• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Knife V. Gun

Americans don't run, we stand for what's right. That's how we built this country.
The giving in and giving up our arms is not an option.
Generalizing much? The people who built this country are DEAD since 2 centuries now. Claiming tha Americans as a whole still have the same spirit than those people is downright comical.
I agree that there are situations where running is not an option. I, for one, live in Exeter, NH. Not in
Mogadishu, not in Beirut. For starters, I would believe that a guy who is an actually trained knife fighter trains and carries a knife for the same reason I carry a gun: self defense. Not attack. So, as I avoid pissing people off to the point where they would like to kill me (except on the internet, of course), I'm kinda safe from the really skilled guys. Let's face it: specialized training like knife fighting is provided by experts. Experts aren't cheap, and they usually use sound judgment when it comes to pick the people they chose to train. So, the mugger on the street is not really the kind of person who will shell out the money, and have the dedication to train hard, to become a skilled knife fighter. And for those guys, a gun shall suffice, to end the threat.

Guys, guys, guys.... The BEST defense against a knife is made by Asics and Nike.
Run, Forrest, run!

Nope.

I'm walking with jmjkd.

First rule of "how to win a fight"? Don't show up to the fight.
Let me know when that fight is, and I won't be there! As far as fleeing goes, it will do nothing for me but put my back to the threat.

@jmjkd you know trainers in the area, can you recommend any in southern NH Nashua area and west preferred. Not looking to travel a couple hours work my ass had and then have to drive back a couple hours

Let me know when that fight is, and I won't be there! As far as fleeing goes, it will do nothing for me but put my back to the threat.
you and me both won't be there. Situational awareness and common sense, combined with a little life experience and good judgment, go a long way when it comes to avoid a fight (of any kind, for that matter). In my time as a bouncer, I had to deal with knives every now and then. Thankfully, the people I had to deal with were a far cry for being a) trained, and b) determined enough. Maybe I was just lucky. No, let me rephrase that. PROBABLY, I was just lucky.

I have to say I never ever would have thought to drop on the ground to give myself some space to fight. It would have been the last thing on my mind.

I also don't know in what situation I'm being attacked by a guy running from 15 feet away. I'm guessing they get to arm's distance away before running at me. But if I'm ever charged by a rhino or bull elephant or something, STOP! DROP! and PULL! will be on my mind.

@jmjkd you know trainers in the area, can you recommend any in southern NH Nashua area and west preferred. Not looking to travel a couple hours work my ass had and then have to drive back a couple hours

Yup! I have a student now instructor who teaches in NH and has been a member of my JKD group for over 20 yrs He is a black belt in Kempo under Ed Parker, Black belt in BJJ under Cesar Gracie, and belongs to the Sayoc kali knife group. I'm usually up there once a year. I'll pm you with the info.

jmjkd, can you please fix that link, as it doesn't work for some reason. I'd be very interested in seeing it. Where do you teach?

Last edited:
I have have been lucky to have been able to train with Tom on many occasions. He lives in my State and we both studied Kuntao under Frank Masiello. Tom is an incredible instructor and awesome with the blade. i have never been to a Gaje gig, as having Tom a half hour away was the best thing I could get as far a blade training.

Back
Top Bottom