1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Kickboxer Death

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by weekendracer, Apr 8, 2016.

1. weekendracer

weekendracer

I just stumbled across this video. Just a reminder of how easy it is to have dramatic damage done to you. The fight doesn't look that brutal, maybe one of you see's a shot I missed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaK-rBBMd6Q&nohtml5=False

I only saw 4 hits to the head, not even what I'd consider a staggering shot in the first round. The commentator shows problems at the start of round 2, so the damage was already done in the 1st round.

1 person likes this.

2. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

once your brain starts bleeding, you really only have maybe 15 minutes before it is all over, UNLESS someone has a power drill and a 1/4" drill bit handy!

3. CTpatriot

CTpatriot Banned

and a bit stop.

4. knfmn

knfmn

Only if you're a sissy. Real men just eyeball it close enough. :D

5. silversquirrel

silversquirrel NES Member

Masking tape works as a great bit depth gauge.

6. CTpatriot

CTpatriot Banned

the third round was tough to watch. i dont see where he was effectively protecting himself.

7. MachineHead

MachineHead NES Member

He was toast after the first round. There was lack of proper oversight by the physician and referee.

His threshold was probably very low and he those four hits were probably enough to cause start the swelling. Round 2 and 3 were where his fate was sealed. Delays in getting him out of there didn't help either.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  8. weekendracer

weekendracer

Makes me wonder now, if he was amped up with something that thinned his blood? Loads of aspirin or does ibuprofen do that too?

I've seen fights where I was surprised the guy didn't die, this one was kinda meh from a visual observation. Are there rules about what and how much of a substance you can take before a fight?

9. Mountain

Mountain NES Member

No kick boxer here, but I used to compete in karate and BJJ. Not until the very end of round 2 do I see anything from Munson that clearly concerns me. Referee should have checked both corners, if only briefly, at end of round two. There's clearly something wrong with Munson as he begins round 3, but damn that guy is tough and is giving it a go. At this point he should be watched closely but debatable whether or not to call it.

Not until ~40 seconds left in round 3 does he look like he can't defend himself. At ~16 seconds left in round 3 he takes an undefended hard shot to the head and clearly stumbles. Maybe too late, but at this point the ref and docs should have stopped the fight and had a closer look. It's pretty obvious here that he's in trouble.

At the end of round 3, the missing footage from one source is highly suspect. The footage from the other source shows there is clearly a problem but IMO it still doesn't look like the guy has major trauma until he collapses. Even at that point, fighters have walked away from what appeared worse. The doc is clearly an inattentive dipshit and distracted by his cellphone. Munson was one tough SOB which may have masked his dire condition, so I don't blame the ref 100%. IMO the doctor was clearly negligent.

10. KBCraig

KBCraig NES Member

Ditto. Neither fighter landed any blows that would be damaging.

Yes, he was wobbly... but so was his opponent. First-fight amateurs are notorious for running out of gas early on, because they don't know how to pace themselves, plus they're simply not conditioned to go the distance.

11. slugworth

slugworth

Wow...

That's sad..

12. GPP

GPP NES Member

I remember watching the Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini / Kim Duk-koo fight live in 1982. I had started boxing for real about 6 months prior, and all I could see in my head before that fight was dozens of Silver Mittens and Golden Gloves titles in my future, I mean **** it, one of my great uncles was Tommy Rawson, I couldnt lose.
    That fight changed my headspace and timing exponentially.

1 person likes this.
  13. richc

richc NES Member

That fight was a war. Toe to toe slugfest. A brutal boot.

Even after taking the fatal blow he tried to crawl up the ropes and keep going. What a great.

Iirc Mancini was never the same. He was a religious guy who took the death very hard.

14. M1911

M1911 Moderator NES Member

Not necessarily. It really depends upon how badly it is bleeding. My elderly mother fell flat on her face on concrete one evening. She had a scan the next day, and was in neuro surgery at midnight, more than 24 hours after the fall. She recovered completely.

1 person likes this.
  15. AlKatori

AlKatori

Going from that video to a linked one on the fate of pro-wrestlers was kinda crazy. It's amazing the number of those guys who dropped dead due to heart problems in their 30's and 40's.

It seems to me like there should be more than one ring side doctor to give an on site second opinion.

16. Reptile

Reptile NES Member

Best part was at 4:45.

Great rear end.

Then it all went downhill...

17. mremski

mremski

There was a documentary about that fight and Mancini's life afterwards, with footage of interviews with Ray. Yes, it almost broke him as a human being. The end of the documentary was heartlifting: they flew Kim's wife and son over to the US to actually meet and spend some time with Ray. That helped both families heal.

18. Zappa

Zappa Road Warrior NES Member

Reminds me of this Bob Dylan song:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2017
  19. new guy

new guy NES Member

Was just reading about the fight. I guess the ref ended up killing himself in '83, and Kim's mother drank a bottle of pesticide 3 months after being there when they pulled her son off life support. What a mess.

20. M1911

M1911 Moderator NES Member

Many (most?) professional wrestlers abuse steroids, which can weaken the heart.

21. Tommy Gun

Tommy Gun NES Life Member NES Member

Ticking bomb, could have gone off at any time.

22. FreeWillie

FreeWillie NES Member

2nd Round at 0:19 left in the round, I would have walked him to his corner and called it a fight.

23. mclina

mclina

Seems like most of the blame should be placed on the kid's coach. That's the guy who was looking him in the eyes between rounds, propping him up and sending him back out to fight.

A lot of the commentary sounds like 20/20 hindsight. "Well I would have noticed that one funny step and immediately stopped the fight"

24. FreeWillie

FreeWillie NES Member

It was pretty obvious that at the end of the second round the guy was out of the fight. He was barely able to stand much less punch or protect himself. His posture was awful, movement labored and uncoordinated, shoulders slumped, hands down. He looked like he walked in off the street and jumped into the ring. He looked completely exhausted. The ref, doc and his corner really let him down.