1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Kidney Stones

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Mr Weebles, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Mr Weebles

Mr Weebles

Sunday I woke up at 7 with an incredible amount of pain in my lower abdomen on the left side radiating all the way to my groin. Every so often I would try and go to the bathroom and would get nauseous while on the throne. This went on and on for a few hours and included several bouts of vomiting. I couldn't hold anything down, even a third of an apple I tried to eat.

Around 11:30 the pain got incredibly intense so I said screw it and went to the ER. At that point I couldn't get comfortable no matter what I did.

They admitted me, took blood and gave me an IV with anti-nausea medication and some kind of painkiller. It got better for a while but an hour after seeing the doctor the pain came back and I had to call the nurse for a puke bucket. Fortunately I didn't hurl and the pain subsided. They took me for a CT scan and it turned out I have a kidney stone.

Mother of all that is holy, the pain is incredibly intense. The nurse said the only comparison is childbirth.

They gave me a bunch of prescriptions so I went and had them filled and headed home.

Has anyone here had these? I swear to God above the pain was so bad I thought I was dying.

2. Starscream23

Starscream23

yes, my family is prone to getting them. try curling up in the fetal position. that should help. and use some hot pads for your back,and side area. the good sign is the last time i got one. the Dr gave me a 10% chance of passing it and would have had to go threw my pee pee to get it out. which i hear is horrible. 10% my ass. it came out the morning b4 surgery. thank god. if they wanna put a stint in. i would do anything to not have that done. which includes drinking alot of fluids. i heard one guy say that he had a 6 pack of beer and it went out. i guess the bubbles do move it around causing it to move out the body. i drank a shit load of sprite and it came out for me. and took all my pain pills to help. but even the pills really don't help against kidney stones. it just helps a small amount.

p.s. once it comes out have the stone sent to the lab and the lab can tell you which foods to stay away from that cause them to grow in your body. for me it was chocolate and cereal. chocolate pebbles were my favorite but had to give them up.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  3. mclina

mclina

I had one a few years ago. It hurt like hell for one night and part of a morning, I went to the ER and they gave me some painkillers and I peed it out a day or two later.

The real pain comes as it is tearing its way through your kidney. Once it gets into your bladder, you are home free.

Do they have you peeing into a coffee filter so you can catch it and have it analysed? They blamed mine on too much diet Pepsi.

Two years later, they blamed my gall bladder full of stones on too much diet Pepsi, then I finally woke up and stopped drinking the stuff.

Good luck.

4. ront02769

ront02769 NES Member

Yup. Had them twice a few years apart. As already mentioned, drink a LOT of fluids and hopefully it will pass on its own. If not, there are various treatments depending on size. But trust me NONE of the treatments are as bad as the stone itself! Ron

5. Mr Weebles

Mr Weebles

The CT scan yesterday showed it was entering the bladder. When the thing traveled from my kidney to there, I swear I could feel it move. The pain center shifted.

No coffee filter. I don't care to examine the thing.

6. frenchman

frenchman NES Member

My bother is a tough sumbitch. I've seen that guy, with my own eyes, walk to school over a mile, with a broken foot (mea culpa: I broke it), at age 12. He didn't even complain. 20 years later, I saw him cry out of pain because of a kidney colic and subsequent passing of kidney stones. It must be horrible.

7. Zielstrebig

Zielstrebig

Hope you feel better soon.

8. edhead35

edhead35

I've had them twice. Terrible. I shrunk them both by drinking copious amounts of lemonade and cranberry juice before the final exit.

9. Kicker96FS

Kicker96FS NES Member

Yes, the pain is incredible. I get uricacid stones. Mine were so big they went up my junk to get them out![shocked]. To keep them at bay I am on a gout med.

Good luck with yours.

10. napoleon1815

napoleon1815 NES Member

You can get a "penile probe" done (sounds a lot worse than it is)...they can go in and grab the stones out. It's called a Cystoscopy. I believe it goes into the bladder and stops there.

