• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Kriss 45 and 9

I'm considering purchasing a Kriss Gen 2. I see it's available in 45 and 9. I'm wondering how people feel about these firearms? I'd love some feedback before I spend all the money on one. Thank you!

I always thought that the requirement to pin the stock defeats the purpose/design of the gun. If we could keep the stock from being pinned here legally i would get one in 9mm.

i had one in 45acp and it was very well built. ended up selling it because i never took it to the range, but they are overall excellent quality. Kriss does not make junk. their pistol (sphinx SDP) is an incredible CZ patterned pistol. in terms of caliber, both are good. it comes down to your personal preference. in terms of ballistics I don't think the 45acp benefits much from the longer barrel as much as a 9mm would. these guns were originally designed to run as full auto SBRs and it is in the SBR configuration that they really shine.

kriss really thought through every little detail. when you shoot the kriss vector you get the feeling that they did tons of testing before putting it into production. it's a highly refined machine.

if i were doing it again i would probably go with the 9mm but that's due to cheaper cost of ammo and higher muzzle velocity makes it more fun to shoot at 50-100 yards. with 45acp i feel like i'm waiting a full minute to figure out if i hit the steel or not.

- - - Updated - - -

I always thought that the requirement to pin the stock defeats the purpose/design of the gun. If we could keep the stock from being pinned here legally i would get one in 9mm.

kriss makes an M4 adapter that does not fold. it provides threading to attach a standard AR buffer tube which in turn allows selection of any stock. the gun is easy to make AWB compliant.

I have shot the 9mm. As stated above its a really nice (and cool looking) gun. Plus you can get a preban glock mag 21 and use the Kriss adapter to make it a 25+ rounder or you can get a preban 33 round fun stick 9mm which is nice although expensive when compared to a preban AR or AK mag.

It shot very well. I guess my only complaint was the price. If I were to buy one id want the 9mm but I also have shot a beretta cx4 storm and to be honest it shot just about as well, it just looks kinda funky. The kicker is the Kriss is $1500-$1600 plus preban mags which are expensive or you can get the storm for around $750-$800 and then get a preban beretta mag (they make 30 rounders to my knowledge) for less than the preban glocks.

Nice gun, kinda pricey IMO.

The Kriss is a nice short to intermediate range SMG/SBR. Whether it makes sense for you depends on how you shoot: If you shoot mostly at 100 yards, it will be a boring gun. If you have bays for action pistol that allow you to setup gongs and move around, it will be a fun firearm.

$0.02

I've been researching them heavily as well.......I'm after the Vector in 9mm (bonus it takes glock mags which is my go to) they seem to have a flawless reputation minus the "majority" not liking the actual look of the firearm. #oldschool

Keep us updated if you go ahead with one!!

Picked up a CRB Gen II Enhanced in 45. Intent was to SBR it at some point, but I may end up residing in another state before I pursue that, judging by the wait time thread in the NFA forum.

So far I've only topped it with a TRS-25 (because it was handy), and made one range visit with it, but I'm very pleased with it. It certainly recoils differently, but it does recoil. The lack of muzzle rise make it easy work to keep a red dot on target. Changing mags is slightly weird. And when the mags run dry, the bolt catch position is the only indicator, and it's not very noticeable. I've thought about marking it with some paint/coloring, to make it easier to discern its condition.

Field stripping it prior, I was impressed with the design, and thought it would be easy enough for me to work on anything that might need replacing. Using pban mags, the U notch mags are problematic (shorter mag body), while the square notch mags work flawlessly. I'm looking forward to choosing a dedicated sight for it, and am thinking I might want to try the 9mm version.

i know this doesn't matter in MA, but in free states, is this configuration legal to buy without a tax stamp since there's no stock?

kriss-vector-gen-ii_sdp_pl_1.jpg

I know they're expensive but they're too cool, and even look good in carbine form. Love the white.

KRISSVectorGen2White.jpg

one cool little feature of the rifle is you can press-check by just pulling the charging handle out (not back). it pulls the bolt back just like 1/8" so you can take a peek into the chamber. i'm not sure if this is a kriss idea or has been done before (?) but it's wicked clever.

also iraqveteran8888 has some videos of them shooting the full auto SBR version where one can see the real utility of the bolt design. by having the bolt move downward it mitigates recoil such that the impulse is straight back (not upwards) so there is essentially zero muzzle rize while going full auto.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that 16" barrel removable/replaceable if you want to SBR it later?

This thread is really making me want one. 9mm would be really economical, though I assume you can use pre-ban .45 Glock mags as well.

kriss can do an SBR conversion on the carbine model. they have a mechanism in place for this because so many people purchase the carbine then want to SBR it. however, in terms of cost, as usual it's much more economical to purchase the kriss vector pistol then SBR it...of course those of us stuck in the commonwealth not an option.

kriss can do an SBR conversion on the carbine model. they have a mechanism in place for this because so many people purchase the carbine then want to SBR it. however, in terms of cost, as usual it's much more economical to purchase the kriss vector pistol then SBR it...of course those of us stuck in the commonwealth not an option.

If you have the NFA stamp, couldn't any dealer in Mass sell you the pistol, since it's legal for them to possess, and (with the stamp) legal for you to possess?

I think the pistol is technically legal just not on the mass approved and AG approved rosters.

I looked at it online. They have the SBR version which is essentially the pistol with a stock but not the longer length barrel of the carbine. Being a SBR you would need the NFA.

However they have the "pistol" version without the stock so essentially its a handgun/pistol so wouldnt that be legal in MA if you could get one transferred like a new glock can be transferred once registered in MA?

I think the pistol is technically legal just not on the mass approved and AG approved rosters.

I looked at it online. They have the SBR version which is essentially the pistol with a stock but not the longer length barrel of the carbine. Being a SBR you would need the NFA.

However they have the "pistol" version without the stock so essentially its a handgun/pistol so wouldnt that be legal in MA if you could get one transferred like a new glock can be transferred once registered in MA?

my understanding is the kriss vector pistol would not be compliant with the AWB
http://goal.org/masslawpages/awfacts.html

- - - Updated - - -

If you have the NFA stamp, couldn't any dealer in Mass sell you the pistol, since it's legal for them to possess, and (with the stamp) legal for you to possess?

i'm not NFA savvy so not sure. due to the pistol AWB i don't think many MA folks go from pistol -> SBR the way most free staters do it. in MA i think the few SBR owners go from carbine -> SBR. hopefully someone else will chime in on this as it pertains to the kriss.

Ughhhhhhh.......yup just read that magazine is outside of the pistol grip and it has the hand shroud to allow holding the pistol with the non-shooting hand.....

my understanding is the kriss vector pistol would not be compliant with the AWB
http://goal.org/masslawpages/awfacts.html

- - - Updated - - -

i'm not NFA savvy so not sure. due to the pistol AWB i don't think many MA folks go from pistol -> SBR the way most free staters do it. in MA i think the few SBR owners go from carbine -> SBR. hopefully someone else will chime in on this as it pertains to the kriss.

Ughhhhhhh.......yup just read that magazine is outside of the pistol grip and it has the hand shroud to allow holding the pistol with the non-shooting hand.....

basically if it's fun, then you can't have it in MA

What if I use a cutting tool and cut the hand shroud off so its not covering the barrel and just shoot the gun using an oven mitt on my non-shooting hand?

Oh wait oven mitts aren't on the approved roster so technically id be out of compliance right?

basically if it's fun, then you can't have it in MA

In my limited understanding its unclear if the AWB covers NFA'd SBRs in Mass. I think i'd rather have an AR in SBR form anyway, i like the Kriss in carbine form.

Back
Top Bottom