• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

knob creek???

anyone ever been??? i REAAAALLY wanna go...seems like mecca for us gun freaks

i know theres a shoot there coming up this month but if im not mistaken they do one in october too

i was told that the one in october is better as far as weather and climate goes

im gonna definately try and make it out there this fall...maybe an nes field trip???

Love The Creek...

When I lived in Ohio, I went several times. In the 80's it was a really big event, but has become HUGE, (which isn't necessarily a bad thing). Just make sure you bring a lot of dough - you'll spend it. Nothing is worse than going to Knob Creek and running out of cash. I'm not sure if the guy still goes, but back in the 80's you could rent a 40mm Bofors....Talk about Yee-Haw!

It's a machine gun paradise for sure, if not a little packed. My favorite time was going there post weekend and renting machine guns with only a few on the range...Ahhhh the good old days..... [wink]

In case anyone needs some incentive... [smile]

Oh Yeah!

Also on the must pilgrimage to before I die...

Bullet Fest

(and I guess I can add Shot Show even though it lacks the fun factor by comparison).

A buddy of mine from Troy, Ohio used to have a line position at Knob Creek every year. I don't think that he's brought his stuff down there in a few years, but I know that he goes all the time.

Of all the years that I was in Louisville and Dayton, I'm pretty pissed that I never made it to Knob Creek...

Been there, done that.

Hi guys.

I've recently been to KC and live in CT. We got a big group together over at Parallax (www.milsurpshooter.net)and stayed at a KOA campground which is about 20 minutes from Knob Creek gun range. I flew into Louisville (SDF airport code) and one of my buddies picked me up and away we went. Some local fellas dragged in a couple of campers and there are also some cabins you can rent that are inexpensive. We planned on a couple of meals and shared expenses. IT was a cheap way to stay close by.

I've also traveled to Louisville for the NGD (National Gun Day) event held at the biggest gun show in the country; 3000+ tables! Imagine three full Big E shows, wall to wall. These guys take there firearms quite seriously to say the least.

To call Knob Creek a spectacle is an understatement. It should be experienced at least once if you are a shooter. The hardware on the shooting line would clearly be valued at over a million dollars all added together. There are usually not one but two GE Miniguns, and virtually every type and age of machine gun made with usually a couple of cannon all shooting at the same time. When the range goes "hot", you'd better have your muffs with you because no matter where you are in the range, you'll be needing them.

KC is simply a big, privately owned gun range. You join it like you'd join any club in your area. It's just that they've cornered the market on HUGE MG meets.

The range is littered with cars, boats (honest-to-God), washing machines, refrigerators, old fire engines (with working lights to boot) and on and on. At least once a day they remove the battered remains and add new "targets". At night, they also have 55 gallon drums of kero or some other explosive and the "night shoot" is something that you just gawk at because the explosions are indescribable. Everyone is shooting tracers, too. And, there are always flame-throwers....which you can also try.

When I was there last, they even had a Loach helicopters with an M60 in it and they were strafing the range field from the air. If you can think of something totally outrageous to do with a machine gun, they've done it. Sometimes there are also low-level aircraft flights.

Let me also say, however, that the security there is very serious and readily apparent. The term "range officer" takes on a whole new meaning there. These guys are armed to the teeth, standing at the ready and there's no doubt that if someone would decided to "go postal" or try to help themselves to an unattended firearm, it would not last long.

Outside of watching the shooting demonstrations, you can also go to another, lower range and rent from a large variety of machine guns to shoot. The owners give you a quick education and away you go. It's not unlike the MG shoot in Westfield (I went there last fall in the HUGE rain storm!) but much, much, much bigger.

There is also a very large (1000+ table) covered pavilion swap/buy meet going on as well as a very well stocked gun shop on the premises. You can buy anything there from firing pins for your FN49 to a quad-fifty setup, no kidding. There are a lot of off-the-shoulder buys going on there, too, although anything that is a MG has a lot of paperwork with it. While the atmosphere is relaxed, the "T's" are all crossed the "I's" are dotted. No doubt there is a contingency of ATF guys floating around with all that hardware out there. I got my M1a on a shoulder purchase when I last attended. Flying home with a rifle is a piece of cake, btw. Prices are more mid-west like as opposed to New England prices and there's usually room to negotiate.

