Kimber Mass Compliant

I got an email from gun Parlor saying they have the new
KIMBER STAINLESS TARGET II 1911 for $999.99. Bout time we get get a Kimber.

I have an older (pre cohan) Kimber. It was an excellent 1911. I have heard pretty terrible things about them. Not sure were their at today compared to other 1911's in that price point.

When I was test driving .45's for my first purchase, a 3" Kimber 1911 was in the mix. No other gun felt that right in my hand. I would have bought one if not for all the terrible reviews.

I don’t have any experience with them but I have yet to see anyone successfully defend Kimber’s reputation anywhere online. That says plenty.

I had a Kimber Tactical Custom II. Fine hand gun. Like anything else, some good but every now and the you get a bad one ( even WC, Nighthawk, STI, EdBrown, Wesson, GunCrafter, etc) People also turned off due to MM parts. Then they go buy a S&W, Colt, Springfield, Ruger, etc and buy buy a gun with the same MIM parts, and drive over in a car with MIM parts.

i owned a kimber back in '13 or some time there abouts and can't remember the model [thinking] i bought it off a guy at my work place. beautiful 1911, fit, finish, everything. but....it didn't seem to want to function a lot of the time. stove pipes were common. so was failure to feed. it would eject fired casings (when not stovepiping) but not pick up another from the magazine. prior owner swore he never touched any springs in the gun or mag. i dunno. this was before i found lou biondo at bec so i had some no name guy diddling around with it. recoil spring was changed, couple of tweeks here and there, new magazine and then i sold it as fast as i could.

that said, i know a few guys that have owned, and still own, kimber 1911's and are beautiful guns. tolerances as good as any custom gun and function perfectly. like mr. usp45ct said
Like anything else, some good but every now and the you get a bad one ( even WC, Nighthawk, STI, EdBrown, Wesson, GunCrafter, etc)

I don’t have any experience with them but................
Gold Match. Bought it the day before Harshbarger said we couldn't have them. Used it a lot, a real lot, rode hard put away wet type of thing, and it still shoots like a bastard. IIRC I had to bend the extractor a touch when it was new. Agree with mwalsh, have a few 1911's....but this one just feels best in the hand.

kimber.jpg

If it costs $999.99 at that gun owner hating, freedom hating and overpriced sh*t hole, you can probably get it for $799 anywhere else.

You know if you go by the approved roster which Kimber s are now on, you can buy them out of state and have them shipped here if you find a dealer willing to transfer them...which most dealers will because it is on the roster. If you find it for $799 buy it and have it shipped here.

Mine is a custom II from the early 90's. It was $450, new. Fixed sights, "blue" version.
Nothing else at the time could touch it for price and features.
Still going strong.
I changed the plastic mainspring housing and the trigger with decent metal parts, and the rubber grips for hardwood, all just because.
Added a titanium firing pin. No problem with the original. I just like saying Titanium.
The plunger tube came loose after 10 years, (mim?)
This past year it got a new wilson slide stop, the old (mim?) one was rounding off and causing lock back failures.
Other than my eyes getting old and me considering a fiber optic front sight, It just keeps on shootin.

You know if you go by the approved roster which Kimber s are now on, you can buy them out of state and have them shipped here if you find a dealer willing to transfer them...which most dealers will because it is on the roster. If you find it for $799 buy it and have it shipped here.
Even if the Gun Parlor had them at the same price than every other gun shop... I still wouldnt give that place my money.

By the way, this took a full 30 seconds to find:

Screenshot_20200126-111135_Chrome.jpg

Even if the Gun Parlor had them at the same price than every other gun shop... I still wouldnt give that place my money.

By the way, this took a full 30 seconds to find:

View attachment 327312

I concur and that is my point. Find a dealer anywhere.

I bought an Eb Brown from Hyatt in NC. Good people to work with

First, it is not on the standard approved roster that requires lab testing, destruction of 5 guns, etc. It is on the formal target roster which requires a paperwork exercise and an affidavit. The formal target roster is pretty limited in terms of what can get on it.

Most of the Kimbers people are drooling over are not eligible for the target roster and there is no evidence that I have seen that Kimber is prepared to go through the standard roster testing procedure.

Then again, who cares. WAY over priced guns that seem to have a large fanboi following, but are mass produced and no where as good as the competition for the price you are paying.

And again, who cares. If you really want one, they are not hard to get. A little harder than say a Dan Wesson because Kimber is dealer direct and does not go through distribution like most manufacturers. This means it is a little harder for a dealer to get one, but still very doable.

I concur and that is my point. Find a dealer anywhere.

I bought an Eb Brown from Hyatt in NC. Good people to work with

They never would, the Gun Parlor is overpriced on everything. By at least 100 dollars. Not that I would shop there anyway.

Not a Kimber fan. I like my Dan Wessons, and my Smith is E is a fine gun as well, for much less than the Kimber.

I have an older (pre cohan) Kimber. It was an excellent 1911. I have heard pretty terrible things about them. Not sure were their at today compared to other 1911's in that price point.

At one time, Kimbers R&D dept was whatever counter you bought them at.
They look nice, but 1911's are such a saturated market. Take it for what its worth.

I don’t have any experience with them but I have yet to see anyone successfully defend Kimber’s reputation anywhere online. That says plenty.

If you ger one that was built on the right day you'll be happy, otherwise you're looking at typical meh grade 1911 qc levels....

my first handgun was a kimber tle 2 bought way back in 2005. even has the external extractor. Saw it was used by the LAPD swat guys and decide I wanted one too. I've never had issues, but if I could go back I wouldn't get a kimber again.

Me and friend bought a pair of Custom Targets in MAss when we we still free.

Then Harsbarger came along with his consumer protection bullshit.F5BEB805-F112-4D75-A093-A8A37CD32808.jpeg

Under $700.00 each brand new back then. The guns have never had an issue.

The are keepers for both of us.

Me and friend bought a pair of Custom Targets in MAss when we we still free.

Then Harsbarger came along with his consumer protection bullshit.View attachment 328063

Under $700.00 each brand new back then. The guns have never had an issue.

The are keepers for both of us.
My coworker bought a brand new Kimber in MA in 2017 because the list is irrelevant.

Bought the first generation Kimber Stainless LE Target for $680. It out shoots my Les Baer and Wilson Combat Special ,HANDS DOWN ! Racking the slide feels like it is riding on a greased piston, no movement and tight lockup. Love that gun.

Back
Top Bottom