• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Kittery Trading Post Re-Opens Monday April 6th!!

Lol where does it say that in US code?
What about YOUR STATE law??? FA-10 form?? 10 Days to Legally Register your Out-of-State Purchase? You buy it as a "Maine Resident" or a "NH Resident" with your Property tax bill, and THEN intentionally bring it into another State and STORE it there?? Ohh C'mon now.....You have 10 DAYS to Register it... RIGHT? ........... Do it at your OWN Peril then... I'm not gonna slit hairs on this one....
From your Massachusetts State Police Firearms Registration... https://mircs.chs.state.ma.us/fa10/action/home?app_context=home&app_action=presentTrans

What about YOUR STATE law??? FA-10 form?? 10 Days to Legally Register your Out-of-State Purchase? You buy it as a "Maine Resident" or a "NH Resident" with your Property tax bill, and THEN intentionally bring it into another State and STORE it there?? Ohh C'mon now.....You have 10 DAYS to Register it... RIGHT? ........... Do it at your OWN Peril then... I'm not gonna slit hairs on this one....
From your Massachusetts State Police Firearms Registration... https://mircs.chs.state.ma.us/fa10/action/home?app_context=home&app_action=presentTrans

That is not what I asked. My question has nothing to do with MA bullshit.

-Mike

Word of friendly advice: interplay of Federal and state law is a pretty complex area, especially when there's multiple states involved. If a customer points out a valid legal argument backed up by a cite to a statute, or points out the absence of a requirement and the statute says one thing contrary to what you're doing, its better to talk to someone like Kittery's in-house counsel or external counsel than it is to hash these issues out on a public gun forum.

I understand the deal with cross-border handgun sales to NH residents, but what would be the advantage to doing that with long guns ???
The seller does not have to make a determination of it would be lawful for the buyer to purchase the long gun in his/her home state.

Lol where does it say that in US code?
You State laws require a FA10 form filled out right? 10 Days to do it Right??? Is the gun coming into your State for a shoot? Gun Show, Shooting Event?
I'll throw this at you..... You're a Mass Resident... Own Property in NH or Maine..... NO LTC or FID...... but you're able to buy with your Property Tax bill...... You BUY it as a ME/NH/VT "Resident" BUT you INTENTIONALLY take it BACK to Mass (where you're required to have a FID or LTC to LEGALLY own it) who and what Laws (State and/or Federal) have YOU broken??? I'll leave it right there.... You're at your own Peril at this point...

Word of friendly advice: interplay of Federal and state law is a pretty complex area, especially when there's multiple states involved. If a customer points out a valid legal argument backed up by a cite to a statute, or points out the absence of a requirement and the statute says one thing contrary to what you're doing, its better to talk to someone like Kittery's in-house counsel or external counsel than it is to hash these issues out on a public gun forum.
I understand it completely... He asked or stated the question... It's MORE of a Answer for a Lawyer, which I am not...What anybody does after they make a Purchase, is they're decision. I'll leave it right there, and ask we don't banter it around any more...
It was stated earlier, "Just go up to the Cashier, and pay for it, Easy Peasy" which is Erroneous Information. I was beginning to Clarify it, that's all, and it got headed down another avenue.

The seller does not have to make a determination of it would be lawful for the buyer to purchase the long gun in his/her home state.

My question wasn't about legality, I asked what the advantage would be, which was answered.
It's devised so NH residents can beat paying the Maine sales tax on a long gun purchase.

My question wasn't about legality, I asked what the advantage would be, which was answered.
It's devised so NH residents can beat paying the Maine sales tax on a long gun purchase.
Removing the need to make the legality determination is an advantage, however small, for the vendor. It is not the only advantage.

That is not what I asked. My question has nothing to do with MA bullshit.

-Mike
Mike. I'm not a Lawyer, therefore I can't answer it..... Buy something as a dual Resident, and what YOU do with it, is you're own decision. I'm NOT gonna discuss it any more ok?
If you wanna get around your BS Massachusetts Laws, then do it. Thank you..

