• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Knoxx recoil-reducing stock mini-review (Mossberg 500 / 600)

jasons

NES Life Member
NES Member
I recently found a pretty good deal on an open-box (but apparently never used) Knoxx recoil-reducing collapsible stock for a Mossberg 500, so I grabbed it. I wanted to write up a quick mini-review.

First impressions - nice quality. The stock and forearm are made of some sort of glass reinforced plastic that seems very solid. It definitely feels stronger and more substantial than the stock black plastic stocks that come on most Mossbergs. The springs used for recoil reduction are very stiff and it takes a lot of pressure to get them to move at all. It came with a long ball-end allen wrench and decent instructions.

Installation - (Note - I installed on a "New Haven by Mossberg 600AST," that I picked up used for short money. The 600 is basically a store brand version of a 500.)

Installing the stock was super easy. Remove the butt plate / pad on the old stock and then unscrew the one stock screw (you need a long screwdriver for this.) Then, remove the sliding portion of the new stock, line up the included bolt, use the included allen to tighten, and reinstall the sliding portion. Easy stuff, took maybe 10 minutes tops.

The forearm was a different story. It looks like they use the same forearm for many different models of shotgun, and as such the fit was not great out of the box. It was a VERY tight fit just to get it on and I needed to do a ton of dremel work to get enough clearance for the forearm nut to fit right. I used a small sanding wheel and just started to clearance out a little bit at a time. Sand a little, test fit, sand some more, repeat. Once I got the fit pretty close I used a plummer's torch to (carefully) smooth out and clean up the jaggy plastic shavings. This took me probably about an hour. (All the dremel work was inside where it's not visible so it looks fine.)

Test fire - I screwed on the new 18.5" barrel that I got online and went out to the woods behind DanG's house for some testing. I also brought my unmodified Mossberg 500 with the standard black plastic stock and forearm for comparison. For shells I used some Winchester White Box #8 lead shot (100 round bulk pack on sale for $24.95 at Dicks.)

The stock feels pretty good. The recoil reduction was noticeable but not dramatic. The adjustable part is very solid and doesn't wiggle or rattle at all. The pistol grip is about perfect for my medium-sized hands - a bit bigger than a stock AR pistol grip but not huge. (I find the stock AR grips a bit small.)

Overall, I like it a lot. I'm going to try to find a place to test some bigger shells this weekend, I expect the recoil reduction will be more significant as the power ramps up. For the $90 bucks that I paid I think it was a great deal and I consider it money well spent.

-JasonS

IMG_2060.jpg

Last edited:
I bought one for a Rem 870 Police shotgun that I bought last year. I have a bad shoulder (torn rotator cuff some years ago) so I notice recoil in a sometimes painful way. Shooting the gun with the plastic stock, using 00 Buck and slugs, I could feel it after a box or two.

Put the Knoxx recoil-reducing stock on and I could probably shoot it all day w/o any pain. Great product and highly recommended.

I don't think that skeet/trap loads have much recoil anyway, which would account for why the OP didn't feel much difference. Ramp up to 00 or slugs and you should see a bid difference.

I didn't replace the forearm as the gun I bought came with a Surefire forearm/light.

Something to keep in mind that I wasn't aware of the first time I shot with one of those stocks... The collapsible part is nice, but don't shoot it like a rifle if you collapse it all the way down. Your face will thank you [crying]

Jasons. Thanks for posting this. I just purchased one of these myself (for Mossy 500) and haven't had a chance to try it out. Good to know that it works well. Also thanks for the tips on the forearm (I may just leave the factory one on).

Good review jasons. One thing to note is that it does take a little break-in time for the spring built into the stock. I didn't start noticing significant recoil reduction until I went threw about 20 or so 1 oz slugs.

I have this stock on my Mossberg 590A1 and I put almost 75 shells through this weapon at TVI's shoot in June and my shoulder felt fine at the end of the day.

Back
Top Bottom