11. EJFudd

EJFudd NES Member

Been there, done that. Will probably be going through it again. In fact, I go through it fairly regularly with the smaller ones. For the bigger ones, I am checked yearly by my urologist. I take pills for it now. No way to tell if it really helps or not.

Took three hospital procedures to get rid of my biggest one. Let's hope and pray that yours is smaller and more easily passed or treated.

12. MAGG

MAGG NES Member

oh yeah..had a similar experience to you..woke up on Thanksgiving Morning to head to the families...felt like I squished my boys getting into my car...only the pain didnt go away. I was driving and it intensified....I was all over the highway swerving and lucky it was was only 7 am and the roads were sparce. Pulled over at Bunker Hill COllege and hurled.. Called my sister and said meet me at south shore hospital. The pain for me was on my right lower ab and groin. I was laying on the ER floor screaming and moaning in pain. Was the worse thing I ever felt pain wise in my life. It took 45 minutes to be seen and I was literally the only one in the ER. They got me up I had to throw up again. Got me on a gurney and the doc figured it was stones. Then they gave me the life saving morphine drip which sent me into the cosmos and next thing I knew it had been 4 hours and I had undergone catscans and other tests but didnt recall it. The nurse who had them said she had kids and would rather give birth than have a stone. Turns out I had twins to the size of 2 millimeters or something........the morphine made me feel weird for a few days. But then the real pain came a few weeks later to the tune of $4,000 ******* dollars for my trip there.

13. edhead35

edhead35

There are a few elements to it. When the stone is still and then starts moving through your organs, which is where the back pain, puking and wanting to kill yourself comes from. Then there is the final passing through the pee hole which is awful. I got lucky in that I shrunk them down before they passed. I wanted to die nonetheless. Both times I got stones I was in a cycle of drinking nothing but soda and coffee and overworking. Been keeping up on hydration and acidic drinks and been fine for a few years. Knock on wood.

14. Starscream23

Starscream23

its not so you can examine it. its so a lab can tell you what not to eat to not get them again. you dont want them again, do you?

15. edhead35

edhead35

It definitely shifts. One of mine shifted to just below my waist in the front and stayed there for a week.

16. cyberlogicx

cyberlogicx

Did they say how big it was? One of my lasers is used to surgically remove them, if they are too big to pass.

17. Timber

Timber

Lay off the Crossfit for a while.

18. Mr Weebles

Mr Weebles

3mm x 4mm

19. Canndo

Canndo NES Member

I'm having flashbacks! A few years ago I went through this. Initially it felt as if I got kicked in the balls. The pain radiated around to my lower back. I was nauseous and sweating. I went to the ER at MGH and was misdiagnosed by an intern. She thought I had "testicular torsion", and told me to take ibuprofen. She made me feel like I was there seeking drugs! I drove from there directly to my doctors office. He new immediately what was going on. After he called and ripped the intern a new one, I was given pain meds and a CATscan. All the while the pain is escalating. THE PAIN MEDS DO NOT WORK by the way. I went from Percocet all the way to hydromorphone without relief. The morphine before the procedure took the edge off only slightly. They went in through my penis, zapped the stones (which were stuck in the ureter) with a laser, and pulled the pieces out. I was left with a catheter hanging out of my penis with a string tied to it. The other end was a pigtail inside my bladder. I was told to remove the catheter myself, in the shower, in a few days. The removal of the catheter is worse than the stones themselves! You pull the string inch by inch until it is out of the bladder and through your penis. Upon removal, a shockwave of pain and spasms hits your bladder and overwhelms you, leaving you in the fetal position on the shower floor, half conscious. Urinating afterwards brings the same intense pain back.
    I now take Clorthalidone religiously for calcium type stones. I'm supposed to drink a ton of water as well. I don't wish kidney stones on anyone.

20. Mr Weebles

Mr Weebles

I've successfully avoided it so far.

21. Timber

Timber

Sounds like a wild white boy party.

22. Radtekk

Radtekk NES Member

I'm a CAT Scan Tech, have been for 17 years. Been working in ER's the whole time, done more CT's for kidney stones than there are stars in the sky. So, some truths for y'all...
    1) Most kidney stones are from a buildup of calcium, got zip to do with what you drink (soda, beer, juice, etc) and everything to do with what you eat and how your body metabolizes it. Drinking less soda means you drink more water, which is the part that matters because hydration means urination which means more flushing before calcium has a chance to build stones.
    2) Kidney stones do NOT shrink, ever. As they pass through the ureter (the tubes that connect the kidneys to the bladder) the back-pressure against the kidney diminishes a little. The ureter may also enlarge slightly, but kidney stones do NOT shrink. EVER.
    3) Once they enter the bladder the relief is generally immediate, lasting precisely until they enter the urethra, the tube that drains the bladder through the penis (and the oh so aptly named "pee hole") at the end. The urethra is generally a slightly larger diameter than the ureters, so the transit hurts less, right to the end, where it hurts like a mofo. Transit time in the urethra is rapid, since the bladder is contracting to empty itself like a water balloon and the pressure forces the stone through.
    4) Some kidney stones are too big to pass on their own. Lithotripsy is sound waves used to break them up. Google it, I'm not going into an explanation here. Sometimes a procedure correctly identified above as a cystoscopy is done. Anesthesia allows a scope to be passed through the penis, into the bladder, and then up the ureter to grab the offending stone in a basket for removal. Good drugs make it "painless".
    5) Speaking of pain, the drug of choice is usually Tornado, a non-addictive med just as effective as Morphine, which can be addictive. An anti-nausea drug like Phenergan is also helpful.
    6) Having seen stones and childbirth, and having female patients that have gone through both weigh in, I'd recommend childbirth any day.

2 people like this.
  23. Canndo

Canndo NES Member

It was no party. I assure you. [laugh]

24. ColdDayInHell

ColdDayInHell

This, I've known some tough people that have said it is unbelievably painful. *knocks on wood *

Good luck op

25. powerman

powerman NES Member

One of my medical friends indicated do the Coke and asparagus trick when my wife had them and it worked.
    she was in pain for days. figured she give it a try and it worked.
    she loves asparagus, and she had to choke it down on what was recommended.
    look on internet for info, some poo poo it but it worked for here.
    My wife and I had triplets and she said kidney stone pain was worse.

26. Quiet

Quiet Banned

When it hits the ureter it can feel like a rat is biting at the tip of your gun.

Please don't ask me how I know.

27. mrmike7189

mrmike7189

I had two of them age 19 and again at age 25. I'm 41 now hope to NEVER get them again! The burning pain after passing a stone is the worst. It feels like you pissed a razor blade and burns for days like a rug burn from hell. The doctors could only guess what caused them . The told me calcium first time, then uric acid next time. who knows?
    A Morphine IV in the hospital works wonders. Helps pass the time ......and the stone peacefully

28. tele_mark

tele_mark

Had 'em about 1.5 years ago. At first I thought my lower back was going out. Then the pain wouldn't go away after a few back cracker visits. Three days into it the pain got so bad I went to the 3rd World environment known as the Leominster Hospital ER. After spending 6 hours in the waiting room I got sent on my way with a pain med prescription. I literally couldn't sit or lay down for three days, which meant I was up on my feet pacing in the house for about 18 hours for three days before the rum and cokes over the pain meds permitted me to pass out each night, only to wake up in even more pain the next morning. Worst pain I've even experienced.

29. Boghog1

Boghog1

Sounds almost like what I went through in August 2012. Welcome to the club. 5mm stone passed without incident

30. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

very important to GET THE STONE if you pee it out! Use one of those strainers they should have given you at the hospital. If you can catch the stone, they can analyze it and figure out WHY it formed. There are like 5 different possible ways to form. If they know its composition, they will give you a diet so you can not form them again (like no spinach/kale/beets, stuff like that).

and yeah they really hurt. a kind of pain that even narcotics do not help much

and in the mean time, drink a shit load of lemonade