• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Kit for Reloading .22 Long Rifle

They sell the kit, the resizing die, and the priming compound which is shipped to you as "separate, safely inert chemicals—which they call “Prime-All”—that become pressure sensitive only after the handloader mixes them together at the loading bench"

I don't know if i'd go whole-hog loading all my own .22s at this point in time, but it might be satisfying to have one of these stashed away as an insurance policy. I betcha back in 2013 these would have been flying off the shelves. the priming compound is $19.95 and supposedly is enough to reload 2,000 rounds.

http://www.ssusa.org/articles/2015/8/18/reloading-22-long-rifle-a-new-option-for-competitors/

http://22lrreloader.com/

lead-photo-22.jpg

I might buy something like this for fun. It's a challenge. I'd enjoy knowing I refilled a .22 LR round.

Practically speaking... not so much. I shoot too damn much of this stuff to make it by hand.

Now I do reload 9mm, .45, .380, .223 and .308 and a few cartridges to be named later. I can name a dozen reasons why, but mostly because I enjoy it, and I can make it when I need it. I've not been hurt when unable to buy ammo.

Regarding .22, not long ago I bought 10K rounds at somewhat reasonable prices. And if prices improve I'll buy another 10K. I'd rather have it than need it.

Shooting makes me happy and I'll gladly invest in my happiness. But not at the expense of my time, which is at a premium.

Please do let us know if this works out for you, though. I am fascinated by the challenge.

I might buy something like this for fun. It's a challenge. I'd enjoy knowing I refilled a .22 LR round.

Practically speaking... not so much. I shoot too damn much of this stuff to make it by hand.

Now I do reload 9mm, .45, .380, .223 and .308 and a few cartridges to be named later. I can name a dozen reasons why, but mostly because I enjoy it, and I can make it when I need it. I've not been hurt when unable to buy ammo.

Regarding .22, not long ago I bought 10K rounds at somewhat reasonable prices. And if prices improve I'll buy another 10K. I'd rather have it than need it.

Shooting makes me happy and I'll gladly invest in my happiness. But not at the expense of my time, which is at a premium.

Please do let us know if this works out for you, though. I am fascinated by the challenge.

I'm also pretty satisfied with my stock of .22s, and the thought of scraping out all that old primer compound on, say, 20 rounds seems a bit too labor intensive given the relative affordability of the round. It's definitely more cool than practical.

ETA:

This guy gave it a shot using pyrodex. He had extraction/feeding issues. he never mentioned resizing the cases, or if the rifle he used them in was the rifle that originally fired the rounds. i wonder if that was a contributing factor. The accuracy was less than desirable to say the least.

Last edited by a moderator:
hell, they want you to cast for it too, uh ah. in a two cavity mold yet. i'll reach back into my hoard of .22's and start using them up. i suppose the only use i see for this is if i had a shtf cabin somewhere, i might stash a kit and a furnace if i had a generator. but trying to melt lead over a wood fire, no thanks.

They sell the kit, the resizing die, and the priming compound which is shipped to you as "separate, safely inert chemicals—which they call “Prime-All”—that become pressure sensitive only after the handloader mixes them together at the loading bench"

I don't know if i'd go whole-hog loading all my own .22s at this point in time, but it might be satisfying to have one of these stashed away as an insurance policy. I betcha back in 2013 these would have been flying off the shelves. the priming compound is $19.95 and supposedly is enough to reload 2,000 rounds.

http://www.ssusa.org/articles/2015/8/18/reloading-22-long-rifle-a-new-option-for-competitors/

http://22lrreloader.com/

lead-photo-22.jpg

If this country ever goes "3rd World", this might be an item you would like to have stashed away, in case the GESTAPO should rear its ugly head again.......

I think of 20 it would be really cool to have and to try.

It also seems like a great way to experiment with or get rid of all sorts of odd powders you may have accumulated over the years. Or heck even try reloading using pyrodex.

So what powder? Unique? [rofl]

Edit: I did see a row for Unique on the load chart...

Last edited:
If this country ever goes "3rd World", this might be an item you would like to have stashed away, in case the GESTAPO should rear its ugly head again.......

I thought this too, but then again, you might be better served with a stash of black powder and a .32 cal squirrel rifle or shotgun if you were after small game for food. Maybe even a high quality air rifle or pistol.

even with the shortages, there is still enough commercially .22 around to never have to use this, unless you didn't plan to see any civilization for a good long while.

That said, i applaud the idea and it's tempting to stash one away for "just in case"

Last edited:
hell, they want you to cast for it too, uh ah. in a two cavity mold yet. i'll reach back into my hoard of .22's and start using them up. i suppose the only use i see for this is if i had a shtf cabin somewhere, i might stash a kit and a furnace if i had a generator. but trying to melt lead over a wood fire, no thanks.

Melting lead over a fire is pretty easy....back when I was a kid we would cast round ball camping then take the black powder pistol down to the pond and have a good time

Back
Top Bottom