• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Kid in GA faces FELONY charge for swiss army knife found in his car

drgrant

NES Member
Man, this "zero tolerance" shit is getting out of hand:

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/14043836/detail.html

Look at this gem here:

“When the principal said to me, ‘This could kill someone,’ I said to him, ‘So could a pencil.’ My son did not have this on his physical body, did not have it on him, it was not in his backpack, it was not in his locker. It was in the console of the car,” said Sharon.

Oh for f***s sake. That's just freaking stupid. A Swiss army knife for God's sake. What, like 90% of the population probably owns something similar. The suspension is one thing, but now a felony charge as well? Heck, why not just screw the kids life up some more? As it is now he may never going to college, or find a good job and will probably end up living off the state because of stupid zero tollerance law.

Truely insane.

[hmmm] This is really getting out of hand. I had no idea Georgia was moonbat country. Ruining a kid's life over a friggin pocketknife is nothing less than officially sanctioned bullying.

“When the principal said to me, ‘This could kill someone,’ I said to him, ‘So could a pencil.’

All I can think of is a scene from one of the"Mob movies" (Can't recall which one) with Joe Peschi & Robert DeNiro where some guy in a bar is pestering DeNero trying to get a look at his pen. Joe Peschi's charachter picks up the pan and starts stabbing the guy in the neck over and over.

I was very bloody IIRC.

I'll refrain from further commentary. Feel free to use your imagination. [wink] [smile]

Letter to Mr Fred Sanderson, superintendent of the Cobb County School District. [email protected]

Dear Mr Sanderson,

I just read with disbelief the story of how Will Chandler is being charged with a felony by your school district.

Leaving completely aside the idiotic notion that a knife in his car equates to his carrying it into school, I can't believe what I'm reading. Have we completely gone mad as a country??? Mr Sanderson, when I was about 9 or 10 years old, I got my Knife & Axe Cub Scout merit badge. That very day, my proud father went out and bought me a pocket knife - one with a three inch blade, just like Will Chandler's knife. I CARRIED THAT KNIFE EVERY DAY IN SCHOOL FROM THAT DAY ON. Never stabbed anybody, never assaulted anyone with it.

I guess that simply carrying it, though, makes me a felon who just never got caught.

Please reconsider these charges - they're a disgrace to this country, a disgrace to the school, and a disgrace to you, since you are the superintendent of the school district and as such, responsible for everything that goes on in that district. Drop them - they serve no one any useful purpose.

Unreal

I'm confused. I just read the article linked to in the original post and it states their policy is suspension and a criminal charge. How does a school district have the power to press a criminal charge against someone? Am I missing something? Does someone know if there's some type of judlicial or law enforcement tie in with the school district?

There must be more to this story, unless under Georgia law possession of a 3 inch folding blade is felony material. If it's because of it being on school property, well, they must also have scissors, a paper cutter and of course pencils in there too; can the kid use those or is that felonious also?

Hate to tell you that isn't just school policy in Georgia, it is also school policy here. You wouldn't believe all the crap they have come out with.
As I keep repeating if I had another kid to put through the public school system, I WOULDN'T do it.
I think most of us at various times carried pocket knives.Shoot it was nothing new,didn't phase anyone.

When the car was parked on school property,unfortunately. Like I said you would not believe all the crap that goes on in our schools.

how does that not violate illegal search and seizure?

I mean... i can see, locker, desks, book bags and such... i guess i can see metal detectors at entry ways... but at what point are they crossing the line of violating civil rights here???

Unless he was committing a felony... I can't see where they have the right to search hs car.

He left school campus... ok, you get suspended for leaving school without premision... (I did this and got cought myself)... the school PD did not search our car, frisk us or anything... simply said, "come with me boys"

we each got 3 days... and that was fair and just, and NEVER did it again.

Mind you... im only 33, so this wasnt all that long ago.

You can get suspended for leaving school campus these days? Holy crap...I used to walk over a mile home on many of my lunch breaks so I wouldn't need to suffer school lunches.

I mean... i can see, locker, desks, book bags and such... i guess i can see metal detectors at entry ways... but at what point are they crossing the line of violating civil rights here???

IMO schools have been doing this stuff with reckless abandon,
especially post-columbine. The answer is "It's for the
children" and few people question it, except when things like
this happen. The schools get told "no you cant do that"
when challenged, but nothing really changes.

Some interesting info on schools WRT 4th amendment issues:

http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/conlaw/searches.htm

-Mike

It's pretty much standard for publich schools to require students to sign a blanket "consent to search without warrant" contract as a condition for being issued a parking sticker.

I went to high school just a few short years ago in a very liberal school in the middle of DC. Couple of kids there (not me) would whip out swiss army knives in the middle of class to take care of something or even to lend to the teachers. This is sad.

we never had parking permits...

and big freaking deal... oooo a 3" swiss army knife.... something EVERY boy should have from the time they are 9 years old IMO...

in the trunk of my car i had a freaking baseball bat (and glove and ball), crow bar, tool box filled with tools like screw drivers, hammers, wrenches, and even a utility knife...

give me a freaking break.

worse than that

It's pretty much standard for publich schools to require students to sign a blanket "consent to search without warrant" contract as a condition for being issued a parking sticker.

There was a supreme court decision in 1984 that allows schools to have greater power to search students than a police officer would over an ordinary person on the street. The rationale being that schools are charged with the safety and well being of the students and this power was not unreasonable, yadda yadda. Anyway, if they do give you a form to fill out, it isn't required for them to be able to search a kids locker. The car in the parking lot probably falls under the same rule.

I was in high school during Columbine and that wave of school shootings that happened 8-10 years ago. As a result I got to witness, first hand, the implimentation of a trend of 'Zero Tolerance' policies. I was on the Speech & Debate team, and we used to discuss them often. I used to refer to them as 'Zero Intelligence' policies. It seemed like stories like these would come up once a week.

The bottom line was that if you had put these policies in place before Columbine or the other tragedies that they were intended to prevent, they still wouldn't have prevented them. And if you catch a student with a knife or gun and think they're a danger, you don't need a 'Zero Tolerance' policy to justify expelling them, or pressing charges against them. The only thing a 'Zero Tolerance' policy does is take the power to moderate punishment away from those who are most familiar with the situation, teachers and administrators. And the kids who get hurt by 'Zero Tolerance' policies are always the good kids.

Tell me, does anyone have an arguement as to why we need to ruin this young man's entire life because he forgot to take a swiss army knife out of his car???

Tell me, does anyone have an arguement as to why we need to ruin this young man's entire life because he forgot to take a swiss army knife out of his car???

Why does a dog lick his balls? ... Because he can. That seems to be all the reason these people need.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom