Kittery trading post

I had some time today and needed to get out of dodge for a mental break .
I have been reading about ktp and wanted to check it out.
I am from ma so it was about an hours drive. That place is the ulitMate man cave.
It was strange , in a good way, how normal I could feel looking at guns and hunting stuff. I did not see any ammo deals today. Do they ever have goOd deals.

It can be hit or miss. I have a friend who is an ex FFL holder that goes there quite often and has scored a bunch of deals on things. I liked it better before the renovations, the floors creaked and had this old rustic feel. Now it feels like a cabellas or other big stores.

My dad been stocking up on the 1000rds boxes of the federal .233 it's like 380ish. When I was there with him two weekends ago it was to the left when you walk in no sign saying the price or what it was you'll have to read the box. It was next to the 150 (i mite be off on round count) rounds of the hornady .223 in the plastic ammo box. The hornady was the same price in store as I've seen it online. Shipping vs gas.

The federal (brass) for 380$ is about 40$ more then the best deal I could find online from the one site i know that would ship to mass , for brass .223. Not sure what shipping would cost so it's kinda a toss up cost of shipping vs another reason to go to kitty then to just buy the ammo if that makes sense.

Im not sure if ktp post ammo prices online but if they do , and you know a web site online that will ship to mass do the math . Shipping vs gas/price difference at ktp.... And other reasons to go to ktp.

They have good deal once in awhile, not too often. Upstairs (where the guns are) they have a "sale table", which contains ALL sorts of "stuff" at real good prices...ammo, reloading dies, press parts, shotgun hulls, opened packages or return items, etc. I always check the "sale table".

Screw old wooden floors. I bought guns there 40 years ago when I was stationed right across the border in NH. I like the way the place is MUCH bigger now, with a LOT more stuff.

Just think, they do not even have a really big city anywhere close. Our pols do such a great job of creating jobs and businesses in this state, don't they? Places like that should be right here!

I sometimes wonder if the small gunshops like the laws just the way they are.....keeps out any big competition. I have absolutely no evidence to support that, but I do think about it.

I do like KTP......but have never shopped their for fire arms.....thier ice fishing section is AMAZING when it is in season! Frost coming Saturday night......already got me thinking about hard water fishing season!!!!

I was there last week with a friend who Has never been......stopped by the used magazines shelves and scored on 5 per ban AR mags for 10 bucks each- good deal if you are from MA.

Also stopped by 4 Seasons on the way home.

I had some time today and needed to get out of dodge for a mental break .
I have been reading about ktp and wanted to check it out.
I am from ma so it was about an hours drive. That place is the ulitMate man cave.
It was strange , in a good way, how normal I could feel looking at guns and hunting stuff. I did not see any ammo deals today. Do they ever have goOd deals.

Never got lucky there except for reloading supplies. Rileys is the place I go for ammo if I'm up north.

When you purchase a firearm - long gun - just them you would like for it to me a new hampshire transaction and they will drive it over to portsmouth for you - you meet them at a small office and go over some paper work and you get the firearm tax free.

I've always liked ktp. I've bought several handguns there for myself and an ex. I like that they have a place setup right over the border for transfers. Ammo deals? As others have said, certainly hit or miss. I've been there and not been able to find either .357 or .45 hollow points in stock. FMJ is a lot easier. Never bought a long gun there, so I don't know what the prices are like. They do have some nice 12 guages though.

I've been there many times and the gun room freaks me out because there is 6 guys racking shot guns and some guy with a rifle yelling "say hello to my little friend" bunch of amateurs.

Ktp used to be one of the few places to find powder in larger containers and also on sale. I scored a couple 12 pound kegs of IMR powder once on closeout for $99 ea. Recently though the guys at the ammo/reloading counter have had a really shitty attitude. One guy asked WTF would anyone need 1000 primers at a time for? I told him I wanted 15,000 and I think he shit himself. They were on a few hundred at a time limit which made the trip a waste of time.

Only been once when I picked up a gen2 G22 after browsing their online used gun inventory (great system btw). Asking price was o.k. (not great), so I asked if they were willing to negotiate and right off the bat they knocked off $50, which in terms of the used Glock made a big difference. Plus it came with a preban mag and case. It's a bit of a drive for me but I'd like to make it back there again soon.

...One guy asked WTF would anyone need 1000 primers at a time for?...

I know a lot of guys that reload...NOBODY buys less than 1000 primers at a time...that is why they are in a box of 1000. [wink] Why would a saleperson give you a hard time for spending your hard-earned dollars in their store? Unless there is a shortage and they want to keep a limit on each purchase...which is not the case right now, primers are plentiful. They should "encourage" you to buy all the damn primers in the store...spend ALL of your money. I thought the purpose of a saleperson is to "SELL" merchandise.

images

I like KTP, great selection and you get to fondle a lot of stuff all under one roof. I find the ammo selection to be lack luster, and while they occasionally have OK deals I wouldn't ever make a special trip there... us free staters can still mail order way cheaper, and Riley's would be cheaper if you're making the trip from MA.

Bought the Wifes 10/22 there, they had a limited edition pink wood grain... service was excellent. Got some hard to find low-cap mags when I lived in MA too.

I'll go there a few times a year. The more educated a shopper I become the less gun related stuff I buy from them.

But it is a Good Store. I always give them money for something , and enjoy myself.
Then I go to Bob's for lunch.

I love KTP, maybe not the best prices but the best dam shop 1/2 hour from my house by any means.
I shop there a couple times a year or when I just feel like browsing a decent selection I will take the trip.

The prices on guns aren't the greatest and the ammo prices are fairly average with some good deals every once in while (last time I was there I bought the American Eagle brick of .22 for $18 I think). I have bought a couple of long guns there over the years, too.

I still stop almost every time I go by on my way to Damariscotta - if for nothing else than it is the biggest gun store I have access to on a regular basis and it's fun.

I go every year when we vacation in Kennebunkport. I love KTP, I've learned to stay away from the gun section though. Never found the employees behind the gun counter to be very helpful.

Then again, I can't say as I blame them. For every enthusiast and serious buyer, they probably have 10 gawkers.

I love the store, and we always stop there whenever we are traveling near Kittery, but as others have said the prices are not really a deal, as most ammo I buy a few bucks cheaper per box in my own town at a local gun store. It is definitely a cool "man store" though, and fortunately there is enough clothes and shoes to keep the wife, and kids busy while I browse upstairs.

Last edited:
I didn't think the place was all that great IMHO. There was a lot of stuff there, most of which was overpriced.

It's worth going somewhere else first. I found my Kimber at Riley's cheaper, buy my ex's Model 60 was cheaper at ktp. The total price difference was worth a few miles out of the way. Now when I want an AK then I'll probably go to MFL. Unless somebody has a better deal. I haven't seen crap around here. Must be too close to Maryland.

KTP new stuff is generally overpriced. There are some great deals in the used racks and you can talk down price a bit. I just bought a mint guide gun up there for a great price. But its hit or miss.

Pretty good selection but a lot of it overpriced for the city slickers. They generally give an Ok trade if you want store credit on trades.

I used to go to bobs clam hut but holy shit that place is expensive. My local seafood place is half the price and better quality/more food.

What I like about ktp.. In the case of a used long gun I can't find anywhere I can usally find it there! Often the same with new.... Prices are not stellar but they aren't horrible either

Back
Top Bottom