1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. NES Life memberships are now available, click here for details.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

[email protected], Bulletproof Dishwasher?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Mountain, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Rekonn

Rekonn NES Member

Don’t get a Frigidaire. Our Gallery model was also bought for aesthetics, and after 4 years now frequently stops mid cycle with a beeping sound and an error code that has nothing to do with whatever problem it actually has. (Plan to get it serviced soon to find out) Also, has a leak at bottom left of door, requiring me to put a little Tupperware or something there every time.

2. Waher

Waher NES Member

Do you think the Glocks wash themselves son?!

3. toekneepea

toekneepea NES Member

Had a Whirlpool that was a POS. My wife cooks everything from scratch and we run the dishwasher 2-4 times / day. Just replaced it with the cheapest BOSCH since we're in a little apartment and will hopefully be moving soon. General construction on the Bosch, insulation, everything was better for half the price of the Whirlpool it replaced... the Bosch is quieter too.

4. Mountain

Mountain NES Member

Thanks everyone. Funny that the best performing dishwasher I had was an old buttons and dials (Whirlpool?) one in our first home. Ugly as sin but damn could it wash a dish. Should have wrapped it in foil and told the wife there's your stainless dishwasher.

Most votes going to Bosch.

Nah, in this household Mrs. Mountain is the sandwich maker. LOL...

A dishwasher is the best way to strip the grunge off of an old USGI M1 stock. And true alpha males shoot M1's, not plastic beta guns. (I keed, I keed...) But if anyone tells Mrs. Mountain about this at a future NES shoot, I'm a dead man. And no, none of you can have my guns.

As mentioned, more time to make sandwiches. [smile]

5. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

Like the others... Bosch

6. Oldarmy

Oldarmy

I just turned my dishwasher into a snowblower, I bought her a shovel.;)

silversquirrel likes this.
  7. dhuze

dhuze NES Member

An island surrounded by land on three sides
  8. drumenigma

drumenigma NES Member

We bought a semi expensive LG a few years back. It is terrible compared to the cheaper one we had before it. Dishes were coming out dirty even though it has a self cleaning filter. I had to replace several parts and even after that it's still giving me problems. There is currently a leak coming from I know not where. We are at the point where I think we are just going to buy a new one. Maybe go back to a cheapo Maytag or something.

9. Mountain

Mountain NES Member

Self-cleaning filter was the first thing to go on the KitchenAIDS. Terrible design with a weak plastic connection that broke within the first year. Seems that the entire industry is adding cheap gizmos then cranking up the price, when all the consumer really wants is clean dishes and reliability. I swear there is some market space for a line of American made appliances that are built like a tank yet simple enough to have an affordable price point.

Even the commercial ones are crap. I bet my club could have bought two new units given what they have spent on dishwasher repairs.

10. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

i have a Bosch too. and it is wicked quiet.
    But realize...the european style dishwashers do NOT have a waste grinder built into them, so all that food crud just collects in the washer screen, and needs to be cleaned out. I hand wash crud off the plates before putting them into the dishwasher.

Most American dishwashers have a waste grinder built into the pump, so any left over food crud just goes down the drain...like it should

ldi likes this.
  11. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

The ONLY dishwasher i ever loved....was a professional one in an industrial kitchen. Put the dishes in a plastic tub. slide it in. throw a small cup of detergent in. Close the cover. turn the selector handle to HOT and let steaming hot water slosh around the dishes for a minute. Then turn the selector handle to RINSE and let it rinse for 20 seconds. And that is that....less than 2 minutes later, clean sterilized dishes.

Modern dishwashers ONLY take so long because the water temperature is so low. Use 180F water, and it only takes a minute to do the job.

12. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

Is that Sexist...or Racist...or both...or????

i will have to report this on #MeToo

Oldarmy likes this.
  13. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

Grinder or not all dishes and utensils get rinsed prior to going in the dishwasher. Never lived in a house without a dishwasher and my parents had rules and that was just one of them. Prevents the dishwasher from stinking as well.

ldi likes this.
  14. Jason m

Jason m NES Member

Work on them and see different models everyday. The old model Bosch is hands down the best. I say old model cause about a year ago Bosch changed that rugged design to another style, time will tell if it will live up to what most ( like me ) love about the Bosch.

This is why I fix the older ones, the biggest problems are "no drain" and "weak wash cycle". No drain is normally user error, not rinsing plates enough, broken glass or yes the drain pump is getting weak and burns out.
    Low wash and noisy is a broken pump impeller, up until about a year ago Bosch made you buy the wash pump assembly along with a new motor, expensive job. But now you can buy just the plastic impeller and replace just that, over time the two halves of the molded impeller split in two.
    The labor stays the same but the cost is down cause you don't buy the motor.

Again time will tell if the new Bosch live up to the older models performance, I think they will.

Jason.

Mountain likes this.