• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Knives you always wanted but never bought

I was establishing a small collection of US military combat knives a long time ago. I first bought a Gerber Mark II which was popular with Special Forces troops in the Vietnam war. I was then extremely lucky to get a hand made copy of the Marble V 42 which was issued to Army Rangers in WWII. This knife is extremely rare because of the high attrition rate in WWII Ranger outfits. The final knife was another Gerber Mark II. This knife was made during the Vietnam war and was identified by its "bent shape". The knife was bent slightly at the junction of the blade and handle so that it would conform with the shape of the lower leg when strapped to a boot. Gerber gave up on the design when they got a lot of returns from customers who thought the bend was a defect, not part of the design. A few were available in the 60's but these knives are now extremely rare. I wish I had bought one when I had a chance.

I've got a Gerber "Guardian", double-edged bootknife, had it for years. Nice knife, actually serial-numbered. Illegal of course to carry here in Connecticut.

Here is a pic of the spyderco you mention.

FB31SBK_L.jpg

It's rather ugly~ [frown]

TOPS Stryker Defender. Don't have the ability to imbed a pic at the moment, but the thing is a beast. No-Go in MA for anything I'd do with it, as its double edged.

is there an affordable grinder out there for the hobbyist? I have a motor so I should be able to run a 72" belt

Define affordable, haha!

Most serious knifemakers use a 2X72" belt grinder. I use this one:
kmg-sba4.jpg

Its a KMG grinder from Beaumont Metalworks. Its not exactly affordable depending on your budget, though.

I made (and sold) knives for years made on a 2X42" craftsman belt grinder. The big downside is that they really run too fast and belt selection isnt nearly what it is for 72" belts.

There are also plans available to build one...but thats a project all by itself :)

Buck Woodsman... They go for $75 now. I have no idea how much my father paid for the one he gave me 52 years ago. Dragged it all through the woods of Maine and NH camping, fishing, and hunting. Still use it today and it is in great shape including the hard leather case it came in. Not a bit of rust or decay although the butt end is all scratched up from hammering nails into lean to poles and once I had to dive 15 feet into a cold Maine lake in May when I dropped it over the side of the canoe.
Buck.jpg

0102BKS-B.jpg

Back
Top Bottom