You STILL need to do the 4473 Background check for a LONG GUN there... ALL handguns must be shipped to a FFL in another State (for NH Residents buying a Handgun, we have the Transfer Station down the road which is our NH FFL) ....Per GCA act of 1968... Black Powder guns don't need a 4473...
But Black powder guns still require to check a gun license. A little ridiculous.

My dad was there to buy a musket and I went along for the ride. Good thing I was there, they wouldnt sell him an 1850 musket. I had to show my license and fill out a form.

But, no background check required.

On the plus side, they did lower the price a little.

But Black powder guns still require to check a gun license. A little ridiculous.

My dad was there to buy a musket and I went along for the ride. Good thing I was there, they wouldnt sell him an 1850 musket. I had to show my license and fill out a form.

But, no background check required.
NO, Drivers' License is all we need... ..Plus the Store does a Safety Sheet, so the Darwins that don't know how to operate the rifle or Black Powder revolver can understand how it's used... NO 4473 or Background check.... I'm sure you know that ....

NO, Drivers' License is all we need... ..Plus the Store does a Safety Sheet, so the Darwins that don't know how to operate the rifle or Black Powder revolver can understand how it's used... NO 4473 or Background check.... I'm sure you know that ....
Man, this was like 2 months ago. They wouldnt take his drivers license. I had to show my LTC and fill out that stupid form.

The guy was some manager, looked around mid 40s, not some new kid fresh out of school. He was a nice guy, polite, was not a d*ck.

Maybe train your staff better.

If I remember correctly it was an 1853 Enfield with a bayonet. Purchased around January or early Feb. If you want to check the records (in pretty sure you dont sell many of those), you will see my LTC number on the paperwork.

It’s nice to know KTP will sell to property owners with proof of ownership.
Property tax bill is proof. Are any other state documents allowed? I ask because there is a store that says it must be a current year document. As property taxes are sent out in September 2019 that is not in our current year.

Removing the need to make the legality determination is an advantage, however small, for the vendor. It is not the only advantage.

What legality determination is needed ???
If a NH resident buys a long gun from KTP, they still have to fill out a 4473 and pass the same NICS check whether they take delivery from the Maine store or their NH FFL's location. Either way, it's perfectly legal. The advantage of taking delivery in NH is 100% for the NH resident buyer, because it gives him a legal way to avoid paying Maine sales tax. It's really a disadvantage to KTP because they have to pay someone to deliver the gun to the NH FFL's location.

What legality determination is needed ???
If a NH resident buys a long gun from KTP, they still have to fill out a 4473 and pass the same NICS check whether they take delivery from the Maine store or their NH FFL's location. Either way, it's perfectly legal. The advantage of taking delivery in NH is 100% for the NH resident buyer, because it gives him a legal way to avoid paying Maine sales tax. It's really a disadvantage to KTP because they have to pay someone to deliver the gun to the NH FFL's location.
I do like that service from KTP. They are not required to do it, but they do it.

Man, this was like 2 months ago. They wouldnt take his drivers license. I had to show my LTC and fill out that stupid form.

The guy was some manager, looked around mid 40s, not some new kid fresh out of school. He was a nice guy, polite, was not a d*ck.

Maybe train your staff better.

If I remember correctly it was an 1853 Enfield with a bayonet. Purchased around January or early Feb. If you want to check the records (in pretty sure you dont sell many of those), you will see my LTC number on the paperwork.
If it were me, your dad would have never had a problem..... Was it a "Trapdoor" gun? If so, it is capable of firing a Metallic Ctg,(45-70) and that may have been the sticking point...

If it were me, your dad would have never had a problem..... Was it a "Trapdoor" gun? If so, it is capable of firing a Metallic Ctg,(45-70) and that may have been the sticking point...

No, he said it was a P53 Enfield, which is a muzzleloading-only .58 caliber rifled musket.

