• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Kittery trading Post. Wish I lived in Maine, can I transfer a pistol here to Mass.?

If i found a cool gun that is obviously pre ban.( like an old ruger P89 or smith and wesson 39/59 series.)
can i transfer it from Kittery trading post to my local gun shop in mass.? Figuring that if it is pre 1994...shouldn't it be legal or did it have to be registered in mass. first?
Wish i lived in maine!

Can't hurt to ask... It's up to the dealer if he/she wants to do the tranfers and if Kittery wants to sent it to a MA dealer.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/37553-MA-Handgun-Compliance-Q-A-Thread-(new)

In the most basic terms, there are really FIVE categories of MA handgun compliance at the dealer level:

1. Handgun is currently "MA compliant" on EOPS roster and AG's regs. EG- the stuff you see new in most MA gun stores.... S+W M+P, SW1911s, etc, etc, etc... law is must be on roster plus be (somehow) compliant with the AG's insane regulations.

2. Handgun is currently listed on new EOPS Target Roster (see below for current URL)

3. Pre 98 documented - (eg, owner has paperwork showing it was owned/registered in MA before 10/21/98) = completely exempt from AG and EOPS regs. Doesn't matter what the handgun is, etc, as long as that paperwork is there. Also doesn't matter WHERE the handgun currently is either, as long as the paperwork is there. I once had a friend of mine that moved out of MA but had "MA guns" with paperwork intact. He could still transfer them back in the state to a new MA owner, because they were "registered and in the state on/before 10/21/98".

4. Pre 98 on EOPS roster but AG exempt - handgun is on EOPS roster and exempted from AG's regs, by virtue of having been manufactured before 10/21/98. Example here is a typical Glock made before 10/21/98.

5. handgun is on EOPS roster but buyer is a LEO. This situation exempts the dealer from the AG's regs because the customer is a LEO. In this case it doesn't matter when the gun was made, only that the gun was tested and put on the roster.

Edit: Some readers may be wondering what any guns that don't fit into these categories are... the answer is. they're not "MA compliant" by either the AG''s or EOPS regs, or only by EOPS and not the AG's regs... but it should be noted that "MA compliance" is an issue of dealer transfers and has nothing to do with individual possession or private sale. EG- mere possession of a noncompliant handgun, is NOT a criminal offense. This can't be stated enough, as many in MA improperly use terms like "illegal in MA" or "banned in MA" to describe a handgun which a dealer cannot sell or transfer.

Basically you are asking the wrong people. First ask kittery if they will ship to ma. Then ask your LGS if they will accept and transfer.

Basically you are asking the wrong people. First ask kittery if they will ship to ma. Then ask your LGS if they will accept and transfer.

I guess what I mean is has anyone done this recently?
I will ask KTP next time I'm there, but I am sure I will find out here first if it's ever been done

If i found a cool gun that is obviously pre ban.( like an old ruger P89 or smith and wesson 39/59 series.)
can i transfer it from Kittery trading post to my local gun shop in mass.? Figuring that if it is pre 1994...shouldn't it be legal or did it have to be registered in mass. first?
By law, it needs that damned Massachusetts pedigree if it is pre-list. But KTP says they have stopped all gun sales to/through MA FFLs anyway... a double whammie. I keep reading here endlessly how it's all just a matter of finding the "right" MA FFL, but you sure can't prove that notion by my experience. [thinking]

There is no such thing as "preban pistols".

Here is the info about older pistols

Pre 98 on EOPS roster but AG exempt - handgun is on EOPS roster and exempted from AG's regs, by virtue of having been manufactured before 10/21/98. Example here is a typical Glock made before 10/21/98.

Last time I was there (September 2014) they were telling people they aren't transferring to MA, period.

Things may have changed.

Wish i lived in maine!

None of it matters what it actually is or what its status is.

What actually matters if a given MA FFL will inbound it for you and whether or not the remote (KTP) will send it to them. Those are issues you have to work out with the 2 dealers involved and have almost nothing to do with the actual law.

ETA: I bet what Beansie said applies though, not surprised if the big remotes don't want to send stuff into MA. Too much hassle for them for too little
profit, too high of a chance of a rejected transfer caused by retards who don't know what they're doing facilitating or setting up transfers.

-Mike

at KTP this afternoon after driving back from Kennebunk.

man i forgot how incredibly overpriced KTP is. $25 for crap-ass box of 45acp FMJ? over $30 for 20 rounds of 45acp JHP? $200 for a used mossberg 500 rifled barrel when brand new ones are $150? Sorry but i see absolutely no purpose for this store. Walking up and down the aisles looking at terribly overpriced used gear, the truth finally hit me like a ton bricks: KTP is a fudd shop.

i've made purchases there before but given the direction they are taking I am done even going in that place.

i would rather give my $ to one of the many overpriced MA dealers [smile]

Last edited:

man i forgot how incredibly overpriced KTP is. $25 for crap-ass box of 45acp FMJ? over $30 for 20 rounds of 45acp JHP? $200 for a used mossberg 500 rifled barrel when brand new ones are $150? Sorry but i see absolutely no purpose for this store. Walking up and down the aisles looking at terribly overpriced used gear, the truth finally hit me like a ton bricks: KTP is a fudd shop.

i've made purchases there before but given the direction they are taking I am done even going in that place.
You can finds some decent stuff in the used gun/ magazine / reloading section. But new stuff tends to be overpriced.

i would rather give my $ to one of the many overpriced MA dealers [smile]

Only 2 good things about KTP:
1. Real black powder.
2. Cheaper clothing such as North Face.

Used stuff that is not in high demand is priced well. I don't even waste my time looking at handguns.

The handgun grip and holster selection sucks.

It was only a few years ago that I purchased a S&W .500 from them and had it shipped to an FFL in MA.

I guess what I mean is has anyone done this recently?
I will ask KTP next time I'm there, but I am sure I will find out here first if it's ever been done

Last time I was up to KTP. They wouldn't even bother to let me look at a handgun. That was 2005
They asked for a driver's license....once the read Mass they told me flat out. "We do sell not any handguns to Massachusetts residents or ship them to MA dealers, you would only be wasting my time" He told me they would sell me bolt action rifles and shotguns. I was there to by my trap gun.

I found a really old pre ban Ruger Mini14 mag for $20 in the used magazine bin. I also know people who have scored some good deals on milsurps there.

about 9 months ago I had a Ruger Bearcat transferred from KTP to MA dealer. they're picky, but they'll check MA compliance and ship to accepting FFL,

and, Bob's seafood is next door!

most stuff at KTP ain't cheap, however

about 9 months ago I had a Ruger Bearcat transferred from KTP to MA dealer. they're picky, but they'll check MA compliance and ship to accepting FFL,

and, Bob's seafood is next door!

most stuff at KTP ain't cheap, however

So maybe they figured out they where seeing money walk.
My Dad would always stop in when ever we where with in 30 miles of KTP.
He called it the dumping ground. Although he would find deals on stuff he wanted almost every trip.
He would dump more used gear there than buying.

P89s are on the list if I remember correctly

None of this actually matters. What actually matters is whether or not you have a dealer that can inbound it for you or not, and whether KTP is willing to play ball or not. If the answer is "no" to either of these things, then the whole thing is a non starter. Even if it is legal. Worrying about handgun compliance is a pointless exercise because the behavior of dealers is not very consistent.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom