• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Kittery trading post

Are these guys out of their friggin' mind? Seriously, how is a 120 round 55 grain FMJ American Eagle even remotely to be considered a "value pack" at $79.99? And what about 168 gr, Black Hills .308 for $49.99? A Bushnell TRS for $100? An Eotech 512 for 500 and change? Who in his right mind pays those prices?

Unfortunatly they have jumped the shark.
A shame , 20 years ago they were my go to place.
The last time I went up they had Tula 7.62 x 39 for $9 a box [thinking]

Are these guys out of their friggin' mind? Seriously, how is a 120 round 55 grain FMJ American Eagle even remotely to be considered a "value pack" at $79.99? And what about 168 gr, Black Hills .308 for $49.99? A Bushnell TRS for $100? An Eotech 512 for 500 and change? Who in his right mind pays those prices?

About the only good thing I have to say about the place is that they do have an impressive amount of firearms... new and used.

Plus tax.

As others have said, I wouldn't go looking for ammo deals there, they are a far cry from where the market is now. They are a nice place to browse but not buy.

Its like Bass Pro, Where the 128 crowd goes to feel "outdoors-ie" ( No offense to the serious shooters inside the 128 hell hole )

248cc.gif

Oh man, this is so disappointing to read this thread. I was looking forward to the annual trip past Kittery trading post. Now I have to just keep the wallet locked in the car.

The prices on ammo are not a bargain at all......think they are still asking $148 for a spam can of 7.62X54r. However I found the price on muzzle loading ammo to be quite good actually........TC and Barnes sabots were priced at $21 for a 30 pack.....hell my LGS here in mass is getting $17 for 15 packs. I stocked up while I was there on front stuffer projos. Used guns..........tons of em.........my son and I can spend an hour just looking and talking about them! I did find a great price (my opinion) on an M38 mosin carbine a few months ago.......was like $280 and bore on this thing is mirror clean........shoots tight groups and has an actual m38 stock (not a M44 stock from the refurb process). Very happy with that gun.......but you have to look around for deals on used ones........but I do like that you get 30 days to try out ANY used gun and return it if you are not satisfied! Try that at the LGS!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh man, this is so disappointing to read this thread. I was looking forward to the annual trip past Kittery trading post. Now I have to just keep the wallet locked in the car.

There are good prices on certain things.......just gotta know what you are looking for and be knowledgeable. But yes the ammo prices are not that good.

Its like Bass Pro, Where the 128 crowd goes to feel "outdoors-ie" ( No offense to the serious shooters inside the 128 hell hole )

LOL. I have been doing it wrong by going to REI to feel outdoorsy. There is nothing that feels as good as buying $2000 worth of gear from China to spend one night at a campground every couple of years.

Same here. Last time I went there was about 20 yrs ago. I guess I'll save myself the trip.

Got another deal at KTP last weekend. Yeah some shit is over priced but used guns are still plentiful in great prices. Mrs. Whacko is planning on doing the "becoming an outdoor woman" (BOW) program guided deer hunt this year. She is all registered. I took her to the range sat. to start practicing with 20 gauge slugs. My son's 20G Mossberg 500 has the rifled barrel with cantilever scope mount......she had a hard time acquiring the target with the scope.....drover her nuts. So.....tried the bird barrel with rifled slugs......epic fail.......that barrel hits 9 inches high at 50 yards....not gonna work. Started looking on ebay/ bunbroker etc for a rifled barrel with iron sights. Auctions were tapping out at $130. New ones sell for $189. So......off to KTP......wife found a Mossberg 500 bantam in mossy oak camo..........with the bird barrel AND the rifled barrel with adjustable sights for $269. I checked it out good.......not a scratch on it.......barrel had some sabot plastic melted into the rifling down near the chamber (15 minutes with some rem x40 bore cleaner and a copper brush and it shines good as new). She bought it straight up. new they go for $459 at the big stores..........so for $80 more than the cost of the barrel alone (if I had gone that route) she got the whole shotgun to call her very own! Deals can be had at KTP! Now........off to the range this weekend so she can test out that slug bbl. Now my boy is jealous cuz his mossy 500 is blued steel and wood and momma has a camo one!

