• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Killer details murder on Appalachian Trail

Why that guy is still breathing is a mystery.

Why any woman would go out in the woods alone without a sidearm is a mystery.

Why that guy is still breathing is a mystery.

He led authorities to her body in exchange for the death penalty being taken off the table and was sentenced the same day to life in prison. Hilton has since been indicted in another murder in Florida in a strikingly similar case. Those charges have yet to be proven in court.
This appears to be the reason.

The fact that Hilton told authorities he didn't have the heart to also kill Emerson's dog merely repelled them further.

This is stunning.

I blame the anti's for her death. It's these idiots always telling people not to arm themselves and how the gun owners are always fear mongering. You lure people into a false sense of security, people wander out into places alone where they can be preyed upon. Then you look at all the asinine gun laws between states. What are you supposed to do when hiking the Appalachian Trail? When you cant bring your sidearm across state lines legally? That woman that was killed was let down by Anti gun rhetoric and foolish carry laws just to name a few.

I blame the anti's for her death. It's these idiots always telling people not to arm themselves and how the gun owners are always fear mongering. You lure people into a false sense of security, people wander out into places alone where they can be preyed upon. Then you look at all the asinine gun laws between states. What are you supposed to do when hiking the Appalachian Trail? When you cant bring your sidearm across state lines legally? That woman that was killed was let down by Anti gun rhetoric and foolish carry laws just to name a few.

Most people out there really believe the police will help them. The police are typically there to investigate after the fact.

Why any woman would go out in the woods alone without a sidearm is a mystery.

As a woman, I couldn't agree with you more, except to say that I wouldn't go into the woods unarmed whether I was alone or not. As Thomas Jefferson wrote to his nephew, "Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks."

Dude is a sick twisted individual. I truly hope someone in prison makes him suffer as much as possible for months before killing him in the most painful slowest death ever brought upon any living creature to roam the earth. And the prison guards should look the other way, for if they intervened they would deserve to suffer the wrath of hell themselves.

Situations like this make me wish the public had free reign over punishment, and could sentence him to whatever was deemed suitable with no limit as to what was done. I can't even think of a way to make him suffer enough to be just punishment, as being allowed to breath another minute without excruciating pain is more than he deserves.

From that article:

But instead of leaving, Hilton hid in wait for her to come back down the path and when she did, he accosted her with a military knife and a baton. But the woman wasn't an ordinary victim. She had marital arts training and immediately went into a defensive posture, grabbing at the blade and the big stick Hilton was trying to use to subdue her.

Hand to hand skills are a must have for anyone serious about self defense, but a tiny, un-armed little female all by herself is going to appear to be a target to a larger armed male predator, and she will be at a significant disadvantage in a fight, as the result of this story proves, even if the guy didn't have the knife and baton.

Something as simple as a .25/.32 pocket pistol could have worked wonders for her in this situation, or at the very least have hurt him enough to require medical attention and possibly cut short her ordeal.

It's these idiots always telling people not to arm themselves and how the gun owners are always fear mongering. You lure people into a false sense of security, people wander out into places alone where they can be preyed upon.

There's gun owners on this very forum who mock people for carrying guns all the time, or for carrying guns to "safe" places. [thinking]

There's gun owners on this very forum who mock people for carrying guns all the time, or for carrying guns to "safe" places. [thinking]

I have always felt that people are more of a risk when hiking than wildlife. I always bring along a little something for anyone like this sicko. His little knife wouldn't get him far against bear spray and a machete.

I have always felt that people are more of a risk when hiking than wildlife. I always bring along a little something for anyone like this sicko. His little knife wouldn't get him far against bear spray and a machete.

They definitely are on the Appalachian Trail, there's quite a bit of crime all along it. Bring along a pistol or two for people, OC takes people out of the fight roughly 50% of the time in my experience. The cans also aren't as reliable as a gun, and leak, break seals, or get filled with inert "trainer" fluids instead of OC at the factory from time to time.

Back
Top Bottom