Khukuri Knife

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
I am curious if anyone here has any substantial knowledge and/or experience with khukuris (correct plural?).

A G Russell is advertising one in their current catalog which they say is finished in Nepal. It looks nice in the picture and the cost is up there ($279). But I know just enough to know that I don't know enough. Russell has a good reputation so I am tempted.

Also, they have an interesting version of the Karambit. It's a folding mini-karambit, a folder with a 1" blade. Good for key chain carry although my key chain is getting rather crowded with other good little key chain objects. I think I am going to get two to experiment.

I have a Khukuri, made In Nepal. I don't recall what I paid for it but I doubt I paid that much.
If memory serves me, there are lots of garage type shops that make knives in Nepal and quality varies from one to another. This one is nice but really when I need to chop my way through stuff, I use my Kershaw Machete.
1554167275427608633365.jpg the flip side of the blade says GK&CO. The handle is a cheap bakelite. The brass parts are plated. But it is quite stout and took a nice edge.
The leather of the sheath is thin and would wear out with extensive use.
It does impress people if I flash it at work, hack a 2x4 with it, gash a truck tire open.

I traded an actual Gurkha for his kukri, in Kosovo in 1999. His price was a Gerber multitool.

You want one with a horn handle and a dished blade (on both sides). $279 seems far, far too high for an authentic user. They come in various lengths, the longest being less useful for almost anything other than brandishing.

Frankly, I can’t think of too many uses for a kukri that other tools wouldn’t do just as well, or better.

Frankly, I can’t think of too many uses for a kukri that other tools wouldn’t do just as well, or better.

You are probably correct. Unfortunately the same thing can most likely be said about many other things men/boys like. :(

Traditional Filipino Weapons makes a nice Kukri. I've purchased many items from Ron over the years. He's a great guy and sells top quality products that won't break the bank.

Went there and the very first knife featured was a Kukri, very similar to the AG Russell offering in shape and price. But almost a pound heavier.

I think I am going to do more research before I pull the trigger (unsheath the knife?). An awful lot of information out there to review and digest.

You are probably correct. Unfortunately the same thing can most likely be said about many other things men/boys like. :(

I have a 15” utility-type (Ang Khola model) from Himalayan Imports that sees a substantial amount of use, from splitting kindling to limbing to clearing underbrush and small trees.

It bridges the gap between machete and hatchet very well.

ETA: Himalayan Imports kukris are handmade in Nepal, and have either water buffalo horn or wood handles. The less expensive models are not expensive at all.

Yup.

$70 is still slightly high, but it’s in the ballpark. That kukri looks a lot more like mine.

Save your money and buy a Claymore...

800px-Scottish_claymore_replica_%28Albion_Chieftain%292.jpg

If you want a real nice one with some history look up IMA.

Nice, yes. But muy expensive.

Although, on reading this thread, I’m starting to figure out my ideas on kukri valuation are probably outdated. Though a genuine greasy late-Victorian kukri at under $100 doesn’t seem bad if you’re into the history.

I have a 15” utility-type (Ang Khola model) from Himalayan Imports that sees a substantial amount of use, from splitting kindling to limbing to clearing underbrush and small trees.

It bridges the gap between machete and hatchet very well.

ETA: Himalayan Imports kukris are handmade in Nepal, and have either water buffalo horn or wood handles. The less expensive models are not expensive at all.
Agreed. Got my khukuri from H.I. back in 2011. Handles all that you mentioned very well. Happy to have it.

Hold out for a Kris.
COLLECTIE_TROPENMUSEUM_Kris_met_schede_TMnr_A-1448.jpg
I've trained FMA on and off for a decade, and never fully appreciated the Kris. My Guro has one, and it is a fine weapon, but I've always found them to be unwieldy. Perhaps it is due to my size - 5'9, 170lbs.

My preference is for mid-range blades like the Kukri, machete, Kambutili or Janap for strong hand and a smaller blade for the left . You can find a high quality Kris here at a decent price. kris | Search Results | Traditional Filipino Weapons

Got my khukuri today from The Khukuri house Intl. Got a few issues, reaching out to them already. I'll give them a little time to address the issues before Posting a formal review. I have issues with them.
Thanks. Interested in the outcome.

I got one from Nepal, it's mid length, made from a truck spring. Sharp but thick blade, beautiful knife, but honestly too heavy to bring backpacking, and the sheath is useless. There were hot spots on the handle that had to be smoothed out a bit.

I prefer my KaBar kukri machete for work around the yard, and they cost about the same.

I've trained FMA on and off for a decade, and never fully appreciated the Kris. My Guro has one, and it is a fine weapon, but I've always found them to be unwieldy. Perhaps it is due to my size - 5'9, 170lbs.

My preference is for mid-range blades like the Kukri, machete, Kambutili or Janap for strong hand and a smaller blade for the left . You can find a high quality Kris here at a decent price. kris | Search Results | Traditional Filipino Weapons

My favorite FMA weapon is the Barong - Just feels right to me.

Nepalese Kukri's are interesting because they're a handcraft made by 'masters' in an extremely poor country, with all the innovation, failure, and triumph that implies. I have one of the high-end Kukris imported by Himalayan Imports, and the metalwork is pretty rough.

The woodcarving, however, is a work of art that would never be equaled by a domestic company that can't afford have someone sit around carving 1 knife all day. I imagine a great deal of time went into it.

It's on my wall in a place of prominence. I wouldn't ever take it camping.

Nepalese Kukri's are interesting because they're a handcraft made by 'masters' ... I have one of the high-end Kukris ... I imagine a great deal of time went into it.

It's on my wall in a place of prominence. I wouldn't ever take it camping.

How about if there's a home invasion.
Will you take it off the wall for that?

Back
Top Bottom