Knives you always wanted but never bought

SKS Ray

NES Member
Recent knife threads had me thinking about blades lately and the story about the dead guy with 1200 guns had a video of his collection which included a knife I always wanted but never had the cash for. That knife (using the term lightly here) is an Al Mar Pathfinder.

At almost 20" overall it's an impressive blade. There are a lot of fakes out there and the real ones go for around $500 still to this day. The price alone kept me from buying one many years ago when I first saw them in catalogs and even now I don't think I could justify spending that much on one but damn I'd love to own one.

$500 for a knife? [rolleyes]

Here is an excellent SS pocket knife with good scissors that I carry.

Winchesterboxed4pcgiftsetswissarmyk.jpg

Cold steel rajah Ii and Spartan. Absurdly large folders with no purpose get me hot n bothered

Here is a knife that would hunt yet fit in the pocket.

k2-_35e6d3ec-3d14-4b46-bfe3-eb9aa76ae54f.v2.jpg

WINCHESTER 22-49435 Folding Knife

They are about ten dollars at Walmart.

Microtech Halo - lots of versions, any version that had a straight edge and a glass breaker on it. Just too rich for my blood but always wanted one.

-Mike

Here is a knife that would hunt yet fit in the pocket.

k2-_35e6d3ec-3d14-4b46-bfe3-eb9aa76ae54f.v2.jpg

WINCHESTER 22-49435 Folding Knife

They are about ten dollars at Walmart.
I've got one of those and love it, the reason being it was the first folder I ever got and carried in my pocket when I was a kid. I distinctly remember one thanksgiving at my grandparents chopping down a small spruce tree in their yard cause it was super fun.

Microtech Halo - lots of versions, any version that had a straight edge and a glass breaker on it. Just too rich for my blood but always wanted one.

-Mike

I've always liked OTF's. I have an HK Tumult which is a really nice, not-so-cheap knife, but the Microtechs are the Rolls Royce of OTF's.

I've always liked OTF's. I have an HK Tumult which is a really nice, not-so-cheap knife, but the Microtechs are the Rolls Royce of OTF's.

same boat as you dudes. always wanted a microtech halo V or the venomtech. if you have never seen a venomtech, check it out. pretty unnecissary and extremely awesome

(See also: [thread=287032]Knife Thread[/thread])
One from Michael Spangler ...
Spangler's stuff shows up sporadically, though not at prices like the group buy from a few years back.
$500 for a knife? [rolleyes]
Here is an excellent SS pocket knife with good scissors that I carry.
$500 is the low end for a custom by a known knife-maker. For that price you might not get a knife that is pretty, but it will increase in value over time. For example:
2m5cb35.jpg

Handled a Bodega a few years ago and fell in love with Todd Begg's craftmanship. Would love to own a Bodega with the fluted blade style or a Beggatti. Prices are out of my reach for a knife.

Last edited:
Busse natural outlaw and battle mistress. Benchmade spear point Balisong. ZT hinderer 4 inch in CPM154 CM. Too many to list, really.

Recent knife threads had me thinking about blades lately and the story about the dead guy with 1200 guns had a video of his collection which included a knife I always wanted but never had the cash for. That knife (using the term lightly here) is an Al Mar Pathfinder.

At almost 20" overall it's an impressive blade. There are a lot of fakes out there and the real ones go for around $500 still to this day. The price alone kept me from buying one many years ago when I first saw them in catalogs and even now I don't think I could justify spending that much on one but damn I'd love to own one.

You Sir, know your cutlery. I have a bunch of Al Mars, all from the early 80s. A couple folders, a couple fixed blades, and my chefs and paring knives are Al Mars. I have a problem.

I was establishing a small collection of US military combat knives a long time ago. I first bought a Gerber Mark II which was popular with Special Forces troops in the Vietnam war. I was then extremely lucky to get a hand made copy of the Marble V 42 which was issued to Army Rangers in WWII. This knife is extremely rare because of the high attrition rate in WWII Ranger outfits. The final knife was another Gerber Mark II. This knife was made during the Vietnam war and was identified by its "bent shape". The knife was bent slightly at the junction of the blade and handle so that it would conform with the shape of the lower leg when strapped to a boot. Gerber gave up on the design when they got a lot of returns from customers who thought the bend was a defect, not part of the design. A few were available in the 60's but these knives are now extremely rare. I wish I had bought one when I had a chance.

What grinder are you using?
I see, I'm not the only one who turns flat grinds into convex[smile]

There's a number of Striders I would like, to add to the 3.5 I already have (SnG, SMF, SLCC and a Warren Thomas SLCC).

I'm also pretty hot and bothered over a few Bark Rivers right now.

Back
Top Bottom