• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Kids of yesteryear had the best toys!

Meh.

You can buy this right now on Amazon. Toy guns have always been solid sellers and always will be.

call me buzz killington but I cant believe more kids dont get shot running around with airsoft guns and the like. although i guess to do that you'd have to leave the house
Nerf guns now are pretty wild too.

View: https://youtu.be/IFuwV47fqrI

just picked this one up for my son...and me
Does anyone remember a toy called 6th finger probably from the mid 60’s. They can out during the series the FBI and man from UNCLE era.
link? wife may like one of those

Back in 78-79 or so, I found a, possibly Man from UNCLE, toy gun with a removable silencer in a store down on Cape Cod. I was 10 or so. It was amazing. I think I lost it on the trip back home a few days later b/c I don't recall ever seeing it again.
That, to me, points to a parent hiding it.

Super Elastic Bubble Plastic

Spirograph

Erector Set

Lincoln Logs

Also, that thing you heated up the goop to make bugs or creatures. Can't remember the name.

Legos were great, but of course, they are still around.
But the oroginal Lego sets had garbage wheels among other things and just a few colors.

I had a Johnny Eagle Magumba rifle with the genuine plastic ivory elephant on the stock. I even had (and don't judge me) a pith helmet to go with it.

229-1.jpg
These are the cartridges used by this toy rifle and the M14 toy rifle. I had both. Great fun!

Attachments

• 102_7069.JPG
    102_7069.JPG
    829.6 KB · Views: 4
The Marx company produced plastic Lugers and M1911A1 pistols with moving parts. Slightly reduced in size to fit kid's hands. the M1911 fed plastic cartrides from a magazine and you manually worked the slide to shoot plastic projectiles and eject the plastic cases. The Lugers toggle worked a double-action style but did not have a working magazine. Those were the days!

Attachments

• Marz Toy Luger .1.JPG
    Marz Toy Luger .1.JPG
    726.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Toy guns.1.JPG
    Toy guns.1.JPG
    853.4 KB · Views: 2
Marx also had a line of cast metal toy guns called "Golden Guns." They could fire single paper caps.

Attachments

• Marx Golden gun Luger .1.JPG
    Marx Golden gun Luger .1.JPG
    944.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Marx Golden gun M1911 .1.JPG
    Marx Golden gun M1911 .1.JPG
    1,019.7 KB · Views: 2
Two miracles. That any of us emerged from childhood without being killed or maimed, and that our parents didn’t have a nervous breakdown from our craziness.

Well, two observations -

1. Our parents didn't give two shits. They just didn't. Yet these same people are scared to death about their adult grandchildren. I speak from experience.

2. The ones that were severely maimed or dead-ed aren't here to speak up. So it's sort of a self-defeating observation. "No one here is mentioning they died from this."

;)

The Marx company produced plastic Lugers and M1911A1 pistols with moving parts. Slightly reduced in size to fit kid's hands. the M1911 fed plastic cartrides from a magazine and you manually worked the slide to shoot plastic projectiles and eject the plastic cases. The Lugers toggle worked a double-action style but did not have a working magazine. Those were the days!

Marx was the best. Damn I miss those days.

One of my favorite Christmas gifts in 1977 was the Remco "System 7", which was based in concept on the Johnny Seven. It had a built in periscope, parachute launcher, decoder, and quite a bit more. All features were activated with a super secret key ring that had a 7 on it that fit into locks on the rifle. I think every kid who got one of these lost the special key within a week! I've got one packed away, but it's missing some of the accessories, as most are.

View attachment 714903
I thought that was a folded up keltec.

I bought my nephew a Dukes of Hazzard car back in the early 80’s. That’s me sitting in the background. We went out gun shopping today, and we talked about that car. They bring big money, too bad he destroyed it. That confederate flag is a big no no in the woke universe.

View attachment 715143
Christmas morning, probably 1970. I remember the flip-up rear sight, but don't remember if it was a cap gun or batteries to make noise.
xmas.jpg

does anyone remember the “MGC” cap guns? Ultra realistic (except for materials) I had a HK VP70 that I swore had a real VP70 mag.

There was a hobby shop in The old shoppers world mall in Framingham in the late 80’s that sold them.

does anyone remember the “MGC” cap guns? Ultra realistic (except for materials) I had a HK VP70 that I swore had a real VP70 mag.

There was a hobby shop in The old shoppers world mall in Framingham in the late 80’s that sold them.
I remember taking rolls of caps, and smashing them with rocks. Do they still make cap rolls? My local hardware store used to sell a ton of them.

Back in the 60's I had a steel 1911 that looked and felt like the real thing. The only difference was that the barrel narrowed down to a nipple about 1/4 inch in diameter. You would rack the spring loaded slide then stick the nipple in a potato. This created a small pellet that would really sting when you shot someone with it. I remember I shot some kid in the neighborhood whose mother called my house to complain. My 1911 mysteriously disappeared after that.

Lego still makes interesting models. I discovered this one right after I bought my Jeep:

View attachment 715522

There's a couple of interesting documentaries on adults who build things with lego, amazing things. Here's a group of folks who made a life sized F-150 out of lego:

I like that. I may have to get one of those. What's the pulley wheel in the background? is that part of a desk lamp?

My lego jeep is a much older version
Jeep.JPG

I like that. I may have to get one of those. What's the pulley wheel in the background? is that part of a desk lamp?

My lego jeep is a much older version
View attachment 716079

My home is done in industrial/steampunk and I have various kinds of stuff like that lamp. It is indeed a pulley lamp and one of several in my home. I have 2 matching machine age lamps in my bedroom and even my bedroom set was custom created by a cabinet maker I found in Nebraska, and it's a guy and his wife and they make beautiful furniture. If you like exposed rough wood beams, wood floors and quirkiness I have that in spades. It's a pain to dust though. The same guy also built my audio equipment rack in my bedroom using reclaimed wood and cast iron hardware and I am always looking for little bits of machines and 19th century tech to display alongside my vintage audio equipment. It's what floats my boat I guess. I also have a collection of vintage tin toys including a couple of robots and wind up toy cars.

My home is done in industrial/steampunk and I have various kinds of stuff like that lamp. It is indeed a pulley lamp and one of several in my home. I have 2 matching machine age lamps in my bedroom and even my bedroom set was custom created by a cabinet maker I found in Nebraska, and it's a guy and his wife and they make beautiful furniture. If you like exposed rough wood beams, wood floors and quirkiness I have that in spades. It's a pain to dust though. The same guy also built my audio equipment rack in my bedroom using reclaimed wood and cast iron hardware and I am always looking for little bits of machines and 19th century tech to display alongside my vintage audio equipment. It's what floats my boat I guess. I also have a collection of vintage tin toys including a couple of robots and wind up toy cars.

Sounds very cool! I think we all need a tour (plus, wouldn't mind checking out your Viper sometime)!

Frank

My wife wonders how I managed to survive my childhood as she hears the stories. I grew up in the 70’s and was a teenager in the early 80’s. We really were a different breed. My old man was a WWII vet. His forearm was my seatbelt. Some guys dads drove with a beer and a cigarette too. All the dads were WWII or Korea vets. If you complained about a splinter, they’d show you where they lost a toe to frostbite at Bastogne. If a kid wore a bike helmet (unheard of before 1982), he’d get his ass kicked. I don’t know where we got firecrackers but I don’t remember not having them. Shooting bottle rockets out of those Disneyworld muskets was awesome. We all had those wooden folding lockback knives in leather pouches on our hips, even in school. Nobody called the SWAT team over it.

Holy crap! I’ve turned into Grandpa Simpson!!

Back
Top Bottom