kits kits kits

SKS Ray

NES Member
Yes I'm still dragging my feet on getting a build going. I've looked at several diferent AK kits, even FAL kits over the past few days. The recent violence here and the threat of new tougher gun laws is making me think adding to my semi auto military rifle collection will be next to impossible. Buying whole rifles say for example an FAL or AK can cost around $800 a piece for something nice, and I just don't have the cash to get caught up in a buying/collecting frenzy right now. Hence the thought of grabbing some kits and receivers comes to mind.
I realize theres much more to buidling a semi auto than say restoring an old Mauser or even SKS thats been "upgraded" by Bubba. Then I look at the machining on my Romanian SAR1 and get this image of some poor factory worker in a third world country pounding away at crude metal parts with a 3 pound hammer and some blocks of wood.[hmmm] I mean damn... I'm an auto body man. I repair sheet metal and fit parts all day long and have been doing it for over 15 years. So why does the idea of a kit build seem challenging to me?
Anyone else dragging their feet on getting into building?

A nice AK might be a contradiction of terms. [laugh]
Keep your eyes open for a VEPR, they actually are nice.
I think I paid about $600 for my .308 VEPR, new.

Quit dragging yer feet and just do it!

It's a major PITA, it's time consuming, it can be expensive compared to just buying a functional one, it's frustrating, mistakes will be made (marriages will be tested), your bank account will be ruined, you'll have left-over parts that you'll never use, you'll waste even more time online reading and asking questions on various "Build It Yourself" forums, you may or may not get yourself a few self-inflicted minor injuries (nothing that a Band-Aid or eye patch couldn't take care of), you'll have a collection of tools
that you'll never use again, your house/apt will smell like a Monsanto plant for a wee bit, every few hours you'll be checking the status of your UPS delivery for a $5.00 spring that you lost or wasn't included in the parts kit... did i miss anything? [wink]

But... I love it! [smile]

Coincidently I got my first Imbel FAL parts kit delivered today.

I've learned more about the workings of an FAL in the past couple of days than I ever would have learned if I simply bought one off the shelf... and I've barely begun to get my ducks in order as far as putting the damn thing together.

Same goes for my AR-15 and AK-47 builds.

FWIW, I have at least 5 other projects in mind... if and when the parts kits are available and at a decent price.

I think if we are going to be getting some BAD laws with "evil" weapons, you might just want to concentrate on getting your receivers now, and getting them registered. You can always build them later on...

BTW, I picked up my FAL used for $430! You just have to keep a close watch for them!

I wouldn't wait much longer, kits are getting scarcer by the day.
The $150 Imbel kits are gone. The Romy G kits are almost all gone, and prices are beginning to reflect this already.
keep in mind the Importation of these kits ended almost a year ago, when these last few kits are gone, you will be stuck paying top dollar to guy's that have been hoarding kits since the barrel ban went into effect. (Like Me LOL)

I know of guys who bought 20-30 Romy Gs back when they were selling grade As for $89. They are just sitting on them waiting for the kits to dry up.
At that time there will be a bunch available on the secondary market at $200

YEa I got my 3 romy aks and the Fal kits at the right time. I think Entreprise still may have some Metric fal kits. Getting recievers for the fal is the pain.

YEa I got my 3 romy aks and the Fal kits at the right time. I think Entreprise still may have some Metric fal kits. Getting recievers for the fal is the pain.

I contacted DSI/NODAK about being put on their waiting list... no problem except that there's 965 names ahead of me (I have no idea how many have already been shipped out). [thinking]

The guns you are looking at building (FAL and AK) are actually pretty easy. If you've got the mechanical background you say you do it won't be that hard for you. The FAL is the easiest, the AK isn't much harder. I've built several of both, and the only problem is that you keep wanting to build more. I moved on to a 1919A4, now I'm into a Bren build, with an MG-42 and Vickers to follow. It never ends! If you have any questions about it, let me know and I'll be happy to help.

http://www.ak-47.org/page3.html The first Grade "A" combo about 3 months ago. I pick at it now and then.

Almost done. The 80% reciever has been a blast to work on. Been using just a drill press and a dremmel. I am going to verify that it fires (heart thumping), then I got a special finish for this guy!

I don't care what anyone says, but tearing off the rivets and cleaning the crap up is harder then setting the trunion's.

Back
Top Bottom