Kids and Hunting

im having a hard time finding a specific answer on this question: can you take kids hunting with you if they’re unlicensed but not aiding you in any way? Is there any age restriction on a state level?

NO restrictions, it's just a walk in the woods. There is a 15 year old requirement to assist IIRC. One gun, one license and believe it or not, you can get an FID card for them without all the rigamarole. Not that a hunter safety course and a firearms course is a bad thing, but under MA law they are avoidable.

I had my kids pick out a stick to carry as a simulated weapon. It teaches them safe muzzle handling.

NO restrictions, it's just a walk in the woods. There is a 15 year old requirement to assist IIRC. One gun, one license and believe it or not, you can get an FID card for them without all the rigamarole. Not that a hunter safety course and a firearms course is a bad thing, but under MA law they are avoidable.

I had my kids pick out a stick to carry as a simulated weapon. It teaches them safe muzzle handling.

There are more restrictions than you mentioned:

The child needs to be 12 years old to actually use a gun or bow while hunting. If the child is under 12 they can be with you but not use the fire arm or bow. You mentioned fid so assume we are talking mass. Maine it's 10 years old can have a youth license and hunt with their own gun as long as a licensed adult is directly supervising...and both adult and kid can have a gun. Mass.....12 years old minimum to use a gun or bow while hunting....period.

Here's the link to mass reg on minors and hunting

Hunting regulations for minors

Be careful about using a kid to "drive" animals......to take part in a deer drive in mass the person must be licensed and have tags.

They can hunt at 12 years old as long as the adult has a license.....and only one gun is being used....aka.....kid can hunt....adult is supervising and does not have a gun. The day they turn 15 they need to have an fid and hunting license to hunt in mass even if a licensed adult is there! Let me say that again for emphasis......the day they turn 15 they cannot hunt AT ALL unless they have the fid and hunting license.....ask me how I know! Plan accordingly.....mass let's you file for your fid now at 14 and a half for that reason.

Last edited:
im having a hard time finding a specific answer on this question: can you take kids hunting with you if they’re unlicensed but not aiding you in any way? Is there any age restriction on a state level?
I responded to another poster....but.....each state is different. What state are you in

In MA, sir.
Ok. Under 12 they can only be with you....they can't handle a fire arm or bow. 12 and over they can actually hunt but The licensed adult has to supervise and can't have a gun on them. The day they turn 15 they cannot hunt with a gun unless they have an fid card.....period. even if your with the kid ans don't have a gun on you.....they can't hunt without an fid when they turn 15.

Thank you. The kids in question are 4 and 3. I have a friend who wanted to take the kids into the woods for a squirrel hunt. They’re definitely not ready to shoot any squirrel themselves but a little exposure to the experience was a possibility.

Thank you. The kids in question are 4 and 3. I have a friend who wanted to take the kids into the woods for a squirrel hunt. They’re definitely not ready to shoot any squirrel themselves but a little exposure to the experience was a possibility.
That's a great plan if your friend thinks they are ready to see where food comes from.

As a hunter who has taken a few kids out there......I'd offer this advice:

1. Have a talk with the kids a day or two before the first trip. Ask them if they know where meat comes from....use that to start the conversation about how it is natural for humans to harvest meat. Get into the midset of a 3 or 4 year old. They truly might not know. Have a good sense that they understand that before they go out with you.

2. When your out there with them.....make sure they shot you take on a squirrel is a good one. Last thing a kid 3-4 years old needs to see is a grey squirrel low crawling to try to get away from you when it's wounded. It happens....and it may ruin the experience for a young child. If you wound one....have the kids stay back while you finish the job then have them come forward.

3. Keep the trips short at first. 1 hour is a long time for a 3_4 year old trying to be quiet in the woods. You don't want a bored kid in the woods.....it'll suck for everyone.

4. If you get one or two......may want to save skinning and butchering until you get home and do that without them watching....every kid is different.....some can handle that at a very young age....some can't.....parent should just be aware of it and adjust accordingly.

And safety glasses....a poke in the eye walking through brush could/will end the day and can result in an unnecessary injury.

Even I wear safety glasses when I go out into my woods.....especially on the four wheeler with the over hanging branches and weeds on the trails.

Every kid is different, whacko had some great advice above. My thoughts are, if the kid is interested take them as young as you can. My daughter has been hunting with me since she was 4, usually only once or twice a year. She is 10 now and gets mad at me if I butcher the deer without her :)

Every kid is different, whacko had some great advice above. My thoughts are, if the kid is interested take them as young as you can. My daughter has been hunting with me since she was 4, usually only once or twice a year. She is 10 now and gets mad at me if I butcher the deer without her :)

That's a win for dad right there!

She should be mad at you.....you are depriving her of education.:D

5. Make sure they have hearing protection

We use me shouting "Cover!" The kids put their hands on the their ears. It isn't quite as effective as wearing earmuffs, I know but:
a) It's better than nothing
b) They can't take their hands off
c) They don't usually lose their hands
d) It helps get them excited in preparation

Now to add a #6 to your list - Make sure you explain the difference between hunting and shopping.

