KN95 Masks

cathouse01

NES Member
I know many of you are down on wearing masks. But for those of us in the high risk population who are, like me, belt and suspenders kind of folks you might want to consider stocking up on some KN95 masks while they are still available. The CDC has come out to recommend wearing multi-layer masks to help protect yourself from the new more contagious and potential more deadly UK variant of COVID-19. The most effective multi-layer masks are the N95 class, such as the KN95. You need to be sure you get a “real” KN95 and not some cheap knockoff. I can foresee that if this new UK variant really takes off, there will be another shortage of masks that will make the ammo shortage look small.

Since the vaccination process is proceeding a lot more slowly than I’d like and it may or may not be as effective against these new mutant strains, I think a KN95 mask when out in high risk ares (like a Walmart) is not a bad idea.

Right now prices have come down from their October highs, but that might not last if this UK variant (among others) hits hard. You don’t want to be caught short like you were with ammo.

Yea it's pretty rampant even out here in the country.
Last couple times I went to the supermarket I put on the 3M N95 mask.

Let the two mask panic begin...next month it will be two masks and ten jumping jacks, and so on, while they sit back and laugh at us all.

Hunter and Joe must have some serious stock in Chinese masks these days.

For those who are in a high risk group, I can’t fault you for being apprehensive, and I’m not picking on you, we all have to decide what’s best for us as individuals, but we haven’t gotten a straight line on this shit since it began, so I feel for you, but I’m not buying it, f*** Fauci and the horde of tyrants that propose to speak in our best interests.

I thought KN95's were knock offs? 🤔

Over-under of the number of masks required or new strains "discovered" before politicians start dangling from lamp posts?

Just as an FYI, KN95 are essentially unregulated Chinese knock offs of N95. The N95 has to meet stringent US govt guidelines, KN95 does not. Since the OP was concerned about not using knock-offs.
Exactly. Chinese knock-offs at that. The cure brought to you by the same people that gave you the disease. [laugh]

Here we go with the .gov speak.

"multi layer?" Weird, since the CDC and everyone else has been saying all year that masks need to be at least "2 layers." 2 layers of what didnt matter up until now, though.

N95's have ~3 layers with one of them being an actual filter (imagine that! a filter in PPE?!?!).

Why a KN95? Use a N95.

N95 arent the most effective either, but whatever at this point.

Just remember people, COVID-19 wasnt worth wearing an actual mask certified as PPE until now. [rofl]!!!! Now we're dealing with the REAL DEAL, gentlemen!!!!!1111111one

I thought KN95's were knock offs? 🤔

Over-under of the number of masks required or new strains "discovered" before politicians start dangling from lamp posts?
Actually, a “real” KN95 has to meet only slightly different standards than an N95. Problem is making sure that you get a mask that actually meets the KN95 standards.

Watch the video.

Here we go with the .gov speak.

"multi layer?" Weird, since the CDC and everyone else has been saying all year that masks need to be at least "2 layers." 2 layers of what didnt matter up until now, though.

N95's have ~3 layers with one of them being an actual filter (imagine that! a filter in PPE?!?!).

Why a KN95? Use a N95.

N95 arent the most effective either, but whatever at this point.

Just remember people, COVID-19 wasnt worth wearing an actual mask certified as PPE until now. [rofl]!!!! Now we're dealing with the REAL DEAL, gentlemen!!!!!1111111one
I would prefer to use an N95 myself, if they were available to the general public. Right now they are suppose to be reserved for health care workers.

Actually, a “real” KN95 has to meet only slightly different standards than an N95. Problem is making sure that you get a mask that actually meets the KN95 standards.

Watch the video.

The problem is not a single Chinese inspector gives a shit what the mask is actually made like if it's going to export. And a lot of factory owners have zero problems with mislabeling the masks.

Two things should not be combined. The words "standards" and "china."

Don't bother with KN95 masks unless you're buying the ones on the FDA's "Appendix A" list of FDA Emergency Use Authorized Chinese made respirators. Even then, be careful. Look for ones that have undergone testing by the NPPTL. Otherwise it's unlikely you're getting the 94% BFE advertised. We bought some from a vendor that subsequently tested at 75% and a state Attorney General came down on us like an anvil. We're currently embroiled in litigation with the vendor because the masks we got weren't the ones we agreed to purchase. My boss didn't pay much attention to it at the time despite my pleadings, so we got screwed as a result.

Another thing to watch for with N95 masks is that some companies are advertising their KN95 masks as N95 masks. Double check any information against the CDC's approved respirator list: CDC-NIOSH-NPPTL: Certified Equipment List Search and make sure the masks themselves have the proper markings: Use of NIOSH-Approved Respirators | NPPTL | NIOSH | CDC. Most importantly, buy from a reputable supplier. Way too many counterfeit masks on the market these days.

ETA: There are no restrictions on citizens using N95 masks. There are two different classes: industrial and medical/surgical. Only surgical N95s (ones with FDA 510k clearance) can be used in high risk surgical settings, but industrial N95s can be used in less risky scenarios and during regular patient visits. Many surgical N95 models, especially the 3M 1860 - the gold standard of surgical N95 masks - are being allocated to FEMA before they reach the traditional distribution channels (McKesson, Cardinal, Medline, etc). But there are millions of counterfeits out there and 3M has a team working full time on the fraud side. Other less in demand surgical N95s can be had almost anywhere. And the industrial N95s are relatively easy to get. They aren't as scarce as ammo, but they're marked up just like ammo is.

Last edited:
Amazon product ASIN B000FTEDMMView: https://www.amazon.com/3M-Facepiece-Respirator-6291-Particulate/dp/B000FTEDMM/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1XITN4856KJFG&dchild=1&keywords=p100+respirator&qid=1611615988&sprefix=p100+respirator%2Caps%2C728&sr=8-2

P100 half face respirator. Even medical masks are worthless because of the lack of a tight seal to your face.

Nothing short of a PAPR (positive air pressure respirator) is going to protect you from an airborne virus unless you get into military grade NBC gear. But a P100 will block any particles on exhaled droplets. The tight seal around your face and nose will protect better than any stupid paper or cloth mask without a seal ever will.

$20-30, used to be commonly available at hardware stores for dealing with paint/lead dust. Replacement filters are $8-12 a pair.

I bought a few dozen legit 3M N95 masks off Amazon yesterday. They're back, but not a lot of stock. Same with nitrile gloves.

Amazon product ASIN B000FTEDMMView: https://www.amazon.com/3M-Facepiece-Respirator-6291-Particulate/dp/B000FTEDMM/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1XITN4856KJFG&dchild=1&keywords=p100+respirator&qid=1611615988&sprefix=p100+respirator%2Caps%2C728&sr=8-2

P100 half face respirator. Even medical masks are worthless because of the lack of a tight seal to your face.

Nothing short of a PAPR is going to protect you from an airborne virus. But a P100 will block any particles on exhaled droplets.

$20-30, used to be commonly available at hardware stores for dealing with paint/lead dust. Replacement filters are $8-12 a pair.
P100 is going to be the end all for most of us minions when it comes to what a normal person can get their hands on. My old M40 promask was rated at P100 along with the other shit it was made to stop.
I was going with what I saw on the Amazon website when ordering some more masks.
Amazon said that? I have a pack of N95's you can buy if you really want a set without feeling guilty. They are from Home Depot, HDX brand. I'm not wearing the friggen things

If I was placing my faith in masks (I'm not), I certainly would NOT trust the kn95's floating around in this current environment.

Just to refresh what I said at the start of this thread, I know folks don’t like the whole mask idea. That’s fine. This wasn’t meant for them. Some of us do, based on our own research and judgement. My son-in-law is an NP and both my kids work in big Pharma. They information they have passed on has convinced me that this is a disease I do not want to catch. That’s my personal opinion (as Paul Harrell would say).

Back
Top Bottom