss Vector AWB feature question

Alright Gents,

U saw the subject of this post, the dreaded AWB features bullshit! Hehe. Seriously now, I have a vector and the rifle by design has the pistol grip atttached to the frame so that means I gain an extra Killy feature like a raptor launcher or great white shark bayonet or a telescopeing stock right??...fire away.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "attached to the frame."

ARs and AKs have theirs attached to the receiver.
If I recall the law states it counts if the grip "protrudes conspicuously below the action" or something similar.

I imagine the Steyr AUG's grip counted as a feature (I know it was banned by name as well).

EDIT: I see what you mean by the "frame" now. FWIW, Kriss seems to think it's an AWB feature, since they offered the grip wrap to make it CA legal:
Return of the Kriss Vector Gen II Carbine to the California Market -

Not overly familiar with CA's ban, but I imagine it's cut from the same cloth as ours.

Last edited:
I would generally agree with the above. Only question is how or if the proprietary action of the Vector would be a loophole.

I owned one in MA at one time and the stock was fixed from the factory. So it was treated as an AW in standard config even back when.

I think you’re confusing pistol AWB and rifle AWB. The mag inside the grip avoids the pistol AWB, but this is a rifle so it isn’t relevant.

You can still have only one feature, and that’s the pistol grip, which is below the action. The stock must be fixed and the muzzle device pinned and welded.

That’s how I see it.

Mine came in AWB configuration. The pistol grip is permanently attached to frame behind the action so it makes me wonder about gaining that extra feature

I think you’re confusing pistol AWB and rifle AWB. The mag inside the grip avoids the pistol AWB, but this is a rifle so it isn’t relevant.

You can still have only one feature, and that’s the pistol grip, which is below the action. The stock must be fixed and the muzzle device pinned and welded.

That’s how I see it.

Kind of moot, but the mag is not in the grip in a Kriss Vector.

I must be an idiot (admitted before someone makes the suggestion), as the AW enforcement notice still confuses me. It defines the ban weapons as named items and then:

(B) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of—
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) a bayonet mount;
(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
(v) a grenade launcher;

I immediately interpret that as the Kriss Vector is a semi auto rifle, has a detachable magazine, and (ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon (first feature), so shouldn't having one more item then make it an "AW". Many others seem to think that you get 2 items along with accepting magazines, but I can't reconcile that with the above language. If it matches (B)'s minimum description, it is AW, no?

Kind of moot, but the mag is not in the grip in a Kriss Vector.

I must be an idiot (admitted before someone makes the suggestion), as the AW enforcement notice still confuses me. It defines the ban weapons as named items and then:

(B) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of—
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) a bayonet mount;
(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
(v) a grenade launcher;

I immediately interpret that as the Kriss Vector is a semi auto rifle, has a detachable magazine, and (ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon (first feature), so shouldn't having one more item then make it an "AW". Many others seem to think that you get 2 items along with accepting magazines, but I can't reconcile that with the above language. If it matches (B)'s minimum description, it is AW, no?
The Grip is not “beneath” the action. It’s directly behind it

Damn! Anybody want my grenade launcher? Fits most MP series Shied #1 and #2 and bodyguard, also adapter kit for LC9s. God save the Commonwealth!

The Grip is not “beneath” the action. It’s directly behind it

If you're in MA, I'd just say good luck with that technicality argument. Maybe you win, maybe you don't. You and I (and everyone else on this forum) knows Kris Vectors have that funky action that is top to bottom of the carbine/pistol. The grip is then both below AND besides the action. If LEO or a DA wanted to F you over this technicality though, they would.

This is just another example of how poorly written and out of date the AW enforcement notice is. The intention on the grip language was to make a distinction between hunting style stocks and grip stocks, but didn't account for design innovation like Kriss Vector. By the intent of the underlying concept, the Kris Vector has the non-hunting style grip.

G
If you're in MA, I'd just say good luck with that technicality argument. Maybe you win, maybe you don't. You and I (and everyone else on this forum) knows Kris Vectors have that funky action that is top to bottom of the carbine/pistol. The grip is then both below AND besides the action. If LEO or a DA wanted to F you over this technicality though, they would.

This is just another example of how poorly written and out of date the AW enforcement notice is. The intention on the grip language was to make a distinction between hunting style stocks and grip stocks, but didn't account for design innovation like Kriss Vector. By the intent of the underlying concept, the Kris Vector has the non-hunting style grip.
Good point, guess I’ll use one of those cross armory locks on my telescoping stock...........

Every Vector I've seen in a MA gun shop has a pinned stock, I don't think the grip being part of the receiver buys you anything, but what the hell do I know. I put an ACE entry stock on mine

The Kriss Vector .45 is now a "High Powered Assault Rifle"

Ive looked at the vector as a "pistol" like other states have.

Without the fake shroud suppressor, you cant have it unless you do paperwork.

Its kinda pointless otherwise since its designed to be a cqc weapon.
Its one of the reasons why i chose the cx4 storm over it

Back
Top Bottom