• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Kittery Trading Post

I'd like to get a tuckable IWB holster for my Sig Sauer Ps220, but nothing is open down here on Sunday. Has anyone ever been to Kittery Trading Post?

If you are looking for something that specific, I'd call first. Long trip for a "maybe" at best, unless you're just doing a general shopping trip.

Good idea. I have to head up in that general direction for mother's day anyway, and who can stop into a sporting goods store and not find SOMETHING to buy?

Has anyone ever been to Kittery Trading Post?

A very long time ago. If it is still like it was then, IT'S WORTH THE TRIP!

Even just to see that many guns in one place, all behaving themselves.

I made the trip, but didn't get what I wanted.

I called ahead and asked for an IWB "tuckable" holster. They said they had several in stock. I showed up, and they not only had none in stock, but when I explained what it was they said they don't exist. I had to show them online. The sales guy spent the next 5 minutes telling me what a stupid idea that was and how he had no idea why anyone would want one.

I probably won't be back there for awhile.

That was horrid. I've never had that type of response from them. Usually they're pretty decent. Ed and I go up there to get our black powder for reenacting (no one in the area carries what we use and since they have to pay big $$'s for shipping harzardous they don't usually stock it.) He should have offered to order it for you.

Lynne said:
That was horrid. I've never had that type of response from them. Usually they're pretty decent. Ed and I go up there to get our black powder for reenacting (no one in the area carries what we use and since they have to pay big $$'s for shipping harzardous they don't usually stock it.) He should have offered to order it for you.

I agree. Even if he had, I wouldn't have done it since I can do that online myself (which I did when I got home). I would have been fine with them making a mistake. The only thing that really got to me was making me feel like a moron for wanting a tuckable. Since I wear a suit every day, there aren't a lot of options open to me.

Martlet said:
The only thing that really got to me was making me feel like a moron for wanting a tuckable. Since I wear a suit every day, there aren't a lot of options open to me.

HE was the moron. I use a tuckable (as well as others) because I'm more comfortable with it and sometimes it's just easier to hide it that way. Although I have gotten comments - mostly from men - who are uncomfortable wearing them because of the muzzle pointing in a certain direction. [lol]

Lynne said:
Martlet said:
The only thing that really got to me was making me feel like a moron for wanting a tuckable. Since I wear a suit every day, there aren't a lot of options open to me.

HE was the moron. I use a tuckable (as well as others) because I'm more comfortable with it and sometimes it's just easier to hide it that way. Although I have gotten comments - mostly from men - who are uncomfortable wearing them because of the muzzle pointing in a certain direction. [lol]

What is a really good CCW holster for let's say, a Glock 19? I've got enough brains to not have an AD/ND, so I'm not so vain as to worry about blowing off body parts.

Nickle said:
What is a really good CCW holster for let's say, a Glock 19? I've got enough brains to not have an AD/ND, so I'm not so vain as to worry about blowing off body parts.

I've heard a number of good things about something called Thunderwear. It's sort of like a "inside the pants" fanny pack. The one that I use for my 9mm is soft fabric (I don't know the name of it - there isn't one on it and it was given to me), with a clip that attaches to my waist band. It's pretty comfie. And I don't think it's the worry of an AD - my husband says it's just the thought of the direction the gun's pointing in. :D

I've seen KTP going down hill as well. They seem to be catering to the john kerry gentleman shooters from MA lately. Nary a mil surp gun in the place but a bazillion long barreled goose guns. On the otherhand, their reloading equip prices seemed reasonable the last time I went.

Lynne, I bought Thunderwear from the mfr at one of the gun shows. Back then I was 30-40# lighter and carried a PPK/S. I certainly would never try it with a 1911! :?

I never liked the thing as it was slapping me frequently when I walked briskly. I found it very uncomfortable and so it sits in the "box of holsters".

It might work for you, as I suspect that one's anatomy has a lot to do with "is it comfortable" or not.

Tony, thanks but it is amazing what a jacket can cover! [twisted]

I still have ~30# to go in the gut. Working out a few nights/week is helping some.

LenS said:
Tony, thanks but it is amazing what a jacket can cover! [twisted]

I still have ~30# to go in the gut. Working out a few nights/week is helping some.

Jeez Len - the last time I saw you you certainly didn't look 30 to 40lbs overweight. Have you been pigging out since I last saw you? :D

Lynne said:
Jeez Len - the last time I saw you you certainly didn't look 30 to 40lbs overweight. Have you been pigging out since I last saw you? :D

You're a sweetheart Lynne!

Up until ~15 years ago, I could eat anything and it didn't stick. I weighed ~140# (5'8"). Then I hit a plateau where I guess everything after ~40 yrs old sticks to you. Another thing that didn't help was leaving DEC. 1.1million sq ft of office space in 13 buildings and I spent much of the day running stairs/walking (running off to a meeting was a literal term there). Working at home sucks for general exercise.

