• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Knife Laws in Massachusetts

Is it really illegal to own and possess a knife with a blade longer than one and one half inches long?There was an article in the Cape Cod Times last week about police officers confiscating knives from youths on the Cape.The reporter quoted from Ma general laws Chapter269-10.Is this for real?

From MGL Ch. 269 Sec. 10

(b) Whoever, except as provided by law, carries on his person, or carries on his person or under his control in a vehicle, any stiletto, dagger or a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position, any ballistic knife, or any knife with a detachable blade capable of being propelled by any mechanism, dirk knife, any knife having a double-edged blade, or a switch knife, or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches, or a slung shot, blowgun, blackjack, metallic knuckles or knuckles of any substance which could be put to the same use with the same or similar effect as metallic knuckles, nunchaku, zoobow, also known as klackers or kung fu sticks, or any similar weapon consisting of two sticks of wood, plastic or metal connected at one end by a length of rope, chain, wire or leather, a shuriken or any similar pointed starlike object intended to injure a person when thrown, or any armband, made with leather which has metallic spikes, points or studs or any similar device made from any other substance or a cestus or similar material weighted with metal or other substance and worn on the hand, or a manrikigusari or similar length of chain having weighted ends; or whoever, when arrested upon a warrant for an alleged crime, or when arrested while committing a breach or disturbance of the public peace, is armed with or has on his person, or has on his person or under his control in a vehicle, a billy or other dangerous weapon other than those herein mentioned and those mentioned in paragraph (a), shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than two and one-half years nor more than five years in the state prison, or for not less than six months nor more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction, except that, if the court finds that the defendant has not been previously convicted of a felony, he may be punished by a fine of not more than fifty dollars or by imprisonment for not more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction.

And don't even THINK about carrying a Zoobow. [laugh]

You can own one, just not carry it. Just leave it at home. I have a Kershaw spring assist with a 2" blade. Techinically, it is illegal because of the spring assist. A cop won't bother me as long as I'm not being a punk or using it in a felony. I'm not worried about it, but it's not a big huge stiletto.

You can own one, just not carry it. Just leave it at home. I have a Kershaw spring assist with a 2" blade. Techinically, it is illegal because of the spring assist. A cop won't bother me as long as I'm not being a punk or using it in a felony. I'm not worried about it, but it's not a big huge stiletto.

spring assisted knives as such are not illegal !

Laws regarding knives in MA are always clouded with rumor. In the state of Massachusetts there is no blade length limit for "regular" knives. As posted above the 1.5" limit is for switchblades. Spring assisted knives are NOT illegal. Remember that all "illegal" knives are only illegal for CARRY. there is no provision in the law that bans ownership of ANY knife in the home.

From MGL Ch. 269 Sec. 10

And don't even THINK about carrying a Zoobow. [laugh]

As I read the first sentence,(I couldn't figure out how to quote a quote [hmmm]) I interpret the length rule to apply to stilletos, dirks, double edge knives, switchblades or automatics, as well as ballistic knives, which are knives capable of propelling or firing the blade out of the handle. It says nothing about a common folding or fixed blade knife.

I know in some jurisdictions, Boston for instance, there are maximum length laws, but nowhere near the one and one half inch requirement. If I am wrong, please be gentle. [wink]

Bill

the 1.5" does not apply to normal folders

more misinterpretation of the laws

some towns do have ordinances (not a law) on blade length with plenty of exceptions for employment and such.

Many local jurisdictions have limitations on blade length, but nothing (except as noted above) statewide.

It is not clear to me that the local ordinances are enforceable and/or enforced once in the judicial system. Doesn't mean you can't be charged with carrying a knife over xx" though in that jurisdiction. Note that this information regarding not being enforceable or not enforced in the judicial system comes only from anecdotes of people who's kids were charged with possession (along with other charges often associated with being a teen) and the charges were pitched immediately by the judge. I would like to here from some of our more experienced posters on this topic.

Boston, springfield, worcester, and salem are the towns I know of that have knife ordinances. I called salem pd once and they said they don't enforce the ordinance unless they want to tack on a charge to some punk kid they grab for something else.

I carry a 3.5" emerson knife everywhere.

Oh yeah, concealed means concealed.

Another knife thread with almost as many opinions on the law as there have been replies to the OP.

As confusing as MA gun laws are, the 'knife law' might be the most broadly misunderstood of all.

I can't even count how many people have told me in discussions of knives, that knives with blades 'over 2 inches' are illegal to carry. They're even afraid to carry key chain knives and want to know whether they can be concealed or have to be carried visibly.

Unbelievable.

My very clear understanding is that folding knives are perfectly fine, even most assisted opening ones.

I have a knife on me everyday as do most friends and use them freely.

Of course that doesn't mean you won't be bothered or arrested by a cop who doesn't understand the law either or wants to pile on charges in a related beef.