In addition to the MG rental range, there is a "jungle" event where you are tasked with shooting a bunch of hidden targets as you walk through a firing course in the thick woods with a Uzi or Sten something like it. You are scored on your hits. It's pretty intense. I didn't do that as I was a bit uncomfortable not having any experience with any MGs and walking around shooting in all different directions was unnerving, too. They do it very safely somehow, however. I did "rent" an M16 to try. I had no idea how fast a 30 round mag would empty even with 3 round burst enabled. I have a lot more respect for our soldiers for their ability to reserve their ammo!

Finally, in addition to all that, there are a number of major suppliers who have basically permanent stalls there. Coles is there as is AIM and Tapco and many others. So, you can get some good prices on rifles and ammo as well as accessories. Coles does a booming business there.

If you decide to go, I'd recommend the fall event. They have a spring event but the weather is really iffy. When I went in the fall, it was beautiful, warm and dry. In the spring, if it rains, you're going to be miserable. There is a lot.....a lot of mud and temps can be cool do go prepared with good boots and raingear. There is a stream at the lower end, toward the MG rental field that can flood causing problems.

You'll need one full day to see everything but you could spend the full two days of the event. There is a cafeteria in the place as well as many food vendors and prices are reasonable, not fair-like. Parking can be a chore but they've got trams in and out of the place for free. They're usually those military "mules" that are pulling wagons you can jump on and off. Get there early if you want a good parking spot.

As you enter the range, you'll be treated to a military armaments display of tanks and big guns, tents, and reinactors. Nice touch.

I hope this gives you a feel for what to expect. Would I go again? Well, no. I've "been there, done that" and it's really not my cup of tea but a lot of guys go each and every year, twice, usually more for the big sales pavilion and the vendors. The one thing I still remember is the concussion you feel in your body as the big MGs fire all at once. It's an opportunity for you to experience what a full-bore assault must have sounded like during WWII.

Rome

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been wanting to go to this shoot ever since I watched it on Mail Call on the History Channel. Looks to be one oustanding time. Hell, I may just jump in the car and drive down. I'm not above sleeping in the car to save money for shooting. [wink]

Actually, one of the first things I did was stop at a package store and picked some up. I was aghast to see that it cost MORE there then it did in Mass. It wasn't that great, but I did have to drink most of it to come to that conclusion! LOL

R

http://www.hansonshoot.com/

smaller than Knobcreek but still a heckuva lotta fun !

Hey I am not trying to hijack this thread...definately everyone with even a little interest in MG's should make it down to the creek at least once in thier lives...that said from a spectator stand point, I prefer the smaller MG events, there is almost too much going on...

So go down to the creek and enjoy...but come home and enjoy our "little" shoot in Hanson http://www.hansonshoot.com
Or for those of you who do the myspace http://www.myspace.com/hansonshoot

Oh and Cabinetman FYI we had 3 miniguns at Hanson last year [wink]

Thanks for that Hanson club link. I had no idea it existed. Ya know, clubs should have single source website that we can all access to see what events are playing in our geographical area. Not only would it improve attendance, but we'd all be able to decide on what events we'd like to participate in on any given weekend. My wife will be out of town over Memorial Day weekend leaving me on my own. If I'm not flyfishing someplace, I might just head up to Hanson to check things out. Looks like fun!

Rome

Is there an actual show (tables with stuff for sale) at the hanson shoot or just the shooting?

Is there an actual show (tables with stuff for sale) at the hanson shoot or just the shooting?

The gunshow is an aspect we are working on growing, last year we had roughly a dozen venders (I think, my involvement w/ the shoot is organizing the shooters, so I'm on the line all weekend).

But yes there are venders and as the shoot grows so does the gunshow, so I would expect we will have more venders this year than last.

Back
Top Bottom