All the excess weight is in the gut (beer belly, but I don't really drink) and really needs to come off. Many in my family are adult-onset diabetics and I really need to avoid that problem . . . even though I love eating.

KTP

KTP is great to walk around and look at the nice toys but their prices are much higher than those of the southern NH shops. Reloading supplies, which plentiful, are priced much higher. Powder is 10 to 15% higher. Bullets are 20% higher. But the selection is great. I also have to add tax on to those prices. But I have always found the staff to be friendly and mostly helpful, at least in the reloading area.

Gun Shops

I use Riley's in Rt. 28, Hocksett, NH. The prices are decent and I can always get the powder and primers I mainly use. They have a nice selection of bullets, both jacketed and cast. They also have a law enforcement division that is open Monday to Friday that stocks a decend selection of duty and off-duty holsters.

What most people are unaware of is that KTP is one of the largest gun distributors in the area. That's why they have lots of stock and it is also why they have high prices. If they start undercutting their dealer customers, the dealers will scream, so they have to keep their prices high.

The wholesale business is down back, behind the retail store and I think it was called something like Shawmut Distributors (but that is from fuzzy memory 20+ years ago).

KTP

I guess when you put that much money into a building, large staff and all the other added extras, the prices have to go up somewhat. But I see them going up in most other shops too, so I guess the others will catch up in time.

In any case, I still love to stop in every so often and look around. I never leave empty handed.

[shock]

I've always had a good experience at KTP. The prices can be high at times, but I've also gotten a couple of good deals there especially on a trade-in. The large selection has also been great when trying to find a rifle or pistol that my wife was comfortable with.

Most of the mil-surp stuff they have is probably from trades. I've seen some nice Mausers and a few .22 govt. target rifles. I know people who have traded them Garands but from what I can tell those get snatched up very fast.

And it is fun just to go and look & fondle. :D Having lived in NJ until 10 years ago it's nice not having to show an FID card just to look at and handle a firearm.

CD

KTP

I know the feeling. I moved from NJ in 2003. My first time walking in and seeing all of those racks of rifles and shotguns out in the open was awe inspirering. NJ tries their best to put gun shops out of business..

LenS said:
What most people are unaware of is that KTP is one of the largest gun distributors in the area. That's why they have lots of stock and it is also why they have high prices. If they start undercutting their dealer customers, the dealers will scream, so they have to keep their prices high.

The wholesale business is down back, behind the retail store and I think it was called something like Shawmut Distributors (but that is from fuzzy memory 20+ years ago).

Hmm, I was under the understanding that Shawmut wasn't in existance any more. I can remember my old dealer buying alot of powder/supplies from them yrs back during a clearance/going out of business sale. I know I've heard NOTHING about this name since then. I've actually inquired about special ordering two different models and both, while at full MSRP, were a long wait time. Seems funny for a joint retailer/wholesaler to have such long lead times.
Either way, KTP does have a lg selection but lousey prices usually and not the greatest help in the world. A lot of overhead keeps prices at what they are. Very knowledgeable reloading dept though.

As for Riley's...i wouldn't reccommend that place to my worst enemy. Never had good service there just a "looking-down on me" attitude. 2 strikes - they're out!

BlkHawk, hmm you might be right about Shawmut being out of business. I am too far removed to know if they still exist or not. I only know that they once did exist and some 20 years ago I stopped in there for my local FFL (close friend) while shopping at KTP.

You can check KTP's list of used guns at www.ktpguns.com.

If you find something that catches your fancy; CALL and put it on hold (free for 5(?) days) until you can get in to look at it, check on MA legality, arrange a transfer dealer, etc. I've found out the hard way when checking the site on my lunchbreak, If I see something interesting, I need call & put a hold on it right then. A couple of times when I didn't do so, the gun was sold by the time I got off work & got over to them.

Attitudes

I never have gotten an attitude at Riley’s.

Just a short time ago was at the shop to pick up various reloading supplies and waited while the salesmen assisted a inexperienced reloader. He took at least 15 minutes to give explanations of powders, dies and other associated hardware. While he paused to ask me if I wanted help, I wasn’t in a hurry and found his exchange both refreshing and informative.

It turned out that several items I needed were out of stock. The salesmen offered to order them and informed me the next shipmen would be in stock in 14 days and they would call when it arrived.

While I find KTP well stocked (except recently for Sierra products) their pricing is higher than Riley’s and then the tax is added on top to that. However, I can’t resist stopping in to just wander around and always leave with something.

Maybe I’m just more tolerant having come from NJ where the dealer’s sales staff I frequented rarely displayed a positive attitude. :p

Whenever I was in the BOS area, a trip to Kittery was mandatory.
Too bad I couldn't buy any of the toys from the long racks, but I always walked out with some accessories.
Last time I've been there (before the expansion project) my daughter's comment was simply "WHOOOAAA" (she wasn't even 13 at that time).
Nowadays she claims we need a scoped AR15 clone; I keep on telling her to explain that to Mom :p

Back
Top Bottom