I carry a 6" folder (13" overall open, here is a picture compared to a couple common knives) every day, and the very first thing my friends tell me when they see it is that it is illegal. The 2nd thing everyone says is that anything over the width of your palm is illegal. Unbelievable.

In boston anything over 2.5" is illegal to carry, period. In Worcester, the law is so ridiculously stupid its almost irrelevant to mention to any law abiding citizen. You can be charged with a $300 civil fine if you are caught carrying a knife with blade length over 2.5" during the commission of a crime. Oh, and of course if you have an LTC you are exempt. But don't count on having your LTC much longer after you are caught committing a crime.

The usual suspects are illegal to carry: Auto openers, butterfly knives, dirk knives, ninja stars, double edged blades, etc, etc.

Last edited:
I always carry at least one and sometimes as many as 5 knives on me. My #1 rule is don't carry anything more expensive than you are willing to toss off a bridge without batting an eye. Therefore I grab all kinds of folders I find that are cheap but useful.

My favorite is the plastic CIA knives. I have a few fixed and a few folders. They will indeed hold a utility edge good enough to cut clothesline or fishing line and will penetrate a pork loin the full length of the blade with ease. I carry one on my bike and one in my truck. Got one in my bike jacket and another in my vest. Hey, its just a letter opener after all!

I have a multi tool handy on my bike and truck and sometimes on my belt. No cop is gonna get all funny on one of them until you actually use it as a weapon.

I carry a 6" folder (13" overall open, here is a picture compared to a couple common knives) every day, and the very first thing my friends tell me when they see it is that it is illegal. The 2nd thing everyone says is that anything over the width of your palm is illegal. Unbelievable.

In boston anything over 2.5" is illegal to carry, period. In Worcester, the law is so ridiculously stupid its almost irrelevant to mention to any law abiding citizen. You can be charged with a $300 civil fine if you are caught carrying a knife with blade length over 2.5" during the commission of a crime. Oh, and of course if you have an LTC you are exempt. But don't count on having your LTC much longer after you are caught committing a crime.

The usual suspects are illegal to carry: Auto openers, butterfly knives, dirk knives, ninja stars, double edged blades, etc, etc.

I have a few different Kershaws. I believe they are "torsion assisted" and not operated by a spring. Semantics maybe, but I believe they're legal.

I always carry at least one and sometimes as many as 5 knives on me. My #1 rule is don't carry anything more expensive than you are willing to toss off a bridge without batting an eye. Therefore I grab all kinds of folders I find that are cheap but useful.

My favorite is the plastic CIA knives. I have a few fixed and a few folders. They will indeed hold a utility edge good enough to cut clothesline or fishing line and will penetrate a pork loin the full length of the blade with ease. I carry one on my bike and one in my truck. Got one in my bike jacket and another in my vest. Hey, its just a letter opener after all!

I have a multi tool handy on my bike and truck and sometimes on my belt. No cop is gonna get all funny on one of them until you actually use it as a weapon.

Umm, way to post that on a public forum that is frequented by LEO's among others... [rolleyes]

I was charged with possession of a dangerous weapon by the Newbury Police Dept.,they even confiscated my kitchen knifes from my home.The charges were dismissed...But what a pain in the arse

A couple of points:

1) Many law enforcement officers knowledge of the law are limited. They understand the laws as they have been told to them, not because they have actually read and interpreted the law themselves.
2) A law enforcement officer who believes you are doing something illegal will likely arrest you whether you are doing something illegal or not.
3) Massachussetts "dangerous weapons" law (quoted above) is very poorly written and (I believe) intentionally left to interpretation.

As several people have pointed out, we all _believe_ the "with a blade longer than 1.5" long" refers to the prior series of descriptions and is not a member of that description on its own. If you encounter an officer who believes that clause was intended to be a member of the list rather than a modifier applied to the list, hopefully the processecutor and/or judge will agree with the rest of us.

While we all believe the legislative intent of the law is clear, I refer to another piece of legislation where the language is clear, but interpritation has also been highly varied:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. (Puctuation and Capitalization based on copies distributed to the States for Ratification, as it varies from the copy passed by Congress)

Depsite the clarity of the statement ",the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" a lot of interpritation as been focused on the first half of the clause "A well regulated miltia"

Good news:

It is wild believed and generally enforced that the 1.5" limitation is a modifier of the prior listed items and not a member of the list itself.

Bad news:

You may have to make that argument in court.

In a lot of ways, I think of carrying a knife like carrying concealed. No one should know what's on you unless it's needed. Granted a knife has a lot more uses than a gun, but it's the same principle.

Is it really illegal to own and possess a knife with a blade longer than one and one half inches long?There was an article in the Cape Cod Times last week about police officers confiscating knives from youths on the Cape.The reporter quoted from Ma general laws Chapter269-10.Is this for real?

My emphasis in your quote but it explains why the article was inaccurate. It is the poorest edited newspaper (I use that term loosely) of any I have ever seen. The information in the article is incorrect.

Back
Top Bottom