• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Knife refurb needed

Sparkey

NES Member
Looking for somebody who could rebuild this handle and fix up the sheath on this knife. It was my great grandfathers so has some sentimental value. It was sitting in a box and hadn’t been cared for in years and I just found it when a family member passed away. The blade is in good shape it was handmade in RI I would guess in the 1940’s
I did get some info from a guy about where to buy leather spacers and pommels but not sure I want to tackle myself but will if necessary.
Thanks ! 03908FB9-DDD3-412A-9FF5-794EEB426CC2.jpeg ABBC5655-727C-4903-B9D4-B31F7EB7DD37.jpeg A738D2A7-2630-4EF6-ABBC-485776CDBF28.jpeg

I use these guys for all my rehandles.

They are expensive, but their work deserves it. Explain the situation. They're good guys who will want to do great work for an heirloom like that. I sent in a junked Randall blade and worked with Grant to specify everything about the new handle, and I didn't think it was too unreasonable considering the quality of my blade. Maybe $200, but I got a nice piece of antler for that. They also included a sheath, which they partner with a local leatherworker to custom-make for each knife they sell.

I'm not affiliated with these guys, but they do great work and they've never let me down.

I use these guys for all my rehandles.

They are expensive, but their work deserves it. Explain the situation. They're good guys who will want to do great work for an heirloom like that. I sent in a junked Randall blade and worked with Grant to specify everything about the new handle, and I didn't think it was too unreasonable considering the quality of my blade. Maybe $200, but I got a nice piece of antler for that. They also included a sheath, which they partner with a local leatherworker to custom-make for each knife they sell.

I'm not affiliated with these guys, but they do great work and they've never let me down.

Niiiiiiiiiiiice. That bowie looks like the real deal.

That price seems quite reasonable, especially if they include a sheath.

I'll hasten to stress that this was awhile ago. Back when I was buying knives from them, the wait time for an archived build was only about two weeks. I see now it's quite a bit longer. I'd be surprised if their prices weren't higher now for rehandles, too.

The cost is what it is; I always recommend them because they're good, honest craftsmen with respect for their customers and a sense of pride in their work. I bet they'd even be happy to incorporate some of those old handle materials into the rebuild, if the OP wants them to.

It's an option, anyway. I bet there are some local makers that could do just as well, but I'm not aware of them.

Back
Top Bottom