• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Knob Creek Machine gun shoot

Has anyone ever been to the machine gun shoot they do? I am thinking about taking a flight down there for it but wanted to know if anyone has done this before and if it's worth it.

Last edited:
Have you been?
I don't have to pick up a glowing horseshoe to know it's hot.

Edit to add:
I guess it's rude of me to not explain. I apologize for coming off somewhat brusque.

I'm not part of the NFA world, but I do read about what interests me -- a lot! One of the secret legends in that world was Kent Lomont, who passed away just over a year ago. While little known to the general gun community, and completely unknown to the Fudd world and non-gun people, to say that he was legendary with machineguns and ammunition development would be the epitome of an understatement.

Have you ever read Unintended Consequences? Let's just say that John Ross would have had to tone down Kent Lomont to make him a believable character.

He actually did inspire some of the characters and events in the novel, and is referred to in passing, which brings us back to Knob Creek...

In 1986, we had changes to the Gun Control Act which are positive for the vast majority of gun owners. Foremost is what is commonly called "FOPA", the provision that guarantees safe passage when transporting guns through a jurisdiction where they would otherwise be illegal. Also, the restriction of only buying rifles or shotguns from dealers in states contiguous to your state of residence was lifted; now, you can buy them in any state, so long as the sale is legal in both states. These were good things, but the trade-offs were ghastly.

It also made huge negative changes for the tiny minority of gun owners who work or play in the full auto world. It banned machineguns made after May 1986 from possession or transfer to any private citizen who wasn't a Class III dealer. Licensed manufacturers could no longer make machineguns without paying the Special Occupational Tax, which is an extra $1,000 per year on top of the Manufacturer FFL.

These changes created a huge rush to make and register MG receivers before the cutoff date, and also a very healthy black market to register receivers made after that date, or which had been made earlier but never registered. The market for illegal MGs had always been small, because they were neither popular nor expensive, but the newly restricted market created a huge surge in price for those that could be legally transferred.

And so it was that a fellow approached Kent Lomont at his table at Knob Creek, and asked how to register MG receivers. Kent said he couldn't help him, but a fellow named Hunter had papers. That was it.

Hunter was an informant, and the whole lot were prosecuted, including Kent Lomont, for conspiracy to violate the Gun Control Act and National Firearms Act.

Long story short: go to Knob Creek, play with the goodies, have fun, but don't buy or sell anything, or talk to anyone about anything of questionable legality.

Last edited:
I don't plan on buying any firearms at knob creek pretty much because bringing it back to this state would be a pain in the ass. I would look for cool tactical sutff. Mainly want to see this place and try out some rare machine guns.

Been there, done that, have the T-shirt.

Has anyone ever been to the machine gun shoot they do? I am thinking about taking a flight down there for it but wanted to know if anyone has done this before and if it's worth it.

It's worth a visit. Bring lots of cash, and figure out where you're going to spend the night before you book flights, or just drive down and plan on sleeping in the car.

I've attended twice. Everyone should absolutely go at least once. You'll see a million dollars of gear on the firing line and the impact of the concussions are mind blowing. One thing to know right off the bat is to ALWAYS have your muffs with you from the moment you get out of your car or you'll be deaf.

Also, btw, save your money. KC bourbon cost less here than it does there. Go figure!

KC used to be just a spectacular event for both NFA and non-nfa firearms. There were a lot of vendors selling at below magazine prices and they did a ton of business especially on ammo. Today, with the economy the way it is and the state of affairs with ammo nationally and the midway is somewhat collapsed from its hey-day 10 years ago. They do have plenty to keep you occupied. They have a huge permanent pavilion that is packed with vendors selling virtually everyhing you can manage to imagine. Sure there's lots of MG parts but you'll also find tons of parts of your firearm of choice, too. There are events you can also take part in. There are ranges that will sell you time with various MGs and there's even a jungle walk where you take a walk in the woods with a SMG for some fun.

Dress for the day is camo of some type (lol). You'll see entire familes dressed in camo there. There will be a LOT of off-the-shoulder sales there as well. Keep your eyes open for some bargains there. If you do you pick up a long gun there, know that there's a WalMart just outside of town and you can pick up a cheap hardcase for about $20 to ship it home. (ask me how I know!)

One other word of advise: prepare for rain. The spring meet attracts rain and when it rains there it becomes a mud-hole. PAck your wet-weather boots and bring a pouncho.

In conclusion I found that I could see about 90% of this event in one day and evening. I could go back for breakfast and poke around the next morning to make sure I didn't miss anything or go back after thinking over a purchase. You'll have a great time and the people there are serious but fun. Range officers there carry open and don't think for one second that they wouldn't draw on anyone trying to climb over the barrier. They take this very very seriously.

BTW, we stayed at the KOA campgrounds not far from KC location. They did have a couple of cabins the last time I checked and that would save you money and time traveling.

Go there and have some fun! Go, too, when Louisville celebrates NGD (National Gun Day). Last time I was there for that the facility near their fairgrounds had a gun show with 3000 tables.

Rome

You betcha.. You simplyi won't see whats there anyplace else, especially the night-shoot. During the day, tool there is usually a tank out in the field finishing off some of the cars, boats, fire-engines, washer, dryers, etc. etc still recognizable on itne fireing range. There is also a Loach helicopter that has a m60 mounted to it and it comes in to strafe. I mean, where do you think you'd ever see anything like that anyplace else? They also shoot barrels of either gas or kero. The flames and smoke are like amazing!

Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot 2012 - YouTube

BTW, when you see that GE minigun go off (there are usually two) they just BUZZZZZ. Later, if you go out into the range (which they allow) you'll find a puddle of warm aluminum where there was once a washer. The minigun literally melts the metal housing so it's just a plate of metal. The kids always pick them up.

So, GO! for goodness sakes!
Rome

My last attendance, the firing line was not as crowded as the two times before that. There was ammo to be had but not as cheap or as much available as the times before that.
I would venture a guess that due to the national shortage of ammo availability, the sky high prices of what ammo is around that you're not going to see anything like in the past as far as firing line madness. My last visit there were long lulls between short episodes of activity on the firing line and I'd fully expect it to be much worse this time and from now on if things don't adjust pricewise for ammo. Yes, some of the guys on the line are quite wealthy and have ammo stacked deep but the res tof them are being subdued by their pocketbooks.

I think everyone should go at least once but its too bad that this upcoming one or future ones have to be the first as it won't compare to the shoots of the past where it was nonstop.
If you go, bring ears and eyes and wear them always, even when walking around. As pointed out above, if you can't find it there on some vendor's table it likely doesn't exist in the gun world.

Last edited by a moderator:
do they have a good track record for being safe? How long of a wait is it to shoot a machine gun or fly in the helicopter?

Based on the last poster's comments there will be no waiting. Even when it was busy, getting to shoot something was relatively quick. So was the shooting, aamof. I bought 30 rounds in an M16 and I barely got to begin smiling or swallow my spit before it was over! That gave me a new perspective as to how concious the soldier has to be when in the field! Same goes for getting a flight. You won't see humungous crowds for the time being. And, they do have two events every year.
Rome

do they have a good track record for being safe? How long of a wait is it to shoot a machine gun or fly in the helicopter?

Well, thats a matter of perspective. There have been accidents there but generally, yes the place is about as safe as it can be. One thing's for sure, you're not going to get mugged.

I don't know the answers to your other two questions, I've never shot there, nor flown in the chopper. My main reasons for going were to introduce my grandsons to the place, buy some ammo and to shop the tables for other things I needed.

I suspect I'll be attending more regularly in the future even if its just to walk around and see whats around as I've moved to Kentucky and its about a 2.5 hour drive for me. I'll be missing this spring event as I'm back in MA (spit), but hope to make the fall one if the country hasn't completely disintigrated by then.

The safest place on earth is Knob Creek Range during the MGS weekend.

do they have a good track record for being safe?
Nobody has ever died from a gunshot wound (or glock kaboom) at a Knob Creek machine gun shoot. There have been perhaps 3 people wounded by shrapnel, including a 20mm 'out of battery' incident.

There was the one tragic accident with the triple machine gun mount (crush injury), and I was there the the weekend some campers managed to darwin themselves by running a propane stove in their tent/trailer. I think that was the same weekend that somebody managed to walk off with a full-auto micro-uzi from one of the dealers tables.

Safe for everything but your budget.

Last edited:
I would love to go if I had th $$. I would tour KY for their bourbon but I wonder if they have dry counties? My liver and ears would not be thanking me.

I would love to go if I had th $$. I would tour KY for their bourbon but I wonder if they have dry counties? My liver and ears would not be thanking me.

Yes, lots of dry counties, about half of them currently but that is changing. Lots of counties are realizing the revenues being lost to neighboring counties (in the tens of millions of dollars annualy) and are rethinking their prohibition mindset. Its the bible belt and those who thump the bible the most are the worst hypocrites in the state.
The county I recently moved to just overwhelmingly voted itself fully wet this past summer. No more need to drive an hour for a sixpack or a bottle of booze or wine.
They were losing millions to counties further north and not only in alcohol sales but gasoline(people fill their tanks on their trips), groceries and whatever else people bought on their shopping trips. Someone finally pulled their head out of their ass and saw the light.

Back
Top Bottom