Knife sharpening

mcshooter

NES Life Member
NES Member
How much would you pay someone to do this, if you were going to pay someone to do it?

Simple maintenance sharpening

Extremely dull

Caked in crap, goo, and other stuff that needs to be cleaned off

Partial restoration (grip replacements minor fixes, etc)

Full restoration

I'm not asking to be lazy, I'm asking as a venture I'm thinking.

(If someone wants me to help them PM me and we can negotiate while figuring outnpricing)

How much would you pay someone to do this, if you were going to pay someone to do it?

Extremely dull

Full restoration

(If someone wants me to help them PM me and we can negotiate while figuring outnpricing)
Best of luck. [cheers] You'd be competing against guys like this depending on where you are.
He travels to butcher shops and such. Matt

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/CgIHrTvOnoP/

Sharpening, depening on the size of the blade and how bad it actually is, dull or chipped, could be anywhere from $5 for a small knife that was just a little dull to $40 for a large blade that needed chips ground out and a complete reprofiling.

New scales for the handle could be anywhere from $30 for wood and corby bolts if they fit the existing holes to hundreds for hidden tang buffalow horn.

It’s not a service I would use. I sharpen my own knives. I might pay to get a lesson on how to sharpen better.
Yup. I got one of these back in the mis 80s and my knives have received proper care ever since.
1665763484359.png

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7j6lnFiRfY&t=2s

Amazon product ASIN B0001MSA72View: https://www.amazon.com/Norton-IM313-11-5-Sharpening-System/dp/B0001MSA72/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=norton+im313&qid=1661785745&sprefix=norton+im3%2Caps%2C157&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&smid=A2HCHIE6U0W1ZN

NORTON took care of my Vocational School quite well back since at least the 70s. I don't know if there was a local connection to my Voke or what. But Ive been pretty darn faithful to them ever since.

As a brand of Saint-Gobain, a world leader in sustainable habitat, Norton offers the widest portfolio of grinding, cutting, blending, finishing and polishing solutions for all markets, materials and applications with the most advanced and affordable technology. So, as your needs evolve, our access to the global expertise of Saint-Gobain becomes even more valuable to making a difference in your day-to-day needs. And, we don’t have to look far for more localized expertise with our largest research center located right nearby in Northboro, MA.

Norton is proud of our strong presence in your communities across the United States and Canada. Our 2,200 employees work in one of 8 facilities. We’re a global brand that delivers locally – our employees are imagining, making, delivering, and selling products you use just around the corner. They bring deep experience and share common values focused on delivering powerful, precise, and user-friendly solutions to any finishing/refinishing application.

We hope you’ll explore our site to learn more about our products, markets, applications and partnerships as well as how we can customize made-to-order solutions that work specifically for you.

Last edited:
I don’t use a wicked edge. I have a set of wet stones.
Tried to use those a while back. Epic failure. I'm not about to go through a 'learning curve' to sharpen my knives (I don't buy cheap ones). Getting the correct angle for the edge is important to me. With the WE system, I nail it every single time. Plus I don't need to treat any stones before using the setup. Simply clamp the blade into the holder and pick the stone I want to run with.

So easy even a liberal could use it. [rofl2]

Extremely dull

Full restoration

Doesn't seem like a great business to me. Most people don't give a shit about knives and hardly realize sharpening is a thing. The majority of the rest have some easy enough way to get them sharpened. The remaining group that cares, but is too lazy, has to be pretty small.

Side note, I'm in that remaining last group, even though I have stones and a worksharp. 🤣

Back
Top Bottom