I started bringing my kids at age 4 for pheasant and squirrel. My kids are full of excitement and wonder at being in the woods, and our picnic mid hunt is absolute magic. My kids ask questions about everything they see, everything we're doing, all the stuff I have, etc etc etc.

We. Scare. Every. Animal. Within. Four. Zip. Codes. Away.

My daughter is now 10 and is much better. My son is 6 and is still a wildman. I may bring the girl and see if we have better luck with just the two of us. However, while I don't bring home supper when I take the kids, I could give a crap less - I have 6 years of being with my little girl in the woods, and she looks forward to hunting season every year. That is worth so much more than a bird or squirrel.

The picture of the two kids was after squirrel hunting, hence no orange vest.

IMG_0387.jpeg unnamed.jpg

We use me shouting "Cover!" The kids put their hands on the their ears. It isn't quite as effective as wearing earmuffs, I know but:
a) It's better than nothing
b) They can't take their hands off
c) They don't usually lose their hands
d) It helps get them excited in preparation

Now to add a #6 to your list - Make sure you explain the difference between hunting and shopping.

I started bringing my kids at age 4 for pheasant and squirrel. My kids are full of excitement and wonder at being in the woods, and our picnic mid hunt is absolute magic. My kids ask questions about everything they see, everything we're doing, all the stuff I have, etc etc etc.

We. Scare. Every. Animal. Within. Four. Zip. Codes. Away.

My daughter is now 10 and is much better. My son is 6 and is still a wildman. I may bring the girl and see if we have better luck with just the two of us. However, while I don't bring home supper when I take the kids, I could give a crap less - I have 6 years of being with my little girl in the woods, and she looks forward to hunting season every year. That is worth so much more than a bird or squirrel.

The picture of the two kids was after squirrel hunting, hence no orange vest.

View attachment 246675 View attachment 246676
Let me throw a guess....is that crane pond wma in the pics? On the power lines?

Nope. The little one with my son is Southampton WMA and the big one with both is in Southwick. Oddly, neither picture was near power lines, but they do have that look.
Looked familiar.....

Anyway nice hunting with the kids. My boy has loved squirrel season since he was 12.......he's 17 now and still goes with me. We have a good time out there and he out hunts me every time!!!!

In the PRM, Minors under the age of 12 MAY NOT hunt.

I've run through this with more than one EPO, and they tend to take it seriously.

Remember that "hunting" is extremely broadly defined in Mass - any act of harassing or worrying an animal. I'd say that having a 4-year-old on a squirrel hunt is a no-go. If you're unsure, call the EPOs from a burner phone.

Years ago, a Falconer friend of mine invited me out. My job was to hit brush piles with a ski pole. I asked an EPO if I'd been hunting without a license. "Yeah, but we generally leave flaconers alone, 'cause they're crazy." [laugh]

What? Cite, please.

Ok. Under 12 they can only be with you....they can't handle a fire arm or bow. 12 and over they can actually hunt but The licensed adult has to supervise and can't have a gun on them. The day they turn 15 they cannot hunt with a gun unless they have an fid card.....period. even if your with the kid ans don't have a gun on you.....they can't hunt without an fid when they turn 15.

Not quite right, but on a technicality - if they have a Primitive (i.e. BP muzzleloader, without 209 primer) they do NOT need an FID, as it's not a gun under Mass and Fed laws.

Before the FID application process was changed, to allow application before one's 15th birthday, the State's Youth Pheasant Hunt had a few BP guns for kids that were past their 15th birthday, but had not yet received their FID card.

You are correct for modern (i.e. fixed cartridge) arms.

As for 12-15: one gun can be shared - the kid is not required to constantly have the gun, nor is the adult prohibited from holding, or using it. The kid is an extension of the adult's license, and one person's bag limit, etc. must be observed.

Not quite right, but on a technicality - if they have a Primitive (i.e. BP muzzleloader, without 209 primer) they do NOT need an FID, as it's not a gun under Mass and Fed laws.

Before the FID application process was changed, to allow application before one's 15th birthday, the State's Youth Pheasant Hunt had a few BP guns for kids that were past their 15th birthday, but had not yet received their FID card.

You are correct for modern (i.e. fixed cartridge) arms.

As for 12-15: one gun can be shared - the kid is not required to constantly have the gun, nor is the adult prohibited from holding, or using it. The kid is an extension of the adult's license, and one person's bag limit, etc. must be observed.
Technically your right about bp......but who the heck besides those gun clubs has bp shotguns hanging around?

smokey-seven said
and believe it or not, you can get an FID card for them without all the rigamarole. Not that a hunter safety course and a firearms course is a bad thing, but under MA law they are avoidable.

MisterHappy said What? Cite, please.

Section 129B: Firearm identification cards; conditions and restrictions
(iv) is at the time of the application younger than 14 years of age; provided however that the applicant shall not be issued the card until the applicant reaches the age of 15.
(v) is at the time of the application more than 14 but less than 18 years of age, unless the applicant submits with the application a certificate of a parent or guardian granting the applicant permission to apply for a card;

1. General Laws
2. Part I
3. Title XIX
4. Chapter 131
Section 14 Hunter education programs; issuance of licenses to minors; target practice; confiscation of firearms

The division of law enforcement shall establish the content of said courses. A person, upon the successful completion of said course shall be issued a certificate of completion except that nothing in this section shall require the issuance of a certificate of completion, to a person who is under the age of fifteen.

The director or any city or town clerk shall issue a hunting or sporting license to any minor fifteen to seventeen years of age, inclusive, who presents to the person authorized to issue such license, either a written statement that at all times when hunting or target practicing other than on a duly recognized range said minor shall be accompanied by a person eighteen years of age or older, or a certificate of completion as provided in this section.

Note the keyword "OR".

In the PRM, Minors under the age of 12 MAY NOT hunt.

I've run through this with more than one EPO, and they tend to take it seriously.

Remember that "hunting" is extremely broadly defined in Mass - any act of harassing or worrying an animal. I'd say that having a 4-year-old on a squirrel hunt is a no-go. If you're unsure, call the EPOs from a burner phone.

Years ago, a Falconer friend of mine invited me out. My job was to hit brush piles with a ski pole. I asked an EPO if I'd been hunting without a license. "Yeah, but we generally leave flaconers alone, 'cause they're crazy." [laugh]
This is why in one of my posts I said be careful about driving or taking part in any way. If a kid under 12 is with you they need to be just with you and not taking part in any way.....that's my understanding of it anyway.

This is why in one of my posts I said be careful about driving or taking part in any way. If a kid under 12 is with you they need to be just with you and not taking part in any way.....that's my understanding of it anyway.

Just as well - my kids are TERRRIBLE pointers. I thought I could get them to act as flushers, but they don't do that too well anyway.

Now that I know, I'll make sure not to try to use them as retrievers.

Just as well - my kids are TERRRIBLE pointers. I thought I could get them to act as flushers, but they don't do that too well anyway.

Now that I know, I'll make sure not to try to use them as retrievers.
I hear your humor. However......I'm sure there are folks out there that would instruct their kids with no hunting license to go take a walk to get the deer moving.

smokey-seven said

MisterHappy said What? Cite, please.

Section 129B: Firearm identification cards; conditions and restrictions
(iv) is at the time of the application younger than 14 years of age; provided however that the applicant shall not be issued the card until the applicant reaches the age of 15.
(v) is at the time of the application more than 14 but less than 18 years of age, unless the applicant submits with the application a certificate of a parent or guardian granting the applicant permission to apply for a card;

1. General Laws
2. Part I
3. Title XIX
4. Chapter 131
Section 14 Hunter education programs; issuance of licenses to minors; target practice; confiscation of firearms

The division of law enforcement shall establish the content of said courses. A person, upon the successful completion of said course shall be issued a certificate of completion except that nothing in this section shall require the issuance of a certificate of completion, to a person who is under the age of fifteen.

The director or any city or town clerk shall issue a hunting or sporting license to any minor fifteen to seventeen years of age, inclusive, who presents to the person authorized to issue such license, either a written statement that at all times when hunting or target practicing other than on a duly recognized range said minor shall be accompanied by a person eighteen years of age or older, or a certificate of completion as provided in this section.

Note the keyword "OR".

Those are restrictions on whom may not apply.

IANAL, but it seems to me that

Section 131P: Basic firearms safety certificate; instructors; public service announcements

[Subsection (a) effective until January 1, 2021. For text effective January 1, 2021, see below.]

Section 131P. (a) Any person making application for the issuance of a firearms identification card under section 129B, a Class A or Class B license to carry firearms under section 131 or 131F or a permit to purchase under section 131A who was not licensed under the provisions of this chapter on June 1, 1998 shall, in addition to the requirements set forth in said section 129B, 131, 131A or 131F, submit to the licensing authority a basic firearms safety certificate; provided, however, that a certificate issued by the division of law enforcement in the department of fisheries, wildlife and environmental law enforcement pursuant to the provisions of section 14 of chapter 131 evidencing satisfactory completion of a hunter education course shall serve as a valid substitute for a basic firearms safety certificate required under this section.....

Link to full text: General Law - Part I, Title XX, Chapter 140, Section 131P

Takes precedence. If you can find me any person that was granted an FID card (not counting the old paper "Indefinite" ones that magically went away [laugh]), without the cert required by statute cited above, or without the Military exemption that was recently enacted, I'll buy you a year's membership here on NES.

Now.... you can get a hunting license without an FID (bow, Primitive arms, falconry). But I don't think that you're correct that there is a way to avoid the rigamarole of taking a course to get an FID, other than joining the .mil.

I'm not an EPO, and I don't play one on TV but in a HE class I was teaching, a student asked if a kid under 12 could be "with me while I'm hunting," and the EPO said, "No." At least, that's how I remember it, and I could be wrong; that's why I put the "contact the EPOs" comment in a previous post. You'll be talking with them, not me, or NES, out in the field.

Back
Top Bottom