Knife Recommendation

I have a buddy that is going into the army right after high school. I'm looking for a recommendation on a nice EDC knife for his 18th birthday. Maybe a nice folding knife, $100-200? Also, are you able to carry a personal knife on you in the army after training? Would something fit that purpose a little bit better?

Another vote for the PM2. You can get the regular G10 S30V for around $150 from BladeHQ. Just a damn good knife at an appropriate price. There are of course many options for blade steels, handle colors, blade finish, and if I had to choose from what's in stock, the Brown G10 with the S35VN blade is at the top of that list. 1579108219438.png

Last edited:
DON’T get one of these M16® - 10KZ TANTO BLACK WITH TRIPLE POINT™ SERRATIONS . My daughter who is in the Army deployed suddenly last week and this piece of junk with the extra locking mechanism wouldn’t unlock when she needed it most. She told me you have to buy your own knife so your buddy should plan get his own.

I’ve have Benchmade and Kershaw knives. I’m very happy with both brands and would recommend them without reservation. Best of luck to your buddy.

Gun owners shouldn't buy benchmade.

They screwed up by helping the local PD and they took a beating for it. They’re still an American made, quality cutting tool and while I don’t currently have a Benchmade in my rotation, I wouldn’t bat an eyelash if someone gave me a 940.

They screwed up by helping the local PD and they took a beating for it. They’re still an American made, quality cutting tool and while I don’t currently have a Benchmade in my rotation, I wouldn’t bat an eyelash if someone gave me a 940.

Sorry, they are still in the doghouse.

Say No to Benchmade

What'd I miss/forget about?
Benchmade cut up some gunz that a local department had slated for destruction. They did it free of cost so they saved the taxpayers some money. These were "crime guns" that were set to be destroyed anyway and the 2A crowd got all butthurt over it.

As to the OP, Benchmade, Kershaw, Zero Tolerence all make good knives in that price range. A nice Leatherman might be more useful however.

EDC pocket knives should be cheap and disposable. I carry a Emerson/Kershaw 6044T. $35 on amazon, it's a good, useful knife, and when I inevitably have to give it to the TSA I dont lose any sleep over it.

Good on you for doing something nice for your Buddy, and "Thank" him from Us for Joining up and Serving.

That said, my advice is to make it a "Made In America" blade from one of our great American Knife Manufacturers.
And get it Personalized. That way he will always remember his "Buddy" who got it for him when he's cutting 550paracord, opening a MRE, or just whittling a twig when he has down time.

Don't just buy "Off the Shelf". Make it special...

This link will bring you to a Customizable Buck 722 and you can have the blade personalized.
Below is just one configuration I picked as an example.
https://www.buckknives.com/custom-knife/customizable-722-spitfire-knife/CKS722/
1579134157224.png1579134196894.png1579134216376.png

BUCK U.S.A. Has a Forever Warranty...

Last edited:
Are you allowed to just take a knife with you to the Army? Any limitations? Want to make sure it is useful. Like the customizing idea. Great ideas everyone! Thanks.

Last edited:
Big fan of Zero Tolerance knives. I have the Emerson (sorta cqc-7 version) forget the number. Total tank.

ah. This one. 0620CF

Attachments

• 1D2D411C-7193-4ECA-9DFF-F2302549A62E.png
    1D2D411C-7193-4ECA-9DFF-F2302549A62E.png
    152.6 KB · Views: 37
Are you allowed to just take a knife with you to the Army? Any limitations? Want to make sure it is useful. Like the customizing idea. Great ideas everyone! Thanks.
NOTE: This info is not current. But...
When I was in and going through Basic/MOS. First day, first minute we were walked by a big ol 'amnesty' barrel that said: "CONTRABAND"

After that (and at his Duty Station) the Base Commander or Provost Marshall may ok it...

Get him the knife and give it to him on his graduation from MOS, then he can decide when/where he will bring it.

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CFR-2006-title32-vol3/pdf/CFR-2006-title32-vol3-sec552-128.pdf
(excerpt from link above)
(7) Individuals and agencies from pos-
sessing, transporting, storing, selling,
or using fixed bladed knives with a
blade length of more than 3 inches
when used for their lawful purpose (
i.e. steak knives, cooking knives, hunting
knives) and when in compliance with
all other requirements in this subpart.
~
(c) Personnel residing in troop billets
may store legally-acquired authorized
ammunition, knives and blades meas-
uring more than 3 inches,

Last edited:
Just looking at ZT’s line for the first time in a long time. I didn’t realize they had so many different styles, I figured they were all big bricks. Some of those look like they might work for me, though the frame lock would take some getting used to.

Spyderco, ZT or Emerson is all I would look at. Spyderco is the lightest and most civie friendly of the lot IMHO. Back lock is a requirement.

Having owned 5 different ZT models, the 0562CF was the best all around daily carry, take a beating and keep going. If I was still on active duty that is what I would be carrying. My daily carry now is a 0770 CF. Slimmer profile, but I work in an office so I just need a knife to open Amazon packages nowadays.

As others have said he cant bring it to basic training and usually not AIT. After that he should be good to go. I know its not a pocket knife but I am gonna recommend the leatherman mut. Not sure what his MOS is but I wish I had one of these when I was in the service.

1579268027567.png

At Basic and AIT, usually a no go. After that, I have seen list/posts/schools limit the size of your pocket folder to 3” but, I have never been anywhere where they checked. ( have you seen what they sell at the PX/clothing sales?) You will find most Soldiers have a pocket folder on them at all times and a fixed blade on their field gear. I have loaned/lost knives so I try to keep the cost at $50.00 or less.

Back
Top Bottom