• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Knife 'STEELS'-N-DEALS thread!

Got the Big Snody and the Kaster in tonight.
Knife is girthy but manageable in length. Nice onion slicer for camping. I like it. Not tactical looking and more bushcrafty...
Sheath is nice but the color is horrible. Pumpkin orange and sealed with something.
Must be a vegetable tanned leather... [rofl]

The Kaster is very interesting and I will set it up over this Winter.
What I like is that it could also be easily used for ice fishing when paired with a dull hatchet during a Winter camp.

Found this Video on Mike Snody making a Big Boss. Interesting character... 🤔

3.75” CMP 20CV

Attachments

• D97E7653-4C11-42B9-9D66-A32844DF44CB.jpeg
    D97E7653-4C11-42B9-9D66-A32844DF44CB.jpeg
    745.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 21E52DE7-88E0-4100-8A3F-A223EB7F75C8.jpeg
    21E52DE7-88E0-4100-8A3F-A223EB7F75C8.jpeg
    699.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 95F2C77B-9B4F-45BB-AC0A-39AEF6E6E25E.jpeg
    95F2C77B-9B4F-45BB-AC0A-39AEF6E6E25E.jpeg
    472.8 KB · Views: 6
  • B3D2024A-2206-480B-AAB8-B05D2D0AA12B.jpeg
    B3D2024A-2206-480B-AAB8-B05D2D0AA12B.jpeg
    403.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Tried out the kaster yesterday, it actually works very good.
Yeah, it feels nice too. I've seen the youtube DIY hobo hand reels and the Ka-bar just looks better.

What line did you go with? I'm looking at Berkely Vanish fluorocarbon line in 14lb.

P.S. Love the new Avi... 😍

It's like a metronome... 🤔

Yeah, it feels nice too. I've seen the youtube DIY hobo hand reels and the Ka-bar just looks better.

What line did you go with? I'm looking at Berkely Vanish fluorocarbon line in 14lb.

I threw 8 lb on. It casts a fair distance, way better than I would have expected it to.

You are a true inspiration for knives and avatars!

I threw 8 lb on. It casts a fair distance, way better than I would have expected it to.

You are a true inspiration for knives and avatars!

Can you two(more specifically your avatars) continue the conversation indefinitely please?

Can you two(more specifically your avatars) continue the conversation indefinitely please?
We need a GIRLS! GIRLS! GIRLS! thread...🤔

It has to be tasteful though... or hidden deeply.

Ladies, brothers of the blade, I present you the deal of the year. Your choice of Magnacut or CPM 3V (two of the four absolute best steels available right now, the others being Elmax and Cruewear). I’m pretty sure you could baton these straight through a Busse Infi blade). I present you the GSO 5.1.
$270 is an absolute steal for this.

SOG Flash AT. $32 @ Midway. Not really a knife guy but the 60% off caught my eye and I thought I recalled hearing SOG mentioned here once or twice so I assume they're at least acceptable quality? IDK, but if anyone is interested here's the link...

Last edited:
Was at HD last night just before they closed and the guy at the counter saw the knife in my pocket and asked about it. I whipped it out (my knife) and let him mess around with it. He then proceeded to show me his (knife). It was a Knafs Lander. He actually had two of them on him. They were a great size and felt solid. Nice deep carry clip too. D2 steel, caged bearings and you can swap the scales out without taking it apart, all under $60. Seemed pretty cool.

Was at HD last night just before they closed and the guy at the counter saw the knife in my pocket and asked about it. I whipped it out (my knife) and let him mess around with it. He then proceeded to show me his (knife). It was a Knafs Lander. He actually had two of them on him. They were a great size and felt solid. Nice deep carry clip too. D2 steel, caged bearings and you can swap the scales out without taking it apart, all under $60. Seemed pretty cool.

Thanks for making sure nothing was misunderstood with that interaction.

Looks like a decent knife, I might grab one just for that carry clip

SOG Flash AT. $32 @ Midway. Not really a knife guy but the 60% off caught my eye and I thought I recalled hearing SOG mentioned here once or twice so I assume they're at least acceptable quality? IDK, but if anyone is interested here's the link...

About SOG they can be kind of hit and miss with product releases. I own a Twitch XL (assisted) a solid well made knife that's almost indestructible, also a Zoom (assisted) which is a great shape but just OK mechanism, and currently my EDC is a TAC XR which is a really excellent non-assisted folder.

Thanks for posting the sale.

Midway also has the Aegis AT on sale at $30.30 even though it lists for $10 more than the Flash AT you posted. If you read through the reviews for the Flash AT and Aegis AT you will see comments about folks having "difficulty" deploying the blade (assisted open).

Nonetheless I went ahead and ordered a Flash AT but it is the non-serrated version of the one you posted. I mean there were loads of these knifes sold at $85 with little complaint from folks so it is worth a roll of the dice for $32 without a doubt.

Thanks again!

🐯

About SOG they can be kind of hit and miss with product releases. I own a Twitch XL (assisted) a solid well made knife that's almost indestructible, also a Zoom (assisted) which is a great shape but just OK mechanism, and currently my EDC is a TAC XR which is a really excellent non-assisted folder.

Thanks for posting the sale.

Midway also has the Aegis AT on sale at $30.30 even though it lists for $10 more than the Flash AT you posted. If you read through the reviews for the Flash AT and Aegis AT you will see comments about folks having "difficulty" deploying the blade (assisted open).

Nonetheless I went ahead and ordered a Flash AT but it is the non-serrated version of the one you posted. I mean there were loads of these knifes sold at $85 with little complaint from folks so it is worth a roll of the dice for $32 without a doubt.

Thanks again!

🐯

The SOG Flash AT arrived yesterday and I have to say about those reviews that I am having no problem deploying the spring assist. Yes it requires a firm push on the thumb stud which isn't necessarily a bad thing, and the direction of the motion is important but the scales are contoured to put your thumb at the right angle. I just haven't had the trouble others have reported and once the spring does catch it is lightning fast to open to lockup.

In any event a very solid knife and certainly worth the $32 sale price, which was still on this morning when my friend from work went to order one.

Thanks again to @headednorth for pointing out the SOG sale at Midway.

gZLfdV8.jpg

🐯

$49.99 for a Buck 112, made in the USA!

It is hard to beat a Buck and their warranty.

I bought a Buck110FG when I joined the service in 1980 and carried it every day of my service and I still carry it on every deer hunt. Buck replaced the blade under warranty after I stupidly broke the tip off digging out a slug.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom