Killer Elite Porcupine Round- Update: Porky is Dead

Based on an experience i had a few months ago, clean it after you dispatch it and enjoy that porcupine in a stew.

My friend got one so i cant comment on yhe difficulty of dealing with the quills, but id give it a shot.

If i were going to take one it would probably be with a very light .223 round or a .357.

Illegal to do, big fine if caught.

OP, use the 30-06. Because reasons.
.30-06 roars. Liberal anti-gun pukes defecate in panties and bleat like sheep on a 911 call. Shooter gets arrested, .30-06 and all other guns/ammo get snatched by police. LTC sprouts wings and soars off to parts unknown, never to be seen again. Yes, a classic playbook plan for success!

12 gauge, 00 Buckshot...does it every time. It doesn't even twitch after you've done the deed...usually.

You don't really want to blast the crap out of it and potentially leave quills laying around. I've never had a problem with 22LR to the noggin for these or any similar size critter. All that fur and quills makes their noggin look bigger than it is, so just be sure to get a shot that counts.

On the ranch’s out west they are killed on site for obvious reasons. 12ga works very well.

I'm surprised nobody has yet suggested using a blowgun with poison darts.
These have been getting the job done for thousands of years:

458px-Achuar_con_cerbatana_%28Amazon%C3%ADa_Ecuatoriana%29.jpg

And this is why porcupine must die, and relocating or ignoring Porky are not options.... Same thing happened to my neighbor's dog a few days ago, and my dogs play in the same space (neighbor's property). Also local Animal Control has confirmed that relocation, even by them, is illegal, but killing it is not.

And this is why porcupine must die, and relocating or ignoring Porky are not options.... Same thing happened to my neighbor's dog a few days ago, and my dogs play in the same space (neighbor's property). Also local Animal Control has confirmed that relocation, even by them, is illegal, but killing it is not.

Dafuq? Why the hell would relocating them be illegal when killing the things is not?

Dafuq? Why the hell would relocating them be illegal when killing the things is not?
Because you're just giving somebody else your problem.

Porcupines are destructive critters. They'll chew up wood siding, axe handles, canoe paddles and you've seen the dog pics. Uneducated idiots tell you to eat them but they have no clue how to dress them out. I killed one with my .45 and three others with a .22 to the head. You wanna eat one? You need to roll them in the coals of a fire and burn the quills off. Stinks like hell, smells like burning hair. You still need to gut and skin them out. You'll get stuck by little quills unless you really burned that sucker good. Better off eating squirrels, rabbits or a beaver (the varmint kind) NO PICTURES PLEASE!! You want to kill animals, learn to do it cleanly. No body shots, just between the eyes and ears.

It is illegal to move ANY wildlife. I caught some bastard trying to let a groundhog out of a trap down the street from my house when I lived in Grafton, MA. I put the kibosh on that PDQ. Didn't want that thing living in *my* neighborhood, any more than he wanted it in his.

What Twigg said. You're giving your problem to someone else.

Now, if only Mass. environmental police would stop tranquilizing and relocating problem bears from the suburbs to my neighborhood when shooting them (as they ought to) would raise a royal ruckus. Bears are a problem here. They break into people's houses and kill their livestock. The state could give a damn about us.

This. Friggin stab-rabbits. I shoot several per year and find they are, pound for pound, the toughest creatures known to man. I used to shoot them with a 223 but found they waddle off. I watched a buddy shoot one in the face with his .45 and it waddled off. I think they are so light skinned/boned that the bullets go right through them without doing much damage.
My best weapon so far has been a .204 Ruger I won in a raffle. They don't waddle off with the 204; that light bullet at hyper-velocity literally explodes inside them.

Funny thing though, Navy SERE training describes porcupines as the easiest meal in the woods. They teach you to walk up and rap them on the nose with a stout stick; dead pig.

I beat a Porcupine in the head with a stick once. We put in in a guys truck and dropped the dump body on it. When he got home and lifted the dumper the damned thing tried waddling off. He grabbed it with a pair of pliers and cut it's head off.

Because if it has rabies you could spread it around. That's the real reason it's illegal to relocate some animals.

Yep, .22 is fine.

Now a groundhog, those suckers would need a .50 cal to end them quickly!

What Twigg said. You're giving your problem to someone else.

Now, if only Mass. environmental police would stop tranquilizing and relocating problem bears from the suburbs to my neighborhood when shooting them (as they ought to) would raise a royal ruckus. Bears are a problem here. They break into people's houses and kill their livestock. The state could give a damn about us.
Well then friend, let me know when they do it again and the setbacks are safe. I will take care of your bear issue real quick.

Back
Top Bottom