Mike. I'm not a Lawyer, therefore I can't answer it..... Buy something as a dual Resident, and what YOU do with it, is you're own decision. I'm NOT gonna discuss it any more ok?
If you wanna get around your BS Massachusetts Laws, then do it. Thank you..
Lol again, not talking MA law. You made a claim that isn't supported by federal law in any way shape or form. If I'm an NH resident there's no reason I can't buy a handgun in NH and immediately bring it to my vacation home in MA, ME or wherever it might be. (Or insert any number of 9000 other lawful scenarios).

No, it wasnt a trapdoor.

I did buy a trapdoor there, also around January and had to fill the paperwork and get a background check. I even posted about that on a thread.

Although you shouldn't require that for a trapdoor, the place was empty and I had nothing better to do so I didnt care. I still thought it was ridiculous, but figured it was a big business trying to cover their butts.

I UNDERSTAND...... it's Black Powder... we do a safety sheet only... NO 4473 form....... If it were me, there would have Never been a issue.......
It was the safety sheet. But they wouldn't allow my dad to fill it out without presenting an LTC. It's agood thing I was there and used my LTC.

Since I had to present my LTC, but the musket was for my dad, I did tell the guy he just allowed a straw purchase. Just to f*ck with him.

Last edited:
FFL to FFL is never a issue. ....... The store also sells to C&R holders, for C&R items ONLY....( Guns made 50+ yrs ago and older) E Mail your FFL to [email protected] or bring it with you, and we will keep it on File, should you want to make a purchase.

My buddy is a NH 01-SOT. We were up at that other big gunstore in Scarborough [wink] when we stumbled across an HK91 with about $1K of accessories which was priced as if it were the rifle alone. He gave them his license and he was offered the option of cash & carry including ME sales tax or they'd ship it to his NH premises with shipping cost added w/o tax. No brainer for that large a purchase.

Is that your policy with FFLs, too? Thanks.

Lol again, not talking MA law. You made a claim that isn't supported by federal law in any way shape or form. If I'm an NH resident there's no reason I can't buy a handgun in NH and immediately bring it to my vacation home in MA, ME or wherever it might be. (Or insert any number of 9000 other lawful scenarios).
Mike, so what is the point of this argument??? People are going to do whatever the screw they want.... Like I said, the Peril is upon them.....I posted info about the store opening, questions were asked, I TRIED to help... Seems like It's a futile effort ......

My buddy is a NH 01-SOT. We were up at that other big gunstore in Scarborough [wink] when we stumbled across an HK91 with about $1K of accessories which was priced as if it were the rifle alone. He gave them his license and he was offered the option of cash & carry including ME sales tax or they'd ship it to his NH premises with shipping cost added w/o tax. No brainer for that large a purchase.

Is that your policy with FFLs, too? Thanks.
FFLs shouldn't be paying "Sales Tax" anywhere..... We don't do that....FFL to FFL....No Tax.....A FFL can hand the Stre a Signed Copy of his/her FFL and walk out the door with it.... If Cabella's did that, your FFL friend got screwed....Goes from their Disposition book, to his Acquisition book... Was the rifle for you? if so, why didn't you just do a 4473?

Mike, so what is the point of this argument??? People are going to do whatever the screw they want.... Like I said, the Peril is upon them.....I posted info about the store opening, questions were asked, I TRIED to help... Seems like It's a futile effort ......
The point is telling people lies or inaccurate info about the laws helps nobody.

Was the rifle for you? if so, why didn't you just do a 4473?

No, he had a good customer looking for one and figured he'd make his nickel selling the accessories separately. Not surprised about the FFL->FFL screwup. He was dealing with one of the "librarians" who had missed the value of the accessories.

You STILL need to do the 4473 Background check for a LONG GUN there... ALL handguns must be shipped to a FFL in another State (for NH Residents buying a Handgun, we have the Transfer Station down the road which is our NH FFL) ....Per GCA act of 1968... Black Powder guns don't need a 4473...

Hi Bob, I am a Ma resident and own a year round house in Howland Me and also register my Atv there. I also have a Maine non resident permit to carry concealed handgun. I stay there 16-20 weeks. Question, can I purchase a handgun at KTP and leave it at that location?

Back
Top Bottom