Last edited:
Over priced and with the 10% sales tax no bargens.
I did pick up a nice Beretta shooting sweater only 10 bucks over priced ,but I would have spent that on shipping anyway.

The ammo prices are stupid there, all the tourists go there cause its KTP. There are good deals to be had depending on what your looking for. When I was stationed at the shipyard up there, Id be in there 2-3 times a week just browsing out of boredom. I came across a 15in SSK Contender barrel in 375 JDJ, had the SSK brake, scope base with a TSOB mount and wearing a Leupold optic for 475.00 The barrel alone starts at 400ish, the brake, another 100, the TSOB mount and rings another 150, and the optic would be 200 or so. They just didn't know what they had, to them it was just another Contender barrel with a scope. I snatched that up real quick.

In the 1970's when I was at Pease AFB, KTP was a REAL Gun shop. I've gone there a few times over the years and haven't see much of any deals.

Gun Shops in NH can beat their prices on a regular basis and no sales or transfer fee's to deal with.

Now a days its just a Bass Pro lite...trying to be all things to all people!

Go to KTP for a visit if you want but you'll find few real deals!

The best deals are the cheap lobster dinners sold around the area!!!

I like the store, holster prices are insane. Ammo is on the high side, but JHP aren't far off ma prices, and they usually have everything excluding .22. Although they did have .22 this weekend no limit when i went by. Also, about 30-40% of the time they have pre-ban AR mags in the used bin for $10. If I made a single trip up, i would be dissapointed, but where I pass by there fairly often, I have gotten ammo there when there is none around in MA. But, for an extra 30-40 min in the car, you can order ammo online, and ship to Cabelas and pick it up in store. Obviously this is not of any importance to non-ma residents.

In the 1970's when I was at Pease AFB, KTP was a REAL Gun shop. I've gone there a few times over the years and haven't see much of any deals.

Gun Shops in NH can beat their prices on a regular basis and no sales or transfer fee's to deal with.

Now a days its just a Bass Pro lite...trying to be all things to all people!

Go to KTP for a visit if you want but you'll find few real deals!

The best deals are the cheap lobster dinners sold around the area!!!

Agreed. I recall when they had a huge Dillon display, back in the 1980s. But back then they had a wholesale division there "Summit Distributors" IIRC was a major supplier to gun shops in the Northeast. That's all gone now.

Definitely agree on the lobster dinners next door and others nearby.

Oh my bad 8% is still bad enough for me.

Reading failure. It's 8% on meals, 5.5% on goods. MA is 7% on meals almost everywhere (6.25 + .75 local option) and 6.25% on goods. NH is up there on meals too. The kicker in ME is sales tax applies to clothing.

Oh my bad 8% is still bad enough for me.

Wow......did you even click the link?

The Maine sales tax rate is 5.5%, and the maximum ME sales tax after local surtaxes is 5.5%.
  • Groceries and prescription drugs are exempt from the Maine sales tax
  • Counties and cities are not allowed to collect local sales taxes
  • Maine has no special sales tax jurisdictions with local sales taxes in addition to the state sales tax

Someone needs to learn to read.....or engage brain before putting hands in gear on the keyboard. Maine sales tax on fire arms is less than Mass. Yeah I know.....NH has no sales tax but I still find what I consider good deals on USED fire arms at KTP from time to time.....new ones are overpriced.....and the place is 25 minutes from my house. Yes.....their ammo prices are sky high though. So if you happen to be in the market for a used gun and it is not too far of a trip you can find some bargains.

Last edited:
Over priced and with the 10% sales tax no bargens.
I did pick up a nice Beretta shooting sweater only 10 bucks over priced ,but I would have spent that on shipping anyway.

Do tell me how getting a barely used entire shotgun with TWO barrels for $80 more than I would have paid for the rifled barrel alone is not a bargain?

Kittery is hit or miss. Sometimes you find a great deal other times there is nothing. If you looking for used guns dont forget to look behind the trade counter. I have found pretty good deals as little as 20 min after they aquired them.

Back
Top Bottom